Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do we now have 33 days of Oscar?

TopBilled

Yesterday January 30th, I noticed several '31 Days of Oscar' interstitials on TCM (one was the featurette where Joan Leslie talks about Jimmy Cagney). The first time I saw it, I thought it must be February 1st already. I don't remember TCM airing anything (not even a promo) with the '31 Days' logo/graphics until February 1st in years past. Of course, programming doesn't start until the first-- but now we're getting what seems a larger build-up and advance ads are playing for the Oscars telecast on ABC. 

Is this a way to make more money with ABC's ads? Or are we now expanding the Oscar tribute in little but noticeable ways? 

How about a running series of "Anti Oscar" tributes?

Like this: The night is designated a particular year.  It starts out with the movie that won "best Picture" that year...Followed by all the OTHER movies that were nominated that year, but DIDN'T win!

You could, if possible (and viewer response is positive enough) , do the same with the other categories, such as, the movie that year in which a particular actor won a "Best Actor" statuette, also followed by the films which the competing actors got THEIR nominations for, and so on....Y'know....actress, director, supporting----and thus.

Sepiatone

How about a running series of "Anti Oscar" tributes?

Like this: The night is designated a particular year.  It starts out with the movie that won "best Picture" that year...Followed by all the OTHER movies that were nominated that year, but DIDN'T win!

You could, if possible (and viewer response is positive enough) , do the same with the other categories, such as, the movie that year in which a particular actor won a "Best Actor" statuette, also followed by the films which the competing actors got THEIR nominations for, and so on....Y'know....actress, director, supporting----and thus.

Sepiatone

I'm a bit disappointed with the increased dominance of the Oscars on TCM. Many feel it should be cut back to about 12 hours per day in February. Now they going beyond the 31 24-hour days and stretching it back into the end of January. Plus all year round we get countless wraparounds where Bob Osborne is busy impressing guests and viewers with Oscar-related knowledge. The channel is not practicing moderation at all when it comes to the Oscars, and viewers are asking for a more moderate approach in this regard.

Last year Molly Haskell took them to task for this type of excessive programming. 

Yesterday January 30th, I noticed several '31 Days of Oscar' interstitials on TCM (one was the featurette where Joan Leslie talks about Jimmy Cagney). The first time I saw it, I thought it must be February 1st already. I don't remember TCM airing anything (not even a promo) with the '31 Days' logo/graphics until February 1st in years past. Of course, programming doesn't start until the first-- but now we're getting what seems a larger build-up and advance ads are playing for the Oscars telecast on ABC. 

Is this a way to make more money with ABC's ads? Or are we now expanding the Oscar tribute in little but noticeable ways? 

TB, for at least the last seven years I can remember interstitials and promotions for the 31 Days of Oscar starting around Christmas, so I don't think they are getting earlier and earlier. If you see one before Thanksgiving next year, though, please mention it!  I could be wrong about this, but I think TCM started 31 days of Oscar at Bob Osborne's insistence, since he is a historian of the Oscars and wanted an opportunity to show the Oscar nominated films and talk about them.

• Like 1

[quote name="TopBilled" post="1059472"

Last year Molly Haskell took them to task for this type of excessive programming.

She did a oped for cnn.com that was critical if the oscar process, but fleetingly mentioned tcm in one sentence. I paraphrase from memory:

"When tcm, the television station that I hold more dearly than all others, dedicates an entire month's programming to the Oscars I lose interest."

I'm not really sure that counts as " taking them to task" although I do feel safe in saying that about 90% of us here agree with her wholeheartedly.

Talk about much ado about nothing.....

So they advertise months in advance. Even weeks in advanced. The days leading up to the month. It is called advertising. Everyone does it. I am shocked to learn that some people around here think that TCM does self-promote itself.

• Like 1

Since we have arrived at TCM's Oscar month, my DVR has gone from recording five or six movies a day to one, if I'm lucky. And sometimes the one recording is a title broadcast on Retroplex.

That's better than me.  Whereas I got 54 films in January with very few duplicates, including one 24 hour stretch between Attenborough and the British noirs where I recorded nearly everything, for the first 10 days of February I've scheduled only three, two of which are duplicates.  It'll pick up a bit at the end of the month when a few premieres of some newer movies kick in, but the first part of Oscar may be the biggest collection of Same Old Same Olds I've seen in years.  Even the gangster movies fall into that category.

since they do this with the cooperation of the Academy I think it would be really nice if they were able to actually include scenes from old Oscar shows themselves, or even the entire shows.

Quite frankly I would rather watch the 1952 ceremony on TCM in primetime than any one of the usual suspects. (or that absolutely awful documentary they premiered last year which is showing again tonight.)

• Like 1

That's better than me.  Whereas I got 54 films in January with very few duplicates, including one 24 hour stretch between Attenborough and the British noirs where I recorded nearly everything, for the first 10 days of February I've scheduled only three, two of which are duplicates.  It'll pick up a bit at the end of the month when a few premieres of some newer movies kick in, but the first part of Oscar may be the biggest collection of Same Old Same Olds I've seen in years.  Even the gangster movies fall into that category.

Yes, I guess we are spoiled. January was a stellar month on TCM, and February by comparison feels like a disappointment. I like Ann Sothern, so March looks good, thankfully!

I guess I'm in the minority here, I don't mind the 31 Days of Oscar in February, I haven't seen every movie under the sun, so like usual, I always find things to watch.  I also don't think it's a big deal if they start advertising ahead of time for their 31 Days of Oscar.  I imagine that this month may attract new viewers who enjoy watching the Oscars and might be interested in Oscar history, just like what I imagine much of the goal of "The Essentials" is-- to attract new viewers.  TCM cannot grow if they don't expand their audience. 

I agree though that it would be neat if they showed old clips of Oscar ceremonies.  Like when they introduce the film they could have the clip of the presenter saying: "And the Oscar goes to..." and then start the winning film.  Instead of the short films, show old musical performances or funny bits from past shows.  On You Tube, you can watch Mitzi Gaynor at the 1967 Oscars performing "Georgy Girl."  The performance is campy, but fun and I always find Gaynor entertaining in anything she's in. 

I agree that the Oscar documentary was dull.  I would be interested in a comprehensive Oscar documentary, even if it were a multi-part documentary.  I don't know what this would all entail, but something showing the entire history of the Oscars, trivia, behind the scenes, most sentimental moments, hilarious mistakes, etc. I don't really want to watch people reminisce about what it means to be an Oscar winner or whatever.  I'd love to see an Oscar documentary from a more historical perspective. 

I've got quite a few things (I haven't seen) queued up to record:

2/2 Random Harvest, The Great Lie

2/3 Top Hat, Roberta

2/4 Pat and Mike

2/5 Robin and the 7 Hoods, Four Daughters

2/7 Mrs. Miniver

2/9 The Young Lions, The Best Days of Our Lives, Mildred Pierce

2/10 Crossfire, The Killers

2/11 The Four Musketeers (1975), All the King's Men

2/12 Lust for Life, The Third Man (Okay, I've seen this one before, I just love it and haven't found a copy for myself yet)

2/14 The Harder They Fall, The Man With the Golden Arm, Blackboard Jungle

2/15 The Asphalt Jungle, I Want to Live!, Raintree County

2/16 Anatomy of a Murder

2/17 In Cold Blood

2/19 Inherit the Wind, Judgment at Nuremberg, Dr. Strangelove...,

2/20 Caged, Easy Rider

2/23 Kings Row

2/26 The Big Chill

2/28 The China Syndrome, The Fisher King

3/3 The Artist, The King's Speech

I just hope I can watch all these plus the other 30 or so movies I already have recorded during this month.  I'm (hopefully) supposed to be moving into my new house in March and thus, all my recorded movies will be left behind on the DVR at my parents' house and I'll have to start anew on my own DVR.

• Like 1

I've got quite a few things (I haven't seen) queued up to record:

2/2 Random Harvest, The Great Lie

2/3 Top Hat, Roberta

2/4 Pat and Mike

2/5 Robin and the 7 Hoods, Four Daughters

2/7 Mrs. Miniver

2/9 The Young Lions, The Best Days of Our Lives, Mildred Pierce

2/10 Crossfire, The Killers

2/11 The Four Musketeers (1975), All the King's Men

2/12 Lust for Life, The Third Man (Okay, I've seen this one before, I just love it and haven't found a copy for myself yet)

2/14 The Harder They Fall, The Man With the Golden Arm, Blackboard Jungle

2/15 The Asphalt Jungle, I Want to Live!, Raintree County

2/16 Anatomy of a Murder

2/17 In Cold Blood

2/19 Inherit the Wind, Judgment at Nuremberg, Dr. Strangelove...,

2/20 Caged, Easy Rider

2/23 Kings Row

2/26 The Big Chill

2/28 The China Syndrome, The Fisher King

3/3 The Artist, The King's Speech

I just hope I can watch all these plus the other 30 or so movies I already have recorded during this month.  I'm (hopefully) supposed to be moving into my new house in March and thus, all my recorded movies will be left behind on the DVR at my parents' house and I'll have to start anew on my own DVR.

Wow! Oscar month is tailor-made for viewers such as yourself.

This is just my humble opinion but, I believe you're going to get a lot of enjoyment out of these films. Never can tell, though. Many films which are deemed great classics are not perceived as such by some - and that always interests me. Rarely is it the story or screenplay, but the characters or actors themselves which turn people off.

Good viewing!

:)

• Like 1

The only gripe I have with The 31 Days of Oscar is - the past two years, many of the included films have been those which have recently aired. Some the day before, and even then that airing was the second in a two week period leading up to Oscar month.

That could be good, though. You can catch it if you missed it earlier. Also great for those who've attempted a recording and something went awry (judging from posts here, this is a frequent occurrence).

Yes, I guess we are spoiled. January was a stellar month on TCM, and February by comparison feels like a disappointment. I like Ann Sothern, so March looks good, thankfully!

Yeah, I also like the choice of Ann Sothern, especially since they're apparently running all 10 of her Maisie films back-to-back on the 11th/12th of the month, which I can't ever remember being shown in that convenient a schedule.

Yeah, I also like the choice of Ann Sothern, especially since they're apparently running all 10 of her Maisie films back-to-back on the 11th/12th of the month, which I can't ever remember being shown in that convenient a schedule.

And just a few days ago, they added THE WHALES OF AUGUST to the last night of Sothern's tribute (which will be a TCM premiere). Beautiful film. Plus, related to the topic of this thread, Ann was Oscar nominated for her work in that picture as best supporting actress.

I'm excited for the Ann Sothern month.  The only thing I've ever seen her in is the first episode of The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour where she plays Susie McNamara, a friend of Lucy McGillicuddy.  Lucy and Ann are co-workers/friends who take a cruise to Havana and enroute meet Rudy Vallee on the ship (and terrorize him) and later, when they dock in Havana, they meet Desi Arnaz and Cesar Romero, aka Ricky Ricardo and Carlos Garcia.  Of course, both girls are interested in Cesar Romero and Lucy reluctantly pairs off with Ricky Ricardo.  Sothern was excellent in this episode and a great comedic partner with Lucille Ball.  She did a hilarious scene in which she gets drunk off the water in the jail (it was spiked with rum). 

March looks like it'll be a great month with tons of the bad horror movies (pretty much the only horror movies I can stand, the worst and cheesy the movie is, the better), musicals and interesting programming that I don't think I've ever seen on TV let alone scheduled on TCM. 

I'm excited for the Ann Sothern month.  The only thing I've ever seen her in is the first episode of The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour where she plays Susie McNamara, a friend of Lucy McGillicuddy. 

Susie was Ann's character on her first television series, PRIVATE SECRETARY, so this was kind of a crossover episode. A year later, she would start a new show, THE ANN SOTHERN SHOW, which would be produced by Desilu.

Susie was Ann's character on her first television series, PRIVATE SECRETARY, so this was kind of a crossover episode. A year later, she would start a new show, THE ANN SOTHERN SHOW, which would be produced by Desilu.

In the second season opener of The Ann Sothern Show, while playing Katy O'Connor, she was visited by her old pal-- guess who-- Lucy Ricardo. So apparently, Lucy knew both Susie and Katy. And instead of a drunk scene, they got to play a story where they eat pills hidden in some chocolate candy that makes them a bit drugged out. It's actually quite funny, though I am not sure an episode of this type would get on the air today.

I'm excited for the Ann Sothern month.  The only thing I've ever seen her in is the first episode of The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour where she plays Susie McNamara, a friend of Lucy McGillicuddy. 

I don't think I've seen any of Ann Sothern's movies, but I used to love her as the Countess Framboise on THE LUCY SHOW when it aired on Nick At Nite in the 1990s. Nick At Nite in the 1990s was da bomb!  

I'm probably in the minority but I actually like THE LUCY SHOW better than I LOVE LUCY in many ways.

Anyway  . .. the Countess is Lucy Carmichael's childhood friend Rosie Harrigan who had married a European count. When the count died, the only thing he left Rosie was his title and his debts. Mr. Mooney doesn't realize that she's broke so he's always ingratiating himself to her. 

She calls him Mr. Money

Funny, funny, funny!

Nick At Nite of the 1990s, I miss you so much!

(Oh well, at least I have THE LUCY SHOW on DVD now to watch whenever I like.)

I'm a bit disappointed with the increased dominance of the Oscars on TCM. Many feel it should be cut back to about 12 hours per day in February. Now they going beyond the 31 24-hour days and stretching it back into the end of January. Plus all year round we get countless wraparounds where Bob Osborne is busy impressing guests and viewers with Oscar-related knowledge. The channel is not practicing moderation at all when it comes to the Oscars, and viewers are asking for a more moderate approach in this regard.

Some programmer must had designed this calendar. Glad there are no 42 days of Oscar?

february--calendar-53244e39213a5.png

Yeah, that's mostly where I know Ann Southern from.  And I remember the last episode, where Ann's character is making out with her boss on an airplane, after they finally confess their love for each other.  I kind of chuckled when I saw Ann's boss(Don Porter) was cast as GIDGET's dad in the old Sally Field TV show, and joked with my mom, "D'ya suppose this GIDGET girl is HIS, and ANN SOUTHERN'S daughter?" ;)

Sepiatone

I don't think I've seen any of Ann Sothern's movies, but I used to love her as the Countess Framboise on THE LUCY SHOW when it aired on Nick At Nite in the 1990s. Nick At Nite in the 1990s was da bomb!  

I'm probably in the minority but I actually like THE LUCY SHOW better than I LOVE LUCY in many ways.

Anyway  . .. the Countess is Lucy Carmichael's childhood friend Rosie Harrigan who had married a European count. When the count died, the only thing he left Rosie was his title and his debts. Mr. Mooney doesn't realize that she's broke so he's always ingratiating himself to her. 

She calls him Mr. Money

Funny, funny, funny!

Nick At Nite of the 1990s, I miss you so much!

(Oh well, at least I have THE LUCY SHOW on DVD now to watch whenever I like.)

Yes, she was in half a dozen or so episodes playing that character. I havent seen those shows since I was little.......

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings