Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Our Winners: The "Best" Best Pictures of All Time Poll: New York Film Critics

Swithin

Here's a poll similar to Skimpole's fun Best Pictures of the Year/Oscar thread.

List your 10 favorite New York Film Critics Best Picture winners in this thread. I will calculate the winner based on all submissions to this poll by the end of the day EST Saturday February 28. (Note that the New York Film Critics started giving the awards in 1935 and that the award year is often the same as the film release year). Several of the choices will be the same as the Oscars, but there are many differences. It may be interesting to compare the lists in the two polls later on, although I will just be tabulating the number of times a film appears on a top ten list, rather than allotting points to where it appear on the list.

You can find a list of winners here:

http://www.nyfcc.com/awards/?cat=1

Or here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Film_Critics_Circle_Award_for_Best_Film

Here are my choices.

Boyhood (2014)

Brokeback Mountain (2005)
A Passage to India (1984)
Reds (1981)
Tom Jones (1963)
High Noon (1952)
The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)
Citizen Kane (1941)
The Grapes of Wrath (1940)
Wuthering Heights (1939)

My choices in order are:

1.  Citizen Kane

2.  The Bridge on the River Kwai

3.  On the Waterfront

4.  The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

5.  The Social Network

6.  A Clockwork Orange

7.  The Grapes of Wrath

8.  Goodfellas

9.  Day For Night

10.  Saving Private Ryan

Sorry, there is still no Dr. Strangleove.  What on earth were they thinking?

These are my choices:

Passage to India (1984)

Terms of Endearment (1983)

The Deer Hunter (1978)

Darling (1965)

Marty (1955)

Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)

The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)

The Lost Weekend (1945)

Watch on the Rhine (1943)

The Grapes of Wrath (1940)

Wasn't sure how they were to be listed. So I did mine by the recent year first not in order of favorites.

My favorite New York Film Critics Best Picture Winners:

1. All About Eve

2. Citizen Kane

3. Treasure of the Sierra Madre

4. From Here to Eternity

5. Saving Private Ryan

6. Goodfellas

7. The Apartment

8. West Side Story

9. LA Confidential

10. The Lost Weekend

Here's mine

1.  All the President's Men

2.  A Man for All Seasons

3.  Gandhi

4.  Cries and Whispers

5.   Around the World in 80 Days

6.  Schindler's List

7.  Annie Hall

8,  Goodfellas

9,  L.A. Confidential

10. Mulholland Drive

Swithin, thanks for posting this. I remember that skimpole had a thread comparing the Oscar and NY Film Critics winners a few years back.

It's curious that I have more post-1970 favorites on the NYFC list than on the Oscar list. However the NYFC 1935-1944 decade is perhaps less impressive than the Oscars, even with the addition of Kane.

In chronological order:

The Grapes of Wrath

Citizen Kane

The Best Years of Our Lives

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

All About Eve

High Noon

Quiz Show

L.A. Confidential

Sideways

Brokeback Mountain

Honorable mention: Prizzi's Honor, A Passage to India, Broadcast News, In Which We Serve

Swithin, thanks for posting this. I remember that skimpole had a thread comparing the Oscar and NY Film Critics winners a few years back.

It's curious that I have more post-1970 favorites on the NYFC list than on the Oscar list. However the NYFC 1935-1944 decade is perhaps less impressive than the Oscars, even with the addition of Kane.

In chronological order:

The Grapes of Wrath

Citizen Kane

The Best Years of Our Lives

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

All About Eve

High Noon

Quiz Show

L.A. Confidential

Sideways

Brokeback Mountain

Honorable mention: Prizzi's Honor, A Passage to India, Broadcast News, In Which We Serve

biased and one-sided politically correct HS. :)

My choices in order are:

1.  Citizen Kane

2.  The Bridge on the River Kwai

3.  On the Waterfront

4.  The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

5.  The Social Network

6.  A Clockwork Orange

7.  The Grapes of Wrath

8.  Goodfellas

9.  Day For Night

10.  Saving Private Ryan

Sorry, there is still no Dr. Strangleove.  What on earth were they thinking?

They apparently have some strange loves.

Top 10 in order of preference:

1.  All About Eve*

2.  GoodFellas

3.  The Best Years of Our Lives

4.  L. A. Confidential

5.  Z

6.  Treasure of the Sierra Madre

7.  My Fair Lady

8.  All The Kings's Men

9.  On the Waterfront

10. The Lost Weekend

* #1 by a mile

Why is this considered politically correct? I'm not being a smart *** I am just curious. We are picking from a list of great movies. Either I am missing something or just not very bright. Just trying to understand.

You didn't pick a movie that was directed by Clint Eastwood or that starred John Wayne.   

Come on,  that shouldn't be too hard to figure out.   ;)

he's right. I'm harmless.

I always thought so. But describing a person's list of "best movies" that way shows you to be a far nastier piece of work than I'd assumed you to be up till now.

It was deliberately provocative - designed to cause insult and hurt feelings. It takes a real a-hole to say something like that in a friendly thread like this one is supposed to be.

I always thought so. But describing a person's list of "best movies" that way shows you to be a far nastier piece of work than I'd assumed you to be up till now.

It was deliberately provocative - designed to cause insult and hurt feelings. It takes a real a-hole to say something like that in a friendly thread like this one is supposed to be.

It was also downright cowardly as this individual did not share his/her list of favorite films that were presumably not biased, politically correct, and/or HS. Easy to mock other's favorites when one does not put one's own out there to be judged.

It was also downright cowardly as this individual did not share his/her list of favorite films that were presumably not biased, politically correct, and/or HS. Easy to mock other's favorites when one does not put one's own out there to be judged.

In addition to being rude, if one might infer what the poster meant by "politically correct," he's inaccurate. I remember when The Deer Hunter -- a film which I love -- came out. That film was not considered "politically correct;" Coming Home (which won many awards for its actors but not for best film) was considered the "politically correct" film of that year.

Anyway, no Clint Eastwood or John Wayne movies have ever won Best Picture from the New York Film Critics.

Point of comparison:

New York Critics:  1935-2013  78 winners, 77 Seen 29 on my top 10 for that year

Oscars:  1927/28-2013: 86 winners, 86 seen, 28 on my top 10 for that year

National Board of Review 1932-2013 85 winners (because of 4 ties)  73 seen, 30 on my top 10 for that year

1. ALL ABOUT EVE

2. BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES

3. FROM HERE TO ETERNITY

4. THE APARTMENT

5. MARTY

6. THE TREASURE OF SIERRA MADRE

7. GOODFELLAS

8. MY FAIR LADY

9. PRIZZI'S HONOR

10. THE LOST WEEK-END

If we were allowed more picks I'd add WUTHERING HEIGHTS, WEST SIDE STORY, QUIZ SHOW, ON THE WATERFRONT, ALL THE KING'S MEN

It would be interesting to do a BAFTA (British Academy) poll at some point. Bogie56 would then be able to vote for Dr. Strangelove..

BAFTA began giving awards for "Best Film from any source" in 1948. They also give an award for Best British Film, but our poll would be for the Best Film from any source, which later became "Best Film." Sometimes a film wins both Best Film and Best British Film (as Dr. Strangelove did). In later years, the Best Foreign Language Film category was added; in earlier years, foreign-language films were nominated in the Best Film category.

We can do a BAFTA poll after we finish up the NY Film Critics awards poll.

It would be interesting to do a BAFTA (British Academy) poll at some point. Bogie56 would then be able to vote for Dr. Strangelove..

BAFTA began giving awards for "Best Film from any source" in 1948. They also give an award for Best British Film, but our poll would be for the Best Film from any source, which later became "Best Film." Sometimes a film wins both Best Film and Best British Film (as Dr. Strangelove did). In later years, the Best Foreign Language Film category was added; in earlier years, foreign-language films were nominated in the Best Film category.

We can do a BAFTA poll after we finish up the NY Film Critics awards poll.

How was DR. STRANGELOVE a British film?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings