Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Movies" Channel

DownGoesFrazier

I just discovered that "Movies" has been added to my basic cable offerings. They seem to show, with commercials, pretty decent films from the '70s and '80s. The first film I saw was FUN WITH DICK AND JANE, which wasn't bad. Any comments about this channel? 

My local station switched over from thisTV to MOVIESTV on one of its secondary channels that is on cable.  So far, it has been pretty good.  Tends to show same movies a lot and there are commercials.  I think they do blocks at certain times, e.g. film noir late at night one night.  

Believe they show the entire movie but add in the commercials so the run times can be quite a bit longer.  I record them and then watch later so I can FF through the commercials.  One problem is that the commercials are pretty repetitious and mostly local. Same car dealer shouting about his cars every 30 mins. or so.  Yes, shouting has returned to commercials, especially those for local companies.

Check out their website for more information.

"Movies" and THIS are NEXT to each other on MY cable.  I check in now and then to see what's ON "Movies" often.  My wife and I recently watched the channel's broadcasts of LA BAMBA and THE BUDDY HOLLY STORY, even though, I swear SOME was cut from HOLLY, but nothing too significant, just a minute(or less?) of some RECORDING STUDIO footage.

But, even with the commercials, it's an OK channel.

Sepiatone

Hello all newbies, how are you all. I am Prince Charming. Nice to meet all of you. I am an Artist. I love to meet new people as well as making new friends. I like to watch new Hollywood Movies as well as Bollywood Movies and want to know about them as more as possible. I'm making a website for this task and i will share it with all of you after making it properly. So if you really want to know my thinking about Movies Channel, then i will tell you that i love to watch Movies Channel. When i feel lonely or bored, i switch on TV and find all Movies Channel and watch any Movie.

you a big john wayne fan? :)

you a big john wayne fan? :)

I take it you are a big John Wayne fan. I used to get the magazine Horse and Rider years ago, as I am a big fan of horses. This one issue had an article about Yakima Canutt. He was a stuntman who met Wayne while doubling for him in The Shadow of the Eagle. He taught Wayne how to fall off a horse. He respected Wayne's willingness to learn and attempt his own stunts. According to Wikipedia, "Much of Wayne's on-screen persona was from Canutt. The characterizations associated with Wayne-the drawling speech and the hip-rolling walk were pure Canutt. A quote from Wayne "I spent weeks studying the way Yakima Canutt walked and talked.

His biography was fascinating reading. They worked together and perfected fighting techniques.

Just a bit of trivia that I learned and thought very interesting.

Wow. It's got '40s, '50s, and '60s films too. Its collection of films shown may be better than TCM's. But those commercials......

Oh, well, cant miss what I dont have. Maybe the next channel shake up it'll wind up on a lower tier.........

Really would appreciate knowing if anyone gets the MOVIES channel, not in HD. Thanks :)

I live in the Baltimore area and pick it up over the air from DC. It isn't on our cable system. For antenna pickup, it is always a subchannel of a larger OTA channel, such as the local Fox affiliate or something. So for me that means I get it in 480i wide screen SD.

I would assume most people are getting it in SD since it is a digital subchannel over the air.

Thank You GinnyFan :)

Comcast in this area insists that it's shown in HD. Even though I'm paying for the second tier and that's where they have placed THE MOVIES channel) I can't have it. Very frustrating. It's only shown in HD in this area.

I thank you for the response. I'm calling Comcast again (3rd time). Can't find a number to call the Movies channel or I'd be calling them. The funny thing is, for months I requested that Comcast get THE MOVIES channel in this area, and now it's on the tv line-up and I can't have it!

Thank You GinnyFan :)

Comcast in this area insists that it's shown in HD. Even though I'm paying for the second tier and that's where they have placed THE MOVIES channel) I can't have it. Very frustrating. It's only shown in HD in this area.

I thank you for the response. I'm calling Comcast again (3rd time). Can't find a number to call the Movies channel or I'd be calling them. The funny thing is, for months I requested that Comcast get THE MOVIES channel in this area, and now it's on the tv line-up and I can't have it!

I have Charter and my TV is SD, not HD.  However, Charter has programmed my cable box so that I can view both SD and HD channels on my SD TV.  They also said that all HD channels are available in SD.  Actually, mostly end up with two channels for each network - one SD and one HD.  I can watch either, but of course do not get a real HD picture.

Ironically, TCM often comes in with a shrunken picture because of the HD feature, but I change channel to an upper tier one and then go back and TCM is full frame again.

I just discovered that "Movies" has been added to my basic cable offerings. They seem to show, with commercials, pretty decent films from the '70s and '80s. The first film I saw was FUN WITH DICK AND JANE, which wasn't bad. Any comments about this channel? 

I have been talking about MOVIES for months now.   They show mostly Fox films so you can expect to see many Susan Hayward films there.     Saturday is noir night (3 films) and Sunday morning they always show two mystery movies  (e.g. Mr Moto,  Charlie Chan).     

As for films from the 70s and 80s;  The issue I have is that they do block out content.    But at least they don't remove entire scenes (as far as I can tell).   

Started wtaching It's My Turn with Jill Clayburgh, Charles Grodin and Michael Douglas on MoviesTV last night.  Good movie, but got totally frustrated by the very frequent and very long commercial breaks.  Finally just gave up on it.

BTW, Charles Grodin was much better in this than in The Heartbreak Kid.

Started wtaching It's My Turn with Jill Clayburgh, Charles Grodin and Michael Douglas on MoviesTV last night.  Good movie, but got totally frustrated by the very frequent and very long commercial breaks.  Finally just gave up on it.

BTW, Charles Grodin was much better in this than in The Heartbreak Kid.

This is the perfect channel if you want to make frequent trips to the refrigerator, the stove, and the can.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings