Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dumb Reporter of the Day

darkblue

Danielle Demski, reporter for TNT, complimented Rashida Jones on her tan.

Rashida is African-American - her father is Quincy Jones. Her mother is Peggy Lipton, which helps to explain her lighter shade of "black" and her remarkable beauty -  so it's not surprising that some people might think she's "white".

But an entertainment reporter? Aren't they supposed to know about these things before they go putting their feet in their mouths?

Anyway, I thought it was funny.

By the way, Rashida's response was "I'm not tan, I'm ethnic".

Rashida is African-American - her father is Quincy Jones. Her mother is Peggy Lipton, which explains her lighter shade of black and her great beauty -  so it's not surprising that some people might think she's "white".

But an entertainment reporter? Aren't they supposed to know about these things before they go putting their feet in their mouths?

What's interesting is that Rashida's older sister Kidada once told Glamour magazine that Rashida passed for white when they were in school. Kidada, who was engaged to rapper Tupac Shakur when he was assassinated in 1996, is darker than her sister and had a tougher time dealing with white classmates.  

In her own defense, Rashida, who strongly resembles her actress mother, responded that she couldn't help how she looked. "This is my natural hair, these are my natural eyes! I’ve never tried to be anything that I’m not," she said. "Today I feel guilty, knowing that because of the way our genes tumbled out, Kidada had to go through pain I didn’t have to endure. Loving her so much, I’m sad that I’ll never share that experience with her."

Rashida is African-American - her father is Quincy Jones. Her mother is Peggy Lipton, which helps to explain her lighter shade of "black" and her remarkable beauty -  so it's not surprising that some people might think she's "white".

Just curious, someone who is half black and half white, if the person lies in the sun, he or she won't tan at all?

Interesting Time magazine composite.  Is this how everyone in the United States will look in a thousand years from now.  Will time make the word race irrelevant after everyone is merged in the "The Melting Pot"?

multi+factor.002.jpg

But some people won't wait a thousand years. Nigerian pop star Denica pushing a Michael Jackson dream come true. Wonder if Coppertone is losing sleep over this?

denicawhite.png

Heard a joke a long time ago, Michael Jackson and David Duke were to collaborate in a movie called "Whiter Than White" :lol:

Interesting Time magazine composite.  Is this how everyone in the United States will look in a thousand years from now.  Will time make the word race irrelevant after everyone is merged the "The Melting Pot"?

multi+factor.002.jpg

Didn't "Bullworth" say something to that effect?  Like,

"We're gonna keep FU**ING each other 'till we're all the same color anyway....."  :lol:

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Didn't "Bullworth" say something to that effect?  Like,

"We're gonna keep FU**ING each other 'till we're all the same color anyway....."  :lol:

Sepiatone

Or to quote Thomas Jefferson, who certainly knew whereof he spoke, "TAXATION WITHOUT MISCEGENATION IS TYRANNY".

• Like 1

Well, I looked both sisters up, and they're both exceptionally beautiful.

You should take a look at their younger sister Kenya, who is 21 and an aspiring model. Her mother is the German beauty Nastassja Kinski, who starred in the 1980s movies "Tess," "Cat People" and "Paris, Texas."

kenya-kinski-th.jpg

Interesting Time magazine composite.  Is this how everyone in the United States will look in a thousand years from now.  Will time make the word race irrelevant after everyone is merged the "The Melting Pot"?

If that happens, people will be clamoring to identify themselves with ANY race. I find it humorous almost everyone when asked about their heritage will say, "plus a little Native American". Even my family says that and I see zero evidence of it. It's as if everyone wants to be something they consider exotic.

I wonder what happened to names like Lisa, Susan and Pamela? 

• Like 1

If that happens, people will be clamoring to identify themselves with ANY race. I find it humorous almost everyone when asked about their heritage will say, "plus a little Native American". Even my family says that and I see zero evidence of it. It's as if everyone wants to be something they consider exotic.

I wonder what happened to names like Lisa, Susan and Pamela? 

I have a neice named LISA, one of my daughter's friend's is named SUSAN, and HER boss is named PAMELA, and ALL are under 40!

I've never heard anyone say, "plus a little Native American", usually, it's "I got SOME Indian blood", and nine out of TEN times, THAT blood is CHEROKEE!

And, it seems, NObody wants to be part of "The Melting Pot" anymore.  Look how many recent Mexican immigrants paint and decorate their homes to look like they're still in Guadalajara, listen ONLY to Mexican music, only watch UNIVISION, and despite having lived in The United States for a few generations, STILL don't teach their kids to speak English by the time they start school, letting the SCHOOLS hold up the education of OTHER children in order to let those kids catch up!

Like that story my Grandmother told me long ago, which more or less addresses MY family's take on the whole thing...

When my Grandmother was 14, my Great Grandfather, HER Father, gave her a box of staples to take to the "New poeple who moved into RUBLE'S old farm".  When my Grandmother got there, she noticed they were an Italian family.  They had decorated the house with a table with a checkered tablecloth, flowers hanging on the walls, and candles stuck in WINE BOTTLES with wicker fastened to the bottoms,...in other words, as SHE described it, "It looked like how you'd IMAGINE a farm house in ITALY would look!"  When she got home, she asked her Father (my Great-Grandpa), "Why don't WE have anything in this house to show that we're POLISH?"  He asked her what she meant, and she described the other farmhouse to him, and ended the story with the "imagined" Italian farmhouse analogy.  He then pointed to the front door and said, "Out there, by the road.  The MAILBOX says KUROWSKI!  How more POLISH do you WISH?"  Well, she then repeated the part about how the new neighbor's house looked like a farmhouse in ITALY might look!  To which my Great Grandfather replied, :

"If I WANTED my house to look like a farmhouse in POLAND, I would have STAYED in Poland!"  'Nuff Said!  He then walked out of the room with an exasperated sounding sigh and shaking his head back and forth.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Love that story, Sepia...

I have a neice named LISA, one of my daughter's friend's is named SUSAN, and HER boss is named PAMELA, and ALL are under 40!

We just had this talk over dinner last night & the kid said there's a girl in school with the name LuckyStar123. No lie. The kid asked her how she got such an unusual name and she said, "It is my Mom's email". smiley-shocked019.gif

"I got SOME Indian blood", and nine out of TEN times, THAT blood is CHEROKEE!

That's because it's your region....around here everyone claims to be Iroquois. I live among the Onondaga Nation and interact with them on a daily basis. Historically, I don't think it very common for Native Americans to have mingled with "white folk"...at least as often as claimed.

And, it seems, NObody wants to be part of "The Melting Pot" anymore.  

Unless it's smoking pot, that's my take on it too.

MrTiki has neighbors on one side from Liberia and the other side from Kenya. Their kids speak without accent and are doing well in school. The parents embrace being American and are tickled to do typical "homeowner" chores....think of it....putting your garbage by the CURB and the government disposes of it? Wow.

What annoys me is people who blast their music outside disturbing my otherwise very quiet city neighborhood. When I ask them nicely to turn it down and keep it to themselves, they will retort "I'm LATINO and being LOUD is part of my heritage!"

I then remind them they are now living in the US and it isn't our culture to disrupt and annoy their neighbors, which they resent. Mr Tiki gets this exact same attitude & excuse from Latino inmates too, who constantly shout and disrupt the facility.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings