Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"M" by Fritz Lang

roverrocks

Watched the great German movie "M" (1931) from Fritz Lang today via an Amazon movies account which one of my sons set up for me for Christmas on our television.  What a great great piece of chilling film making just as relevant today as in 1931.  A rapid-paced mesmerizing and frantic search for a murderous sexual predator of children in what I assumed to be Berlin of 85 years ago.  Twists and turns.  Twists and turns.  Help for the stymied police from unexpected sources.

• Like 1

Watched the great German movie "M" (1931) from Fritz Lang today via an Amazon movies account which one of my sons set up for me for Christmas on our television. 

What a great gift!

It's unbelievably powerful seen on 35mm film in a theater with an audience. George Eastman House shows it occasionally. 

Wish more theaters would rent these for classic film fans elsewhere.

And is it a foreign language film? I thought it was silent. Last time I watched it was when I awoke at 4am and put on the DVD without sound, so not to wake anyone.

• Like 1

Watched the great German movie "M" (1931) from Fritz Lang today via an Amazon movies account which one of my sons set up for me for Christmas on our television. 

What a great gift!

It's unbelievably powerful seen on 35mm film in a theater with an audience. George Eastman House shows it occasionally. 

Wish more theaters would rent these for classic film fans elsewhere.

And is it a foreign language film? I thought it was silent. Last time I watched it was when I awoke at 4am and put on the DVD without sound, so not to wake anyone.

This fine film is not a silent film.  It is Fritz Lang's first talkie.  It is in German with English subtitles.  This would be a tremendous film to see on the big screen.  I would love to see it that way with a large audience.  Yes, the Christmas gift of Amazon movies from one son and Netflix movies from my other son has opened up a whole new world of television classic movie viewing for me.  As good a gift as they could have gotten me as they know I am a movie nut.  I am watching far more movies on them than I am on TCM at present.  So much fairly cheap access especially via 24-48 hour Amazon rental than I ever could have imagined especially little known but terrific foreign films both silent and talkies.  I can really pick and choose via the search option on the two: Amazon and Netflix.

• 9 months later...

I have seen this film a couple times and cannot wait for it to be shown again. I hope TCM schedules M soon. It certainly is a chilling piece and yet mesmerizing at the same time. Thanks for starting this thread on a favourite!

The remake from 1951, starring David Wayne, is getting a rare broadcast on January 1st.

For more visit the TCM database page:

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/82217/M/

• Like 1

I thought this was a great movie and I'm not usually into foreign films.  Though, with this film, while I did think it was really good, I don't really feel the need to watch it again.  

I really liked Peter Lorre's performance.  I thought the scene where he was trying to cut the lock off the wall was really funny.  The mild-profanity laced subtitles cracked me up.  You don't see that even in pre-code Hollywood films (the mild profanity, not the subtitles).  

I thought the story was really unique and also very morbid.  I don't believe that Hollywood would have permitted a film about a child murderer--with the exception of possibly Night Nurse.  That was a pretty dark story.

I also liked the twist in regard to the only witness who could provide a legitimate lead.  He seemed like an innocuous character at the beginning of the film and turned out to be one of the most important characters in the film.  

I also found Lorre's insanity defense to be very interesting.  This defense is still being used and argued today.  

The mother's words at the end of the film were very ominous and unsettling.  

• 5 weeks later...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings