Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Looking for the name of a movie

messinger3

Hi everyone, sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I'm new here and I'm posting because I have had no luck trying to recall the name of a movie I saw on TCM. Allow me to describe it and maybe someone will be able to give me its name.

When I came in on the movie they were in a restaurant scene. *the film is in Black and White* the lead actor was just meeting the leading lady. The actor had a gympy foot and I thought the lead actress was Bette David, though I'm not sure.

The actor was totally in love with or captivated by the lead lady and stayed so throughout the film. I think they married, then divorced or she cheated then they divorced. She married someone who abused her I believe, and he took care of her still loving her. She left again once she was well. She finally died with him still loving her I believe. It's been a while since I saw the movie.

The main thing is he walked with a limp and she was a loose woman. Can anyone give me the name of this movie? Thank you so much. 

messinger3 does the happy dance as she thanks HelenBaby2. Thank you so much.  "Of Human Bondage," that is definitely the movie. I had always heard about this movie but never saw it. So when I saw the title in a TV Guide listing I decided to check it out. I was amazed! This movie is the epitome of bondage insofar as love. It goes ways beyond love for him. Yet, it doesn't seem to touch present-day stalkerism. You feel sorry for Philip and everyone who has loved so deeply.

If anyone sees it in TCM's line-up again please let me know.  Also "Wild River." I love that one for much the same reason. :)

Of Human Bondage (1934) is in the public domain and can easily be found on YouTube and other sources.

The troubled 1964 remake pops up on TCM occasionally, and the 1946 version, notable mostly for its Korngold score, escapes from the vault every blue moon or so.

For fanatics there's also a live 1949 TV version with Charlton Heston and Felicia Montealegre (sp?), better known as Mrs. Leonard Bernstein. It is out there for those willing to do some searching.

It was scheduled for Thursday, April 27 at 7:30am.

Right day of the week, but wrong day.  It's playing on Thursday, April 23rd, to be followed by the Kim Novak / Laurence Harvey 1964 version.  There's also a 1946 version with Eleanor Parker and Paul Henreid that's not currently scheduled, but you're not missing anything.  The Davis / Howard version is by far the best of the lot.

23 Thursday 6:00 AM China Sky (1945)  

A dedicated doctor joins the Chinese in their fight against Japanese invaders.

DirRay Enright CastRandolph Scott , Ruth Warrick , Ellen Drew .

BW-78 mins, CC,

7:30 AM Of Human Bondage (1934)  

A medical student falls prey to a sluttish waitress.

DirJohn Cromwell CastLeslie Howard , Bette Davis , Frances Dee .

BW-83 mins, CC,

9:00 AM Of Human Bondage (1964)  

A medical student risks his future when he falls for a low-class waitress.

DirKen Hughes CastKim Novak , Laurence Harvey , Robert Morley .

C-100 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

Thank you everyone for the info. Yeah I saw on Wiki there were a few versions. I think I'll try and catch the Bette David one. It's up kind'a early in the morn but...  Is there much of a need to compare the two? Novak is not Bette David not even as Bette was just being introduced in this movie wasn't she?

I'll put them on my calendar, if I oversleep I'll try for the other.

Stay dry in the DMV mockingbird66. :)

Right day of the week, but wrong day. It's playing on Thursday, April 23rd, to be followed by the Kim Novak / Laurence Harvey 1964 version. There's also a 1946 version with Eleanor Parker and Paul Henreid that's not currently scheduled, but you're not missing anything. The Davis / Howard version is by far the best of the lot.

23 Thursday 6:00 AM China Sky (1945)

A dedicated doctor joins the Chinese in their fight against Japanese invaders.

Dir: Ray Enright Cast: Randolph Scott , Ruth Warrick , Ellen Drew .

BW-78 mins, CC, 7:30 AM Of Human Bondage (1934)

A medical student falls prey to a sluttish waitress.

Dir: John Cromwell Cast: Leslie Howard , Bette Davis , Frances Dee .

BW-83 mins, CC, 9:00 AM Of Human Bondage (1964)

A medical student risks his future when he falls for a low-class waitress.

Dir: Ken Hughes Cast: Kim Novak , Laurence Harvey , Robert Morley .

C-100 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

Oops. Sorry about that. I even had it wrote down. Oh brother. Thanks Andy. I never knew about the later versions. In your opinion, how do they rate compared to the original?

Thank you everyone for the info. Yeah I saw on Wiki there were a few versions. I think I'll try and catch the Bette David one. It's up kind'a early in the morn but...  Is there much of a need to compare the two? Novak is not Bette David not even as Bette was just being introduced in this movie wasn't she?

I'll put them on my calendar, if I oversleep I'll try for the other.

Stay dry in the DMV mockingbird66. :)

Hate to be this way because you're new here and Welcome by the way. However, her name is Bette Davis, not David. This wasn't her first role but it was a breakout role for her. She wasn't nominated for an Oscar but there was a vigorous write in campaign to give her the award, which she won the next 2 years for Dangerous and Jezebel. She's my favorite actress of all time and had a lot of great movies.

Oops. Sorry about that. I even had it wrote down. Oh brother. Thanks Andy. I never knew about the later versions. In your opinion, how do they rate compared to the original?

Hard to say, since I couldn't make it through the first half hour of either the 1946 or 1964 versions, and I love Kim Novak. Bette Davis and Leslie Howard are perfectly cast, and I can't see how their version could be improved upon.

Hi everyone, if you're in the Northeast I hope all is well with you. Thank you HelenBaby2... it was a simple typo that I missed. Eye problems. I'm sure it'll happen again. I don't see a spell check button. These sites need to stop thinking everyone has a modern comp and browser.

Bette Davis

Thank you for correcting me on the first outing for Miss Davis as well. I stand corrected. :)

Bette Davis did a guest spot on "Gunsmoke," does anyone know if she won an Emmy for the role; or was the cat even available back then? Not the Emmy, the Emmy for guest appearances.

Hate to be this way because you're new here and Welcome by the way. However, her name is Bette Davis, not David. This wasn't her first role but it was a breakout role for her. She wasn't nominated for an Oscar but there was a vigorous write in campaign to give her the award, which she won the next 2 years for Dangerous and Jezebel. She's my favorite actress of all time and had a lot of great movies.

Hate to be this way, but while Davis did win Best Actress for DANGEROUS (1935) the following year, she didn't win again until three years later for JEZEBEL (1938).  I want to say Louise Rainier won the interim two years.

Bette Davis did a guest spot on "Gunsmoke," does anyone know if she won an Emmy for the role; or was the cat even available back then? Not the Emmy, the Emmy for guest appearances.

Bette Davis did not win an Emmy for her Gunsmoke appearance.

FYI, Davis also did a first season episode of The Virginian, entitled "The Accomplice", as well three episodes of Wagon Train.

Oops. Is my face red! Should have checked my facts. Mea culpa.

Don't feel bad, I was so thrilled when I found the movie in April's schedule...and then I write down the wrong date.

Oh I love Bette Davis too. I like Eleanor Parker and Laurence Harvey, although those versions are not as good I take it. It's hard to top Bette.

The problem with OHB is the male lead may be unplayable. Howard could handle the puppy love but not the bitter hatred, while Harvey was the reverse. Heston struck a bit better balance, but was far from ideal. About Henreid, the less said the better.

Hmmm.... These actors make up their own 4-H Club.

The '46 version has that Korngold score, as well as interesting visuals with cinematography and sets. Parker's not bad either.

The '64 has some effective photography, but is most notable for the war zone created on the set by Kim Novak (original director Henry Hathaway was forced off the film). She and Harvey loathed each other, which you can sometimes see onscreen despite their best efforts to appear lovey-dovey.

Hi everyone, how's your day going? Doggoneit Richard Kimble, you made me want to watch both of these versions. I have no problem with Kim, it's that Harvey has never struck my fancy. His expression never seems to change. Never! I'll be up so I may as well watch both and make the comparison for myself.

Too bad Miss David never won for that role. I watch WE-TV and they used to run "Wagon Train" on Saturdays and on weeknights. However, they have in the past few months changed that. Too bad! I liked "Wagon Train." I am however having a problem placing Bette Davis in the series. I'll look it up. I know a lot of noted actors made appearances in the westerns. Some of these actors went on to the big screen some to the small screen. I've seen a lot of Dennis Hopper in the past few days on "Rifleman" and of course Eric Braeden made a home on "Gunsmoke" along with the late Jeanne Cooper.

Thanks everyone... get over that hUMp!

Hey I have a question. Do you guys watch the red carpet coverage on award night? It seems the red carpet is not what it used to be. The glamor of Hollywood has been replaced by a lot of ex Mickey Mouse Clubbers and sit-comers who have been thrown onto the silver screen. I know a lot of old Hollywood has died off and we should make room for youth, it's being forced down our throats if you ask me; but still these children don't offer the exquisiteness of the well-established Hollywood which has either stepped aside or been pushed aside to make room for the youth.

I just needed to rant about that. Don't everyone throttle me at once.  :D 

I don't mind the Henreid/Parker version.

Me either. I dont think the Novak version is all that bad either. The Davis film suffers from being too short. The later versions take more time with the story (and the 64 version is more realistic as far as the sex is concerned....)

It's BETTE DAVIS not DAVID, that's what might get you "throtlled" if you keep posting her name incorrectly LOL

Hi everyone, I hope you're all enjoying a pleasant Friday.

I have already been admonished about that lavenderblue19, I made the correction in a subsequent posting. Did I make the typo again? I vote they move the "S" and "D" keys to separate rows on the keyboard.  :)  

Sorry Hibi, I can't comment on the Novak version until and unless I see it. 

Hi everyone, I hope you're all enjoying a pleasant Friday.

I have already been admonished about that lavenderblue19, I made the correction in a subsequent posting. Did I make the typo again? I vote they move the "S" and "D" keys to separate rows on the keyboard.  :)  

Sorry Hibi, I can't comment on the Novak version until and unless I see it. 

I believe if you would put your wedding ring back on this will greatly increase the chances of your "S" finger depressing it's key before your "D" finger knows what has happened.

Hi everyone, how's your day going? Doggoneit Richard Kimble, you made me want to watch both of these versions. I have no problem with Kim, it's that Harvey has never struck my fancy. His expression never seems to change. Never! I'll be up so I may as well watch both and make the comparison for myself.

See now I like Laurence Harvey. I've only seen The Manchurian Candidate and Walk on the Wild Side. I don't know about his face never changing expressions but when I watched TMC he made me feel anger towards him, embarrassed for him that he never stood up to his mother and even pity when he knew no one liked him. So I think I will watch the other version of Of Human Bondage. Maybe I will like both.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings