Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Slightly Off Topic - The Odd Couple

Does EVERYTHING have to be rebooted?

(Poster is in error, they do share one thing in common...driving each other crazy.)

To answer your question:  YES.

If something that is 'rebooted' has the potential to make money,  then someone will reboot it.  

This is the nature of a capitalist society.

To answer your question:  YES.

If something that is 'rebooted' has the potential to make money,  then someone will reboot it.  

This is the nature of a capitalist society.

Usually "Yes" if the producer thinks there are some loose ends that need to be tied up, or "Yes" if there is reason enough to believe it will make money.  But usually the former.  There is some good that can come out of it though, as the older version can regain some popularity in spite of the remake..  and that is Capitalism too.

At (great) risk of being politically incorrect..

I believe there may be some intent to bring this franchise(?) into the 21st century with it's LGBT awareness. The producers are not going to play down this aspect - they're not playing it up, either. The option is on the table for today's viewers to interpret.

A well written show should go a long way towards success here. Hopefully, the shows writers have learned a few things from Neil Simon.

qnpous.jpg

At (great) risk of being politically incorrect..

I believe there may be some intent to bring this franchise(?) into the 21st century with it's LGBT awareness. The producers are not going to play down this aspect - they're not playing it up, either. The option is on the table for today's viewers to interpret.

A well written show should go a long way towards success here. Hopefully, the shows writers have learned a few things from Neil Simon.
qnpous.jpg

Is there anyone who surmised that Felix and Oscar might be getting it on in 1966? 

Usually "Yes" if the producer thinks there are some loose ends that need to be tied up, or "Yes" if there is reason enough to believe it will make money.  But usually the former.  There is some good that can come out of it though, as the older version can regain some popularity in spite of the remake..  and that is Capitalism too.

As for remakes:  I always make the same point you're making with regards to older versions (in the case of the Odd Couple the movie as well as the T.V. Show),   regaining some popularity.   But I would say BECAUSE of the remake instead of 'in spite of'.

As for the producer thinking there are some loose ends that need to be tied up:   I really doubt that is the case (or I should say, I would hope that isn't the case).   

My assumption is that the producer feels the original source material (script,  play, book NOT the movie or TV show) is solid and sound and therefore can be milked again. 

I'm already laughing    NOT.

Are there reasons you're already judging something you haven't seen?

One concern I have is with the casting of Mathew Perry.   The persona he had in Friends is a much closer match to Felix then Oscar,  so I question that casting choice.   

Anyhow,  when the original T.V. show came out I assume people also questioned the casting of the leads.  But to me the castings of the T.V. show was slightly better then the movie  (especially Randall over Lemmon). 

One concern I have is with the casting of Mathew Perry.   The persona he had in Friends is a much closer match to Felix then Oscar,  so I question that casting choice.   

Anyhow,  when the original T.V. show came out I assume people also questioned the casting of the leads.  But to me the castings of the T.V. show was slightly better then the movie  (especially Randall over Lemmon). 

Randall was closer to the character, but Lemmon was a much better actor. Standoff.

Randall was closer to the character, but Lemmon was a much better actor. Standoff.

I don't see a standoff related to the point I was making about the casting of Felix.   

Randall was a good enough actor that him being closer to the character makes him the better choice for Felix.    e.g. I think the movie would have been better with Randall instead of Lemmon.    

I don't see a standoff related to the point I was making about the casting of Felix.   

Randall was a good enough actor that him being closer to the character makes him the better choice for Felix.    e.g. I think the movie would have been better with Randall instead of Lemmon.    

Not when you consider the obvious chemistry between Lemmon and Matthau which was proven over and over.

• Like 1

I prefer Walter Matthau as Oscar, and Tony Randall as Felix - though, as DGF stated, I believe Jack Lemmon to be the better actor, on the whole.

I do not, however, wish the movie had Matthau and Randall paired - I don't believe their chemistry would have been (as) good. Same with the series' Jack Klugman and Jack Lemmon combination. I like the movie and the series equally well.

Who do you think would make a good slob?

Is there anyone who surmised that Felix and Oscar might be getting it on in 1966? 

Certainly not me, and no one I know. That's old hat stuff in Hollywood, so who knows what was speculated, or by whom. Might as well ask the same of Some Like it Hot.

Wow, Hollywood really thinks these two losers are even CLOSE to as good/funny/talented as Klugman, Randall, Matthau, and/or Lemmon? Seriously?!

Well, not to us. The Millennials, maybe, as actors they can more readily identify with.

Well, not to us. The Millennials, maybe, as actors they can more readily identify with.

I do find both those actors very comedically talented. Lennon is less-known - but he was really excellent as Lieutenant Dangle in 'Reno 911'.

No reason for a good comedic idea to not be re-visited from time to time. This might be quite a funny show that subtracts nothing from the Randall-Klugman legacy.

I do find both those actors very comedically talented. Lennon is less-known - but he was really excellent as Lieutenant Dangle in 'Reno 911'.

No reason for a good comedic idea to not be re-visited from time to time. This might be quite a funny show that subtracts nothing from the Randall-Klugman legacy.

I'm one who has avoided many new shows of the past 30 years but, yes, Reno 911 was funny and I watched many episodes.

In view of Lennon's 911 role, I'm getting the impression there may be some type-casting here - if, indeed, the Felix character is portrayed similarly.

Yes,  Lennon was very funny on Reno 911 and I assume he will make a good Felix.   He has the right type of persona for the character.    But I'm not so sure about Mathew Perry as Oscar.    Perry typically played fussy type of male characters.  

It's being insinuated these two bachelors will be gay?

What a mistake!

Think of all the funny situations that arose due to ex-wives, even kids. And even funnier situations involving getting back into the dating scene.....remember the funny British twins in the movie?

Ironically I think the Odd Couple 2 is a fantastic movie and watch it frequently.  However, I never have liked Odd Couple 1.

To me, The Odd Couple always felt like watching a play, with it's small stage sets - similar to Hitchcock's Rope. I haven't seen Odd Couple II,  but I'm guessing it's more like an actual film, with open and more varied sets. Am I close?

To me, The Odd Couple always felt like watching a play, with it's small stage sets - similar to Hitchcock's Rope. I haven't seen Odd Couple II,  but I'm guessing it's more like an actual film, with open and more varied sets. Am I close?

It's a road picture with much of it outdoors.  Lot mores "sets."  Basic premise is the conflict between Lennon and Mathau and their being "forced" to travel together to the wedding of their children after not seeing each other for 17 years.  I think it has a lot more pure comedy as well.

• Like 1