Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Joe Franklin 1926-2015

Swithin

Joe Franklin, an important figure in keeping the performing arts of the past alive, has died aged 88. For decades, on radio and television, he celebrated the history of stage and screen and brought attention of it to a new generation. He is credited with giving Al Pacino a break, before Pacino become famous. I had the pleasure to work on a project with Joe once. His encyclopedic knowledge was exceeded only by his kindness.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/25/nyregion/joe-franklin-local-talk-show-pioneer-dies-at-88.html?_r=0

Joe Franklin, an important figure in keeping the performing arts of the past alive, has died aged 88. For decades, on radio and television, he celebrated the history of stage and screen and brought attention of it to a new generation. He is credited with giving Al Pacino a break, before Pacino become famous. I had the pleasure to work on a project with Joe once. His encyclopedic knowledge was exceeded only by his kindness.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/25/nyregion/joe-franklin-local-talk-show-pioneer-dies-at-88.html?_r=0

Wasn't he only known locally in NYC?

Wasn't he only known locally in NYC?

Pretty much. I'm sure everyone in the tri-state area of my generation would remember him. His "Memory Lane" was on channel 9 at some ungodly time in the morning; 1 or 2 a.m.  I remember watching a movie one night, falling asleep on the couch, and when I woke up, he was on. That's when I knew it was time to turn in.

Pretty much. I'm sure everyone in the tri-state area of my generation would remember him. His "Memory Lane" was on channel 9 at some ungodly time in the morning; 1 or 2 a.m.  I remember watching a movie one night, falling asleep on the couch, and when I woke up, he was on. That's when I knew it was time to turn in.

That's also my memory. Very film knowledgeable man and did seem like a nice man. When I think of CH 9 in NY, I think of Million Dollar Movie and Joe Franklin's Memory Lane.

RIP Joe Franklin

I thought he was dead. at any rate, always liked seein' ol' joe on WOR when I was a kid. :)

That's also my memory. Very film knowledgeable man and did seem like a nice man. When I think of CH 9 in NY, I think of Million Dollar Movie and Joe Franklin's Memory Lane.

RIP Joe Franklin

yeah, the ol' million dollar movie and the theme to GWTW. :)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings