Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM, or cable glitch?

Sepiatone

My cable service offers me, with the "digital" package, a remote that has a "guide" button on it, which takes you to a screen that shows a huge "grid" like programming schedule.  On it, you can see what's showing on the channel the TV was on when you hit the "guide" button, PLUS, with the working of "four-way" direction buttons, what's coming on throughout the hour, or even all day, depending on just how far ahead of yourself you wish to go.

Anyway, the other night( Jan.30) , the "grid" showed, at 8:00pm, the Susan Hayward movie, "I WANT TO LIVE" was cominng on.  I haven't seen it in years, and I thought it'd be nice to see it again, so I settled down, fresh coffee in my cup, and had my heart set on seeing  that movie.  But, WHAT should happen to be starting JUST when I WANT TO LIVE was supposed to be on?

THE TIME MACHINE with Rod Taylor!

Well, me and my wife, despite the puzzlement and disappointent in the switch, sat there and watched the TIME MACHINE----again!  That we LIKE the movie DID help, and we did understand that the schedule had to be "jiggered" with to get in the recently deceased Taylor's TRIBUTE night movies.  But, I was wondering if the "glitch" in the cable grid was a TCM fault, or my CABLE service's screw-up?

By the way, if you don't know or are sure of WHAT you're seeing on screen at the time you're watching, there's an "info" button you can push, and on the bottom of the creen will appear a white bar with the name of what's being BROADCAST on the CHANNEL you're on at the time you're watching.  And, all through TheTime Machine", a push of the "info" button STILL told us we were watching "I Want To Live"!

Sepiatone

I am assuming the evening that you were going to watch the other movie, based on what you saw on the programming grid or whatever it is called... guide (?) was the evening TCM changed it's programming for a Rod Taylor tribute? I am not getting TCM now so I pay little attention to what is on unless it is something of value to discuss, beyond a film's showing on TCM.

If that was the case I am sure the cable guide on your tv was not updated in time to reflect this change. I am fairly sure that the guide is not updated as soon as everyone seems to think that it is.

My cable service offers me, with the "digital" package, a remote that has a "guide" button on it, which takes you to a screen that shows a huge "grid" like programming schedule.  On it, you can see what's showing on the channel the TV was on when you hit the "guide" button, PLUS, with the working of "four-way" direction buttons, what's coming on throughout the hour, or even all day, depending on just how far ahead of yourself you wish to go.

Anyway, the other night( Jan.30) , the "grid" showed, at 8:00pm, the Susan Hayward movie, "I WANT TO LIVE" was cominng on.  I haven't seen it in years, and I thought it'd be nice to see it again, so I settled down, fresh coffee in my cup, and had my heart set on seeing  that movie.  But, WHAT should happen to be starting JUST when I WANT TO LIVE was supposed to be on?

THE TIME MACHINE with Rod Taylor!

Well, me and my wife, despite the puzzlement and disappointent in the switch, sat there and watched the TIME MACHINE----again!  That we LIKE the movie DID help, and we did understand that the schedule had to be "jiggered" with to get in the recently deceased Taylor's TRIBUTE night movies.  But, I was wondering if the "glitch" in the cable grid was a TCM fault, or my CABLE service's screw-up?

By the way, if you don't know or are sure of WHAT you're seeing on screen at the time you're watching, there's an "info" button you can push, and on the bottom of the creen will appear a white bar with the name of what's being BROADCAST on the CHANNEL you're on at the time you're watching.  And, all through TheTime Machine", a push of the "info" button STILL told us we were watching "I Want To Live"!

Sepiatone

I don't know if this info will help but it looks like the issue you're referring to. I've Googled errors in television/TV/provider guide listings 7 ways to Sunday, this is all that came up.

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/211

I say the problem is between the provider and the receiver TV/DVR/cable box or whatever displays the guide info.  My Directv guide's only problem is once in a blue moon the wrong time (current time) is displayed.  Example it might show 6:45 instead of 7:00.

I don't know if this info will help but it looks like the issue you're referring to. I've Googled errors in television/TV/provider guide listings 7 ways to Sunday, this is all that came up.

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/211

I say the problem is between the provider and the receiver TV/DVR/cable box or whatever displays the guide info.  My Directv guide's only problem is once in a blue moon the wrong time (current time) is displayed.  Example it might show 6:45 instead of 7:00.

This is good and useful-helpful information. Thank you for doing this.

But clearly does not resolve the issue Sepiatone is speaking to.

I checked. Thursday, January 29th the schedule had been changed by TCM to show a tribute to Rod Taylor. So whatever films that were scheduled before a decision was made to showcase a tribute to Taylor, were put off and or rescheduled for another night of viewing. TCM does this all the time, especially whenever anyone of significance passes away.

I am not a programming person, but I think what happened is that the programming guide that Sepiatone was referring to had not yet been updated or changed to reflect the TCM schedule change for that evening. I have often turned on my set to see a similar guide only to see something different being shown on the channel where I thought something else would be on.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings