Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Luis Buñuel

Shaun451

Is anyone at TCM reading this? If so, why is it for the Canadian schedule you are not airing The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (1972) or Diary of a Chambermaid (1964) for the Luis Buñuel event? They are both airing on the US schedule and instead for Canada there is a two-movie gap at 10pm and 12am. These are probably among his best films and yet these are the ones that are excluded. I can't believe this would be a rights issue but I could be wrong.

Maybe you don't know who it is because you're spelling his name incorrectly.

At the risk of sounding unbearably snooty, it is my belief that you should know who Luis Bunuel is, even if you haven't seen any of his films.

(Select whatever emoticon you like  _____.)

I be sorry. :)

Well, obviously there's no need to apologize, and certainly not to me. If anything, I suppose I should be the one to apologize for being snooty. (But I'm not going to.)

However, the best way to find out who Luis Bunuel is (was- he died in 1983-) would have been to watch the films TCM was showing tonight. So, did you?

I don't know, but speaking for myself, i would sooner sit through a 24 hour loop of "Bunny O'Hare" than try and make sense out of "The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie" once more.

I do NOT get that film.

You ain't lying. I watched about 45 minutes of it, then went on IMDB to read what folks wrote about it. Every review and most message board comments were highly praising the film. Maybe I'm stupid, but it seems it's necessary to have an advance degree in film studies or literature analysis to understand it. I have a degree in accounting so that wasn't in my wheelhouse.

I don't know, but speaking for myself, i would sooner sit through a 24 hour loop of "Bunny O'Hare" than try and make sense out of "The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie" once more.

I do NOT get that film.

LOL. Bunuel is an acquired taste. I have no idea how "tired' Bette's films were, was just paraphrasing the poster! 

Well, obviously there's no need to apologize, and certainly not to me. If anything, I suppose I should be the one to apologize for being snooty. (But I'm not going to.)

However, the best way to find out who Luis Bunuel is (was- he died in 1983-) would have been to watch the films TCM was showing tonight. So, did you?

no, I was thinkin' on the great storm of 2015 that nobody but new england really got. :)

I recorded Viridiana which was on in the morning. I hadnt seen that one. I just sorta go with the flow with Bunuel. Not sure I always understand what he's trying to say, but unsure if he has a literal meaning behind what he does or not. You cant say they arent entertaining!

Luis Bunuel? The personal (birth) name of Pope Paul VI. Is there a

practical/financial reason why TCM keeps showing the same Bunuel

films over and over again?  TDCOTB and BDJ have become his

NBNW. Not that they aren't good films, but his filmography is

extensive enough to have many other good choices.

LOL. Chalk it up to a good rental agreement...........

Luis Bunuel? The personal (birth) name of Pope Paul VI. Is there a

practical/financial reason why TCM keeps showing the same Bunuel

films over and over again?  TDCOTB and BDJ have become his

NBNW. Not that they aren't good films, but his filmography is

extensive enough to have many other good choices.

TRISTANA is on the schedule in March.

I see. A scheduling error.

hi,no, not a scheduling error,probably TCM  assumed the rights were not including Canada,sometimes the usa  schedule will differ because of this, but several times it did not,so i always check what`s airing inmstead of taking the canadian schedule for granted and like i said it pays off,but for this  the canadian subscriber must look or prerecord,regards

Good, but repetitive. I really shouldn't complain, because it's good to

have foreign films in prime time instead of the usual 2 a.m. slot.

Viridiana is one of my favorites. I almost was going to stay up and

watch it, but decided to go to bed instead.

That's good to know. I hope I like it.

Always hard to tell if someone else will like a film that you like.

I don't think this is much of a spoiler, but some of the overall

plot elements are similar to Diary. I got a kick out of old daddy,

the shoe fetishist. He died with his boots close by.

I dont remember much about Chambermaid, so not much of a spoiler, but dont say anymore! (LOL)...

I do NOT get that film.

I should properly warn all to not read this post if you have eaten recently or if you are planning to eat soon...

The best description which I have read is that surrealist movies are much like: Baluts.

Baluts are great delicacies in Philippines, Indonesia and Vietnam. The best command high prices. Much has been written comparing subtle differences in variety, aging and preparation. People often praise their favorite as best in the world and call all others foul garbage.

Typical method to prepare Balut: incubate fertile duck egg for from twelve to twenty days until fetus is fully formed. Boil in water, urine or wine. Serve with side removed so that they can be picked out or with end removed so that they can be slurped out whole.

To explain why surrealist movies are much like them: people who love them regard them highly, appreciate subtle differences between them and have definite favorites while those who do not love them feel that they are nauseous abominations and question the sanity of any person who likes them.

I am near to being in latter camp as regards Baluts but my love for the absurd makes me appreciate surrealist movies. I find great differences between them and so there are many which I love dearly and there are many which I consider worthless garbage.

I believe that whether person "gets" particular surrealist movie depends on their taste, whether that particular movie speaks to their experience and their innate comfort with symbolism employed.

• Like 1

I hope this observation isn't blatantly obvious to those who have seen Belle de Jour (1967) more than once, or that I’m sharing something previously discussed. However, last night while watching the film, the first time in many years, I noticed a man I could swear was Luis Buñuel in one of the scenes. The action takes place in the park and sets up the segment when Catherine Deneuve’s character takes a trip to the country. The gentleman (count?) steps out of the carriage and briefly pauses beside one of the tables, to his right, and we catch a glimpse of Buñuel nervously sipping a cup of coffee (or tea). Did anyone else notice this last night or on a previous viewing, or did I simply imagine seeing the director?

I don't confess to necessarily understanding his films, but certainly was in hog heaven last night, especially with TDCOTB and The Exterminating Angel.  Please TCM, more Luis Buñuel!  I even bought special popcorn for the evening.

But I think I'll pass on the Baluts, SansFin. :unsure: