Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Slightly Off Topic - The Odd Couple

It's being insinuated these two bachelors will be gay?

What a mistake!

Think of all the funny situations that arose due to ex-wives, even kids. And even funnier situations involving getting back into the dating scene.....remember the funny British twins in the movie?

When bachelors lived together, there was always the thought that they might be gay, even long before that. How about Cary Grant and Randolph Scott?

• Like 1

Well, not to us. The Millennials, maybe, as actors they can more readily identify with.

While I can't speak for all Millennials, I can say that this old Millennial definitely raised an eyebrow when I saw the preview for the "new" Odd Couple.  I watched the Randall/Klugman Odd Couple all the time on Nick at Nite.  It was one of my favorite shows, and it had a great theme song:

On November 13, Felix Unger was asked to remove himself from his place of residence.  That request came from his wife. Deep down, he knew she was right, but he also knew that someday, he would return to her. With nowhere else to go, he appeared at the home of his childhood friend, Oscar Madison.  Sometime earlier, Madison's wife had thrown him out, requesting that he never return. Can two divorced men share an apartment without driving each other crazy?

I like the show better than the movie.  Even though the movie definitely had its moments.  Felix is hilarious with his sinus problems and when he vacuums Oscar's poker table while Oscar and his friends are playing cards. 

I am unfamiliar with the actor they've cast as Felix and Matthew Perry has never been a favorite of mine.  He wasn't my favorite 'Friend.'  He does neurotic well, so hearing that he's supposed to play a slob, that'll be interesting.

Instead of a new 'Odd Couple,' CBS should just rerun old episodes of the original show.

While I can't speak for all Millennials, I can say that this old Millennial definitely raised an eyebrow when I saw the preview for the "new" Odd Couple.  I watched the Randall/Klugman Odd Couple all the time on Nick at Nite.  It was one of my favorite shows, and it had a great theme song:

On November 13, Felix Unger was asked to remove himself from his place of residence.  That request came from his wife. Deep down, he knew she was right, but he also knew that someday, he would return to her. With nowhere else to go, he appeared at the home of his childhood friend, Oscar Madison.  Sometime earlier, Madison's wife had thrown him out, requesting that he never return. Can two divorced men share an apartment without driving each other crazy?

I like the show better than the movie.  Even though the movie definitely had its moments.  Felix is hilarious with his sinus problems and when he vacuums Oscar's poker table while Oscar and his friends are playing cards. 

I am unfamiliar with the actor they've cast as Felix and Matthew Perry has never been a favorite of mine.  He wasn't my favorite 'Friend.'  He does neurotic well, so hearing that he's supposed to play a slob, that'll be interesting.

Instead of a new 'Odd Couple,' CBS should just rerun old episodes of the original show.

The new Felix is Thomas Lennon. He got his start on the MTv sketch comedy show "The State" in the early 90s. He went on to numerous film and tv roles since, most prominently creating and starring in the long running show "Reno!911" on Comedy Central. He's also a successful screenwriter, having written the "Night at the Museum" movies, among others.

That being said, this "Odd Couple" remake is a terrible idea and looks horrible.

One concern I have is with the casting of Mathew Perry.   The persona he had in Friends is a much closer match to Felix then Oscar,  so I question that casting choice.   

This is basically two Felixes. One neater than the other. This Oscar will never stray from political correctness, never be too messy or grumpy. There really is no balance. With the original t.v. show there was always one you could identify with (for me it was Oscar ). Both of these guys are far too metrosexual for me. 

Who is supposed to watch this ? Men rarely watch network sitcoms. Women are watching bad reality shows, Kids (see below ). Old folks can watch the original on some subchannel somewhere.    

Well, not to us. The Millennials, maybe, as actors they can more readily identify with.

Millennials  don't watch sit coms. What's a network ?? Cable has been the norm since they were born in 1980- 2000. All the channels are just channels to them. I have two nephews in their twenties. Neither of them watch any sitcom. Live sports neither, but that's another topic. For them its movies or video games.

