Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Should tcm show more low-budget 1950s sci-fi films?

NipkowDisc

tcm has yet to tow this space cadet's mark.

for example, THE FLAME BARRIER from 1958.

That's the one with the Hollister brothers Dave and Matt trekking through a thick mexican jungle with the lovely Kathleen Crowley in tow lookin' for her scientist hubby.

they eventually come across her hubby's fallen satellite (earth satellite X-117) sitting in a cave surrounded by an electric field generating alien protoplasm from beyond the atmosphere.

Her hubby is there too in the protoplasm. :)

They juice it with her hubby's solar battery. (a new thing in them days)

it's one of them Gardner-Levy flicks...and it's never been shown here on tcm that I can recall.

respect space cadets and our beloved childhood saturday afternoon fodder.

we're Americana. :D

• Like 1

It may be difficult to obtain rights to that movie. It was made by: Gramercy Pictures and distributed by: United Artists. It might be quite difficult to determine who has rights to license it for television.

I must wonder how you would feel re: foreign science fiction movies. I would love very much if they would air: Robot-Girl Nr. 1 (1938), Krakatit (1949) and Voyage to the End of the Universe (1963) which were made in: Czechoslovakia.

• Like 1

It may be difficult to obtain rights to that movie. It was made by: Gramercy Pictures and distributed by: United Artists. It might be quite difficult to determine who has rights to license it for television.

I must wonder how you would feel re: foreign science fiction movies. I would love very much if they would air: Robot-Girl Nr. 1 (1938), Krakatit (1949) and Voyage to the End of the Universe (1963) which were made in: Czechoslovakia.

I remember seeing voyage to the end of the universe one time as a kid. the babes looked unique.

would rather see some new stuff than the lion in winter a thousand more times. :)

I'd like to see 

The Crawling Eye (The Trollenberg Terror)

Attack of the Crab Monsters

Queen of Outer Space 

:) 

I'm pretty sure Queen of Outer Space was shown at least twice last year. Once may have been part of a (now rare for TCM) sci-fi extravaganza on some Saturday. The other may have been my imagination. With all the saturated colors and amazonian women, I always think I'm watching an old tv episode of Star Trek - the one where they steal Spock's brain.

The ones I most want TCM to show are:

Terror from the Year 5000  (1958)

Return of the Fly  (1959)

The Astounding She Monster  (1957)

I'd be very happy if TCM would show those.

I also wouldn't mind seeing 'Frankenstein 1970' (1958) again. TCM showed that a year or so ago.

tcm has yet to tow this space cadet's mark.

for example, THE FLAME BARRIER from 1958.

That's the one with the Hollister brothers Dave and Matt trekking through a thick mexican jungle with the lovely Kathleen Crowley in tow lookin' for her scientist hubby.

they eventually come across her hubby's fallen satellite (earth satellite X-117) sitting in a cave surrounded by an electric field generating alien protoplasm from beyond the atmosphere.

Her hubby is there too in the protoplasm. :)

They juice it with her hubby's solar battery. (a new thing in them days)

it's one of them Gardner-Levy flicks...and it's never been shown here on tcm that I can recall.

respect space cadets and our beloved childhood saturday afternoon fodder.

we're Americana. :D

"Rocketship X-M" (1950) because this is actually coming true.  Lol, who knew

Fiction is...

1189233_orig.jpg

...becoming fact.  Star Wars stand aside.

Last year TCM did show The Thing That Couldn't Die (1958) , The Monolith Monsters (1957) , and (not sure, but..)  First Spaceship on Venus (1962 USA release) None of which I believed would see the light of day before this century was out. Credit due there.

ABSOLUTELY TCM should show more 50's and early 60's Science Fiction movies.  While there were great (for the day) special effects in many, there was also good acting and decent plots.  Even the "bad" ones are worth watching.

Now Sci-Fi is all noise, loud music and special effects by computer.

Would like to see It Came From Beneath the Sea again and also The Monster that Challenged the World.

The Monolith Monsters is available on The Classic Sci-Fi Ultimate Collection with 9 other movies.  Sold as Vols. 1 & 2, but don't know if the volumes are sold separately or not. Some good ones and some mediocre ones, but might appeal to many.

• Like 1

Since many of the "classic" cheapies came out before I was old enough to be allowed to go to the show alone, most of the guys I know who were enough years OLDER than me and SAW them when they came out,SWORE the special effects weren't all that "special".  Claiming they were "great for the time" isn't really all that true, but it didn't matter to THEM, they enjoyed them not only in SPITE, but, BECAUSE the effects were cheezy!  Which is why I STILL love 'em! 

Depressed?  Feeling lowdown?  Hunker down with an old Japanese "Starman" flick, and you'll be ROLLIN' on THE FLOOR in NO time!

Sepiatone

TCM should show more 50's and early 60's Science Fiction movies.  While there were great (for the day) special effects in many, there was also good acting and decent plots.  Even the "bad" ones are worth watching.

I think that would be fun. I loved the Sci Fi about the large woman, the side effects were hilarious however the creativity behind the movie was to be admired in as much as the operative word then was creative, not computer.

• Like 1

ABSOLUTELY TCM should show more 50's and early 60's Science Fiction movies.  While there were great (for the day) special effects in many, there was also good acting and decent plots.  Even the "bad" ones are worth watching.

I don't know about that last statement. I watched Billy the Kid VS Dracula today on getTv. That film is a real stinkeroo.

Don't know why this thread came to mind today.  Or that for some reason I free associated and dredged this up from the bilge of my memory.  But it's a classic from one of the great illustrator/cartoonists, Gahan Wilson.  It's the hilarious Science Fiction Horror Movie Pocket Computer.  I couldn't manage to post it in the body of this post, so I had to resort to attaching it as an uploaded file.  Here's also the link:

http://buzzdixon.com/writing-2/the-gahan-wilson-sci-fi-horror-movie-pocket-computer/

post-33843-0-45892600-1423201104_thumb.png

post-33843-0-45892600-1423201104_thumb.png