Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
speedracer5

Screwball Comediennes

It's not screwball but Bette Davis should have won for The Letter in 1940. It's arguably her greatest performance

According to Bette herself, her best performance was in DARK VICTORY.

I don't remember where I read it but I remember reading she considered Now Voyager her best.

They are all great performances

one could also mount a viable case for Harlow winning for Red Dust, but I actually stick to giving it to her for Dinner at Eight for a variety of reasons, among them the lack (at the time) of supporting categories; the fact that sometimes a role and a star is so big, it breaks out of the confines of the time and really becomes anything but supporting; and I just have to applaud the fact that Harlow- who only a year before iwas so awful in The Publc Enemy is not just holding her own Wallace Beery (who was an intimidating scene stealer) but she's the one stealing scenes; and in a film with so many STARS, she is the one whose presence dominates.

Hell, for that matter, you could have given it to Harlow for Red Headed Woman,  which was also made in 1932, if for no other reason than to give Joe Breen a heart attack.  In terms of flaunting every taboo in the Hays Code, that movie was in a class by itself.  Never had a character as conventionally immoral as Harlow ever been allowed to come out so blatantly on top at the end of any movie in the studio era.  Not only does this homewrecker wind up with a French sugar daddy, but she even gets to have her lover as the chauffeur in her sugar daddy's limo!  I have NO idea how that movie ever made it past the censors, even in that pre-code era. 99% of the time a character like that winds up in full scale confessional mode, like Miriam Hopkins in The Story of Temple Drake, or worse.

Hell, for that matter, you could have given it to Harlow for Red Headed Woman,  which was also made in 1932, if for no other reason than to give Joe Breen a heart attack.  In terms of flaunting every taboo in the Hays Code, that movie was in a class by itself.  Never had a character as conventionally immoral as Harlow ever been allowed to come out so blatantly on top at the end of any movie in the studio era.  Not only does this homewrecker wind up with a French sugar daddy, but she even gets to have her lover as the chauffeur in her sugar daddy's limo!  I have NO idea how that movie ever made it past the censors, even in that pre-code era. 99% of the time a character like that winds up in full scale confessional mode, like Miriam Hopkins in The Story of Temple Drake, or worse.

Not to mention in Red Headed Woman, when Jean Harlow is putting on her lingerie, you get a clear shot of her right breast and n ipple.  I can't believe nobody saw that.  I think Harlow's darker hair was also quite becoming on her.

Not to mention in Red Headed Woman, when Jean Harlow is putting on her lingerie, you get a clear shot of her right breast and n ipple.  I can't believe nobody saw that.  I think Harlow's darker hair was also quite becoming on her.

Now, I have a nephew( among many) who only got "into" classic movies because I showed him THAT movie, and CLAUDETT COLBERT'S "The Sign Of The Cross" (of the famed MILK BATH), and so NOW, he's "into" classic  pre-codes!  :P

Sepiatone

• Like 1

The sight of Harlow's exposed breast could give MANY guys a heart attack.