You think this is bad ?? There is a new All in the Family in the works. You couldn't even use the old scripts from the old show today. How are you going to make a whole new series ?? Its official, Hollywood has run out of ideas.

Does EVERYTHING have to be rebooted?

(Poster is in error, they do share one thing in common...driving each other crazy.)

odd-couple-poster.jpg?w=449&h=600

Oscar is supposed to be sloppy. What is sloppy about this man's appearance ? Pants fit well, shirts fit well. He does have dirty shoes but, could you imagine Jack Klugman with hair done so well ?

Millennials  don't watch sit coms. What's a network ?? Cable has been the norm since they were born in 1980- 2000. All the channels are just channels to them. I have two nephews in their twenties. Neither of them watch any sitcom. Live sports neither, but that's another topic. For them its movies or video games.

You think this is bad ?? There is a new All in the Family in the works. You couldn't even use the old scripts from the old show today. How are you going to make a whole new series ?? Its official, Hollywood has run out of ideas.

LOL!  This makes me remember when I first discovered UHF-tv. I thought we had it made with 3 Network channels - then, after years of not realizing (I was so satisfied with the networks I never channel surfed), I discovered there were "extra" channels. Wow! I had doubled my available channels - just like that!

:lol:

That's the point of the thread. 

Once in a blue moon they will come up with something original like "Sleepy Hollow".  Never thought I live to watch a network based series ever again.

When bachelors lived together, there was always the thought that they might be gay, even long before that. How about Cary Grant and Randolph Scott?

Cary Grant was known to be a cheapskate among people who he associated with.  His family was poor during his childhood and he continued to live a frugal life even after he found fame and fortune.  Scott was Grant's rich friend, who allowed him move into his mansion for a while.  Grant stayed there for a year or two I think - according to a Hollywood book or two I have read which was based on real accounts from people who they associated with (you almost always have to dig to get to the bottom of these things, but that's what books with plenty of footnotes and references are for).  Scott's mansion was a social hot-spot nicknamed "The Bachelor Pad".  Plenty of women coming and going.  They probably did have some Felix and Oscar moments, but there were also enough contradictions to break down that comparison.  After a year or two, Grant moved out and got a place of his own.

This is basically two Felixes. One neater than the other. This Oscar will never stray from political correctness, never be too messy or grumpy. There really is no balance. With the original t.v. show there was always one you could identify with (for me it was Oscar ). Both of these guys are far too metrosexual for me. 

Who is supposed to watch this ? Men rarely watch network sitcoms. Women are watching bad reality shows, Kids (see below ). Old folks can watch the original on some subchannel somewhere.    

Yup, what he said.

Just an odd random thought - Walter Mathau also starred in Pelham 1-2-3.  In that there was a bad guy character, played by Martin Balsam.  In the end of that movie, the two of them end up in Balsam's crappy little apartment, with garbage stacked everywhere.  It looked like he hadn't wiped down any of the surfaces in the kitchen or taken out the garbage in six months.  The doorbuzzer buzzes.  Balsam nervously combs his greasy oily hair.  Mathau is there to check up on him, and upon entering Mathau looks around and says "Nice place you got here".  :D

My take on this whole thing...

I don't think this makes the case that "Hollywood has officially run out of ideas", but perhaps more the idea of "going back" to some concept of the "original source material" and instead of doing an "offshoot" of the basic concept. In this I mean, the hit sitcom "Two and a Half Men" was basically taking "The Odd Couple" premise and then placing a slightly different spin on it. Of course, it's a shame that "Two and a Half Men" which was originally very funny has been for the past few seasons much more raunchy than funny, but that's a different subject entirely, or in other words "it jumped the shark" about a season before Charlie Sheen left the series.

Yep, I think the case of this NEW "Odd Couple" is more the idea of a "revisiting a classic" and without a new spin of the basic concept.

Though I still only give it a short run before its yet another failed post-Friends Mathew Perry sitcom. And, I liked Perry as the Chandler Bing character, and so this opinion of mine here has nothing to do with "not liking" him. I just think it won't catch on.

Actually, I think Perry and with how he's generally perceived by the television audience, he'd be much better cast as sort of a latter day Bob Newhart psychiatrist type in a sitcom, 'cause yeah, he just doesn't project that whole "slob" thing at all.

(...side note here, though not that it's any kind of big deal, but back in the mid-70s, Matthew's dad, actor John Bennett Perry and I once helped a young lady I really had the hots for and who I worked with at TWA at the time, move from her apartment in Manhattan Beach to another one in Santa Monica...and no, unfortunately my helping her move didn't get me anywhere with her...turns out she liked older men...I occasionally wonder whatever became of Annette...what a fox she was...the term "fox" here applied as to the '70s context of the word, anyway)

That's the point of the thread. 

Once in a blue moon they will come up with something original like "Sleepy Hollow".  Never thought I live to watch a network based series ever again.

The new theme song will begin, "Boy, the way Duran Duran played........"

"The new theme song will begin, "Boy, the way Duran Duran played......".

My take on this whole thing...

I don't think this makes the case that "Hollywood has officially run out of ideas", but perhaps more the idea of "going back" to some concept of the "original source material" and instead of doing an "offshoot" of the basic concept. In this I mean, the hit sitcom "Two and a Half Men" was basically taking "The Odd Couple" premise and then placing a slightly different spin on it. Of course, it's a shame that "Two and a Half Men" which was originally very funny has been for the past few seasons much more raunchy than funny, but that's a different subject entirely, or in other words "it jumped the shark" about a season before Charlie Sheen left the series.

Charlie Sheen didn't leave, he was FIRED!  The reason Warner Brother's said..“a felony offense involving moral turpitude.”

(geeze 90% of Hollywood then needs to be fired)

Charlie Sheen didn't leave, he was FIRED!  The reason Warner Brother's said..“a felony offense involving moral turpitude.”

Yep.

That whole "tiger blood" thing as I recall.

(...what a mess the guy is...no argument there)

Late to another party!----

I'll look at it to see how they do, might not be too bad, it's not a good habit to get into, this "pre-judgement" thing---

But, as the FIRST television adaptation of Neil Simon's successful STAGE PLAY , was adapted from a STAGE PLAY, that was ALSO adapted to a MOTION PICTURE, there's NO point, nor sense, in referring to the Jack Klugman/Tony Randall television show based on that play as the "original"! 

In the past, I've seen SHOWTIME channel and HBO and such produce versions of both "ODD COUPLE" and "BAREFOOT IN THE PARK" with completely different cast members, a few I've never heard of before, or SINCE, and they were good.

I can't imagine I'd turn down say, free tickets to a touring company's performance of either play because Matthau, Lemmon, Fonda or Redford weren't in either cast!

Sepiatone

GGGerald said: Millennials  don't watch sit coms.

Um, everyone I know watches that wretched BIG BANG THEORY. And most everyone I know of all age groups are hooked on slick fantasy serial shows like WALKING DEAD & ONCE UPON A TIME.

In fact, it's often noticed that I don't watch ANY TV series, since most all my friends do.

GGG said: What's a network ?? Cable has been the norm since they were born in 1980- 2000. All the channels are just channels to them.

I agree with THAT assessment as it relates to concept. Except they will say, "What about the animal channel, or HBO?" so there is some channel recognition.

There is a new All in the Family in the works. You couldn't even use the old scripts from the old show today. How are you going to make a whole new series ?? Its official, Hollywood has run out of ideas.

Generational comedy will always be a winner if done correctly. The greatest reasons AITF for success was: A. great writing, B. great acting and C. they pulled no punches. 

There is a new All in the Family in the works. You couldn't even use the old scripts from the old show today. How are you going to make a whole new series ?? Its official, Hollywood has run out of ideas.

Generational comedy will always be a winner if done correctly. The greatest reasons AITF for success was: A. great writing, B. great acting and C. they pulled no punches. 

72G8JKp.png

(geeze 90% of Hollywood then needs to be fired)

And he went on to make Anger Management for FX which was on for years, but I believe it has just ended.

I enjoyed Two and Half Men until Ashton Kutcher replaced Charlie Sheen.  Never have liked Kutcher and they completely revised the character.

Have watched a few episodes of Big Bang Theory, but just can't understand its attraction.

And he went on to make Anger Management for FX which was on for years, but I believe it has just ended.

I enjoyed Two and Half Men until Ashton Kutcher replaced Charlie Sheen.  Never have liked Kutcher and they completely revised the character.

Have watched a few episodes of Big Bang Theory, but just can't understand its attraction.

"The Big Bang Theory" is hypocrisy in action...in other words I thought we shouldn't stereotype people as the Millennial Generation  keeps complaining about. I will not watch that stupid thing!

Don't exactly fit the profile, do they?

peter-higgs-boson-discovery-nobel-prize-

europeanorga.jpg

0.jpg

Higgs5_1133573g.jpg

Because my kid said she liked it, I have tried. Several times. I just can't do it.

I have not been able to put up with that thing for more than 10 minutes, tops. Has to be the most injudicious use of a laugh track I've ever experienced - it bursts forth every 10-15 seconds over absolutely nothing.

It's as bad as the one they use for 'How I Met Your Mother', which I also haven't been able to watch to the completeness of an episode.

Because my kid said she liked it, I have tried. Several times. I just can't do it.

I have not been able to put up with that thing for more than 10 minutes, tops. Has to be the most injudicious use of a laugh track I've ever experienced - it bursts forth every 10-15 seconds over absolutely nothing.

It's as bad as the one they use for 'How I Met Your Mother', which I also haven't been able to watch to the completeness of an episode.

Most of the early TV sitcoms were like that, with the laugh track.

Isn't Big Bang Theory supposed to be a kind of REVENGE OF THE NERDS light? The funny carefree(?) life of nerds told from the perspective of nerds. Note the references to comic books, comic book conventions, Star Trek, Harry Potter, and all other things that it is perceived that nerds STEREOTYPICALLY take pleasure in. Even the names of the two main characters Leonard, not Len or Lenny, and Sheldon. Typical nerdish names. And I make that statement even though my name is Sheldon and I don't generally consider myself to be a nerd, although I do like the kinds of things that my television counterpart appears to like. Then again, maybe that's why I understand it's attraction.

Isn't Big Bang Theory supposed to be a kind of REVENGE OF THE NERDS light? The funny carefree(?) life of nerds told from the perspective of nerds. Note the references to comic books, comic book conventions, Star Trek, Harry Potter, and all other things that it is perceived that nerds STEREOTYPICALLY take pleasure in. Even the names of the two main characters Leonard, not Len or Lenny, and Sheldon. Typical nerdish names. And I make that statement even though my name is Sheldon and I don't generally consider myself to be a nerd, although I do like the kinds of things that my television counterpart appears to like. Then again, maybe that's why I understand it's attraction.

The names were chosen to honor Sheldon Leonard who was a big sit-com producer as well as an actor ;e.g.  the bartender in It's A Wonderful Life.   

• Like 1

I like the show too.  I don't consider myself a nerd, but I'll admit that I do play video games, read comic books (occasionally), go to comic stores and watch cartoons and yes, last year I went to the Portland Comic-Con, but I did not cosplay.  I just went to see what it was all about and people watch.  I like The Big Bang Theory because it shows the awkwardness of these uber-smart scientists trying to relate to lesser smart people like Cheesecake Factory waitress, Penny.  While the guys' constant theorizing and nerdy debates are funny, it's nice to have a more street-smart character like Penny to even them out.