Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Kevin Costner

NipkowDisc

Costner's latest film is something about an old white guy sparking to some african-americans. that's really all I could gather from the commercial. Costner, a guy with really only two good films to his credit, dances with wolves and the untouchables. after the 1987 film the all to typical downturn. after playing eliot ness, ego took over and the next thing anybody knows Costner is getting cute with waterworld.
since then Costner will do a film every few years and then be promptly forgotten. here he is again, apparently trying to mimic somewhat Robert De Niro in them Focker movies. but this is what happens when personal egos override common sense judgement. the same thing happened with the late Roy Scheider who had a terrific screen persona but he squandered it by doin' movies he never shoulda done. Scheider started out good by getting to co-star with Gene Hackman in the french connection. then he does the good cop actioner the seven-ups then hits paydirt with jaws. Scheider, who was a much better actor than Costner ever will be, has only three good films to his credit. jaws, jaws II (although inferior to the first, Scheider gives a very good performance that saves the film has much as it can be saved ) and blue thunder in 1983 and that is unfortunately it for the Royster. sure he did other films after blue thunder, none of them worth a spit in the spittoon. utterly worthless crap like still of the night and 52 pickup. Scheider hadda good screen persona but he chose not to run with it.
just look at the great john wayne.
Wayne hadda persona that he knew audiences liked and he spent decades making films with that persona and it worked for him to historic effect.
but these contemporary lesser guys, they let their egos screw their careers.
Scheider coulda made dozens of films with his martin brody / frank murphy persona but perhaps he listened to ay-wholes who convinced him that he could be everything from cary grant to john garfield and the result: only three good films.
Scheider, the poor bass ****, ends his career talking to a friggin' dolphin on a TV show that spielberg underlings couldn't decide whether it should be flipper or voyage to the bottom of the sea.
whatta waste.
and now here comes Costner at us again, who's career never quite recovered from that waterlogged turkey waterworld.
now he's middle-aged and grumpy in the hood. fabulous.
Costner should know from playing ness that a tough persona will work for him but since starring in the untouchables, he has not gone back to it once.
now he has to try and channel an obnoxious de niro. I think universal television is working on something dealing with gangland chicago and al capone called 'cicero'.
maybe they'll let costner do some ness cameos. :lol:

Costner's latest film is something about an old white guy sparking to some african-americans. that's really all I could gather from the commercial. Costner, a guy with really only two good films to his credit, dances with wolves and the untouchables. after the 1987 film the all to typical downturn. after playing eliot ness, ego took over and the next thing anybody knows Costner is getting cute with waterworld.

since then Costner will do a film every few years and then be promptly forgotten. here he is again, apparently trying to mimic somewhat Robert De Niro in them Focker movies. but this is what happens when personal egos override common sense judgement. the same thing happened with the late Roy Scheider who had a terrific screen persona but he squandered it by doin' movies he never shoulda done. Scheider started out good by getting to co-star with Gene Hackman in the french connection. then he does the good cop actioner the seven-ups then hits paydirt with jaws. Scheider, who was a much better actor than Costner ever will be, has only three good films to his credit. jaws, jaws II (although inferior to the first, Scheider gives a very good performance that saves the film has much as it can be saved ) and blue thunder in 1983 and that is unfortunately it for the Royster. sure he did other films after blue thunder, none of them worth a spit in the spittoon. utterly worthless crap like still of the night and 52 pickup. Scheider hadda good screen persona but he chose not to run with it.

just look at the great john wayne.

Wayne hadda persona that he knew audiences liked and he spent decades making films with that persona and it worked for him to historic effect.

but these contemporary lesser guys, they let their egos screw their careers.

Scheider coulda made dozens of films with his martin brody / frank murphy persona but perhaps he listened to ay-wholes who convinced him that he could be everything from cary grant to john garfield and the result: only three good films.

Scheider, the poor bass ****, ends his career talking to a friggin' dolphin on a TV show that spielberg underlings couldn't decide whether it should be flipper or voyage to the bottom of the sea.

whatta waste.

and now here comes Costner at us again, who's career never quite recovered from that waterlogged turkey waterworld.

now he's middle-aged and grumpy in the hood. fabulous.

Costner should know from playing ness that a tough persona will work for him but since starring in the untouchables, he has not gone back to it once.

now he has to try and channel an obnoxious de niro. I think universal television is working on something dealing with gangland chicago and al capone called 'cicero'.

maybe they'll let costner do some ness cameos. :lol:

Perhaps you're underappreciating both Costner and Scheider just a tad. Costner was riveting in "No Way Out" (1987) and perfect for "Field of Dreams" (1989, one of The Essentials this past season). You've also gotta love any movie in which the New York Yankees are victims of a perfect game (see 1999's "For Love of the Game").

As for Scheider, he appeared in more than three good films, earning Oscar nominations for his performances in "The French Connection" (1971) and "All That Jazz" (1979). He was a revelation in the latter picture, starring as an alter ego for the famed director-choreographer Bob Fosse. Scheider also played a key character in "Marathon Man" (1976), although people only seem to remember the thriller for the "Is it safe?" interrogation scene featuring Dustin Hoffman and Sir Laurence Olivier.

• Like 1

Most jobbing actors are limited to what they are offered.  Not everyone has the stature of a John Wayne or arrived at some sort of pinnacle where they can pick or choose.  And I'm sure nobody ever offered the Duke King Lear.  Genghis Khan, yes.

Hats off to Roy Scheider and Kevin Costner for even making a living in a tough tough business.

Has NipkowDisc seen the latest Costner picture or is he basing the opinion on the trailer that he mentions?

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I like the Bodyguard, Dance with Wolves, The Untouchables, and I even like Waterworld and The Postman. I'm going to watch again the Hatfields and McCoys to have a better opinion of it, from what I remember I liked it.

there was a babe in waterworld I liked.

Can't stand KC, never could, still think that Dances with Wolves is the worst movie ever to be awarded Best Picture, just awful. There's a mawkish quality to his films that goes overboard, like Field of Dreams, which I know is popular but it made me sick. They had Shoeless Joe Jackson batting from the wrong side of the plate, to nitpick a little. I always thought that Kevin wanted to be another Spielberg, the latter knew how to manipulate the public with the sentimentality and he goes overboard too IMO but he could do it much better than Kevin...I don't know about Scheider but I think the OP has it right, remembering that back then during the era of the Duke the studios managed the image probably to the benefit of the actor, not so today. What about Johnny Depp, he seemed to start out so well and now seems to be going downhill ...

==

My only problem with Costner has been accents. He didn't need to try a Southern accent in "JFK" because New Orleans District Attorney Jim Garrison didn't really have one. And his British accent in "Robin Hood" was -- if you'll excuse the expression -- off the mark.

Thank goodness he was wise enough not to play either Jack or Bobby Kennedy in "Thirteen Days"!

Perhaps you're underappreciating both Costner and Scheider just a tad. Costner was riveting in "No Way Out" (1987) and perfect for "Field of Dreams" (1989, one of The Essentials this past season). You've also gotta love any movie in which the New York Yankees are victims of a perfect game (see 1999's "For Love of the Game").

As for Scheider, he appeared in more than three good films, earning Oscar nominations for his performances in "The French Connection" (1971) and "All That Jazz" (1979). He was a revelation in the latter picture, starring as an alter ego for the famed director-choreographer Bob Fosse. Scheider also played a key character in "Marathon Man" (1976), although people only seem to remember the thriller for the "Is it safe?" interrogation scene featuring Dustin Hoffman and Sir Laurence Olivier.

yeah, I could've mentioned all that jazz.

Hard to read the OP with all the disregard to grammar, but I get the idea from the title he's underwhelmed by Kevin Costner.

Back when Costner was popular, I had been talked into watching a few of his films- Dances With Wolves, JFK, Field Of Dreams. I couldn't BELIEVE this guy was an actor, he didn't seem to have one iota of talent. It was if the subject matter of these films were riveting enough for him to just breeze through, without even acting. His lack of performance ruined everything I had seen him in (in all fairness, JFK was silly, even if an alternative viewpoint) 

When people would say what a great actor he was, I'd reply with a very puzzled look. I figured eventually others would see the "Emperor's No Clothes" like I did. And I had thought that somewhat happened. 

I've also had the exact same feeling about Tom Hanks-terrible actor.

As for Johnny Depp....he has his LOOKS going for him first. But I sense underneath, (like MM before him) he is very serious about his craft of acting. I think his lack of range stems from lack of available good roles.

Hard to read the OP with all the disregard to grammar, but I get the idea from the title he's underwhelmed by Kevin Costner.

Back when Costner was popular, I had been talked into watching a few of his films- Dances With Wolves, JFK, Field Of Dreams. I couldn't BELIEVE this guy was an actor, he didn't seem to have one iota of talent. It was if the subject matter of these films were riveting enough for him to just breeze through, without even acting. His lack of performance ruined everything I had seen him in (in all fairness, JFK was silly, even if an alternative viewpoint) 

When people would say what a great actor he was, I'd reply with a very puzzled look. I figured eventually others would see the "Emperor's No Clothes" like I did. And I had thought that somewhat happened. 

I've also had the exact same feeling about Tom Hanks-terrible actor.

As for Johnny Depp....he has his LOOKS going for him first. But I sense underneath, (like MM before him) he is very serious about his craft of acting. I think his lack of range stems from lack of available good roles.

I agree on Depp, that was  my point also although I didn't spell it out very well. Remember Don Juan DeMarco, and there was this other film (sorry, to lazy at the moment to look it up) where he played either a mafia figure or perhaps impersonating a mafia figure (something like that), another early film that I seem to remember was not bad. I just saw a news story where the critics are roundly panning this new movie of his (sorry I have no title). Wow, I'm getting lazy about looking things up, I'm almost as bad as you-know-who.

...and I get it entirely on KC, not only is his acting underwhelming, but he is the only actor (ever, in my memory) who doesn't appear even to speak correctly, he actually does NOT sound (to me anyway) that he is supporting his breath when he talks. Or maybe he just has a terrible voice.

I actually think Hanks is the BETTER of the two(if the contest is Costner vs. Hanks) and DEPP is one i've been known to call Johnny DEFT, due to his skill at adapting to any film role(BTW--That "mafia figure" role is DONNY BRASCO, where Depp is an FBI agent [i think, but SOME kind of law enforfement officer] who goes undercover to infiltrate the mob.  Supposedly a true story).

I HAVE seen some things I thought Costner was OK in---FIELD OF DREAMS and OPEN RANGE a couple, plus, like TOM SELLECK, Costner seems to do BETTER in the western genre, although DANCES WITH WOLVES, while not as bad as some here like to complain, wasn't as  GREAT as many like to think, and pretty much self indulgent on Costner's part.  Plus, I HATE to hear him do ANY narration.  IT sounds even MORE stiff and wooden than his ACTING!

Sepiatone

I I HATE to hear him do ANY narration.  IT sounds even MORE stiff and wooden than his ACTING!

Sepiatone

that about says it all, I think someone thought Costner would be good at playing eliot ness because he would mimic Stack's monotone delivery. :lol:

that about says it all, I think someone thought Costner would be good at playing eliot ness because he would mimic Stack's monotone delivery. :lol:

and waterworld was just Costner's lame attempt to mimic Mel Gibson.

but I must admit, I did think Costner was good in The Hatfields and the McCoys.

Well, I guess I fall in the minority of posters here, because I like Kevin Costner.

Somebody posted that film is a tough industry to make a living at, so Kevin must be doing something right.

I don't think that he is a great actor any more than I would call Sylvester Stallone a great actor, but both managed to win Oscars, and Kevin Costner has won two Academy Awards, three Golden Globe Awards, an Emmy, among other awards and a host of various nominations.

I like Costner in several of his films and most of his westerns, and, against the grain, I enjoyed his sci-fi, post-apocolypse ventures (i.e. THE POSTMAN and even WATERWORLD.

I thought NO WAY OUT was a good thriller, with a twist, and he was good in it.

Enjoyed BULL DURHAM, and loved FIELD OF DREAMS (excellent casting all-around).

I also liked OPEN RANGE and DANCES WITH WOLVES and HATFIELDS & MCCOYS.

There are films of his that I've watched once, and thought that was enough, but there are others that he's been in that are good enough to deserve my repeat viewing every now and then.

He's not an actor that I actively follow, but from what I've read, if he believes in a project he'll back it with his own money, and he has done well enough that he is not afraid to back some off-beat, possibly controversial projects.

His new film BLACK OR WHITE sounds like it's stirring a little controversy already.

I think that he's a pretty down-to-earth guy who enjoys being with his family and cares about the planet, He's actively involved in some environmental projects as well.

In any event, there are enough people that enjoy films that he's in and their subject matter to allow him to continue to make a living in a very tough and competitive industry.

That makes him successful, regardless of any negative comments anyone has said about him and his acting ability.

Well, I guess I fall in the minority of posters here, because I like Kevin Costner.

(snipped)

there are enough people that enjoy films that he's in and their subject matter to allow him to continue to make a living in a very tough and competitive industry. That makes him successful, regardless of any negative comments anyone has said about him and his acting ability.

Very well stated Stephen. Glad you like him & are brave enough to state your case here.

It does just amaze me though, people can become famous and successful with seemingly little talent. I always wonder if I'm missing something....

I think that he's a pretty down-to-earth guy who enjoys being with his family and cares about the planet, He's actively involved in some environmental projects as well.

Indeed...he's one who has avoided negative publicity & controversy and remained fairly private despite his fame.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings