Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

No "classic" but trying to find this film...

Sepiatone

In the '90's, i saw a movie on CBC that I believe was made in the earlier '90's.

a Canadian production, it concerned the story(fiction) of a guy( played by actor KEVIN O'CONNOR) "assigned" somehow to search for a man named LEON SILK, who was supposedly one of the most famous and highly regarded LUTHIERS(guitar maker) in the business.  His brother was supposedly looking for him due to some MONEY owed him by Leon.

Kevin's search takes him to a situation in which he, Kevin( also in the storym, a guitar player) to audition for a spot in a band headed by a character played by DAVID JOHANSEN, who still owns one of LEON SILK's guitars.

He then travels further north, and also comes across another old past customer of Silk's played by LEON REDBONE, who regales us with a nice tune!

Kevin DOES eventually find the small northern Canadian town LEON SILK, played by actor JOHN ASTON( Beverly Hills Cop, Midnight Run), and works at befriending him in order to acquire some of his guitars and therefore completing his "mission".

Silk, however, for some personal reasons, has pretty much quit the LUTHIER business, and agrees to sell some Japanese millionair his last dozen or so hand made guitars for a huge chunk of change as long as he signs a contract to NOT make any more, and will be given a handsome sum of money as a yearly "salary" in exchange.

I CANNOT find anything about this movie ANYWHERE!

NOT looking up KEVIN O'CONNOR'S bio,

Nor on JOHN ASHTON'S WIKI site,

Nor on anything to do with RITA MACNEIL, who also has a part in the flick, Nor in ANY list of film appearances by LEON REDBONE.

OR David Johansen.

Sepiatone

In the '90's, i saw a movie on CBC that I believe was made in the earlier '90's.

a Canadian production, it concerned the story(fiction) of a guy( played by actor KEVIN O'CONNOR) "assigned" somehow to search for a man named LEON SILK, who was supposedly one of the most famous and highly regarded LUTHIERS(guitar maker) in the business.  His brother was supposedly looking for him due to some MONEY owed him by Leon.

Sepiatone

Thanks Kid.  Shows you how wonky the memory can get.

For instance, I could have SWORN the guitar maker's name(in the movie) was LEON SILK, although I can understand how, over time, Elsmore can BECOME Leon in the mind!

Plus, I could swear it was JOHN ASHTON, and NOT HARRIS YULIN who did the part of LEON/ELSMORE, because I remember thinking "Hey!  THAT'S the guy from BEVERLY HILLS COP!"  And there's not really that close a resemblance between the two, but then again,  that "wonky memory" thing!

Anyway, I thought it was a pretty good movie regardless, and I'll have to( now that I have a title) add it to my short list of movies I saw on CBC that I wish to get on some kind of useable medium( like TAPE or DVD) which includes what wound up being a multi-part "mini series" sort of thing called "COMICS" starring Tim Guinee about an American stand-up comic, banned from gigs in the U.S. due to his insulting JOHNNY CARSON on Carson's show, trying to restart his career in England.

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings