Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

1 hour ago, midnight08 said:

Jean and Clark, Ruby and Dick were already mentioned previously. However, no one has mentioned Laurel and Hardy, The Marx Brothers, Greta Garbo and John Gilbert.

I was just responded to the list that "Loving the classics" posted, and I didn't see Harlow and Gable, and Ruby Keeler and Powell on her list, but I just saw them on yours. Laurel and Hardy was mentioned on her list.  I got another one I haven't seen here, Esther Williams and Van Johnson. Just curious, what's your response to Eleanor Powell and Robert Taylor?

2 hours ago, midnight08 said:

Jean and Clark, Ruby and Dick were already mentioned previously. However, no one has mentioned Laurel and Hardy, The Marx Brothers, Greta Garbo and John Gilbert.

Laurel an Hardy was listed in the original post (as well as Martin and Lewis and Abbott & Costello.

I would add Mitchum and Russell (but yea, they were in only 2 films) and Ladd and Lake.

6 hours ago, Allenex said:

Just curious, what's your response to Eleanor Powell and Robert Taylor?

I don't know what criteria "loving the classics" was looking for when mentioning screen teams. How many films together would constitute a screen team?  Eleanor Powell and Robert Taylor only starred together in two films.

I thought of another one; Clark Gable and Myrna Loy. They co-starred in 6 films together. 

Danny Kaye and Virginia Mayo

Lon Chaney, Jr. and Evelyn Ankers

George Sidney and Charles Murray

Groucho Marx and Margaret Dumont

12 hours ago, midnight08 said:

I don't know what criteria "loving the classics" was looking for when mentioning screen teams. How many films together would constitute a screen team?  Eleanor Powell and Robert Taylor only starred together in two films.

I thought of another one; Clark Gable and Myrna Loy. They co-starred in 6 films together. 

I was thinking that Eleanor Powell and Robert Taylor were together in Broadway melody 36, 38, and 40, but I remembered since its been a longer time since I've seen Broadway melody 40 than when I last saw 36 and 38, that Taylor wasn't in 40 since Fred Astaire took a big role in that film. I already remember Astaire was in it because I cannot forget him and Eleanor dancing together, but I forgot Taylor wasn't in it.

Clark Gable and Myrna Loy were in 6 film's together, but Myrna and William Powell were in 12 films together, I think that's close to the record number with Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney not being far behind starring in 9 films together.

7 hours ago, Allenex said:

Clark Gable and Myrna Loy were in 6 film's together, but Myrna and William Powell were in 12 films together, I think that's close to the record number with Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney not being far behind starring in 9 films together.

Does anyone know what screen team holds the record number of films together? Without researching I would assume Laurel and Hardy. 

14 hours ago, midnight08 said:

Does anyone know what screen team holds the record number of films together? Without researching I would assume Laurel and Hardy. 

Oh yeh. When not talking about on screen romantic couples, Laurel and Hardy definitely take the cake.

51 minutes ago, Allenex said:

Oh yeh. When not talking about on screen romantic couples, Laurel and Hardy definitely take the cake.

Yea,  there are many ways one can define a 'screen team'.    Clearly many of the comic teams have many more films together than any romantic couple.   

But so would parings of lead and supporting actors;  E.g.  Wayne \ Bond,   or Cagney \ O'Brien or Cagney \ McHugh etc...

If these type of 'teams' are in the running,  it makes it much harder to do the researcher.  

Regardless of how they may have felt about each other in real life, always loved the teamings of James Cagney and Humphrey Bogart.

Also loved Bogey with Bacall and with Edward G. Robinson.

And Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee starred in many films together as well (mostly Hammer productions but I loved them).

3 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Regardless of how they may have felt about each other in real life, always loved the teamings of James Cagney and Humphrey Bogart.

Also loved Bogey with Bacall and with Edward G. Robinson.

And Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee starred in many films together as well (mostly Hammer productions but I loved them).

Or Bogey and Peter Lorre, or Edward G Robinson and Lorre. I always liked the Bugs bunny cartoon that has cartoon replicas of Robinson and Lorre. "Gimme the dough, see?" "Oohh! Rocky's fed up, take this mug for a ride".