Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Slightly Off Topic - The Odd Couple

I like The Big Bang Theory because it shows the awkwardness of these uber-smart scientists trying to relate to lesser smart people like Cheesecake Factory waitress, Penny. 

Ah-HA....now I understand the sudden popularity of that chain.

The attraction of the show is viewer's recognition of the "references".

Millenials feel isolation since there are so many of them, they can easily get lost in the crowd. They seem to have a desperate need to "stand out" ie tattoos/piercings/t-shirts to announce to the world "look at how cool I am". I think many enjoy seeing others with a similar knowledge base.

(no different from me, a punk rocker with hot pink hair in 1980 or from my older brother with "hippie" clothing & hair)

I certainly laughed at the kid who dressed as "The Doppler Effect" for Halloween. Just overall I find sitcoms a bore, especially that one. I just don't relate, personally.

And hamradio....not ALL scientific guys are creepy looking- my brother's an Astrophysicist and although over 50, he's quite a hunkster. 

WHAT??? "SHELDON is a "typically" Nerdy name?  :o

As in----SHELDON LEONARD???

I don't THINK so.....

And, NObody wants to stand out anymore.  Just look at how many people TRY to look alike these days.  Close youe eyes nd imagine this---

A guy with a shaven, bald head.  On that head is a khaki colored ball cap with a severely curved brim.  And on his face, slightly above a "double chin", is a "goatee".  Got that image?  Well, then, how many times have you seen THAT guy around town??? :ph34r:

HOW many guys do YOU see wearing hair no longer than a "five o'clock shadow"?  Trousers with the waist coming up no higher than the zenith of their  BUTT-CURVES?

Wearing similar ball caps backwards ?

Every generation had their uniforms.  Mine was the tight jeans, or flared jeans, "feathered" hair parted down the middle and such, just like the "waterfalls" and "D-As" of our older brother's time.

Actually, MY generaton went through a LOT of different looks, if you consider my generation living from about 1950 to now! ;)

Sepiatone

Because my kid said she liked it, I have tried. Several times. I just can't do it.

I have not been able to put up with that thing for more than 10 minutes, tops. Has to be the most injudicious use of a laugh track I've ever experienced - it bursts forth every 10-15 seconds over absolutely nothing.

It's as bad as the one they use for 'How I Met Your Mother', which I also haven't been able to watch to the completeness of an episode.

I too, couldn't hack either show.  OR that "Will and Grace" tripe that was supposed to be SO good!

But, I DO find myself laughing out loud at stuff I see and hear on both "The Middle" and "Modern Family".  But, what I DON'T hear, on EITHER of those shows, is a LAUGH TRACK!

And, to each their own.  I also never could get "into" both SEINFELD and "Arrested Developement".

Sepiatone

I like The Big Bang Theory because it shows the awkwardness of these uber-smart scientists trying to relate to lesser smart people like Cheesecake Factory waitress, Penny. 

And hamradio....not ALL scientific guys are creepy looking- my brother's an Astrophysicist and although over 50, he's quite a hunkster. 

I was stating scientist were not the stereotypical nerds the series implies.  (which of the CERN scientists creepy?)

I don't THINK so.....

And, NObody wants to stand out anymore.  Just look at how many people TRY to look alike these days.  Close youe eyes nd imagine this---

A guy with a shaven, bald head.  On that head is a khaki colored ball cap with a severely curved brim.  And on his face, slightly above a "double chin", is a "goatee".  Got that image?  Well, then, how many times have you seen THAT guy around town??? :ph34r:

HOW many guys do YOU see wearing hair no longer than a "five o'clock shadow"?  Trousers with the waist coming up no higher than the zenith of their  BUTT-CURVES?

Every generation had their uniforms.  Mine was the tight jeans, or flared jeans, "feathered" hair parted down the middle and such, just like the "waterfalls" and "D-As" of our older brother's time.

Actually, MY generaton went through a LOT of different looks, if you consider my generation living from about 1950 to now! ;)

Sepiatone

Sheldon IS a nerdy name. I'm surprised Sheldon Leonard stuck with it. Maybe it helped him to get into fights.

But, I DO find myself laughing out loud at stuff I see and hear on both "The Middle" and "Modern Family". 

See, I used to be in love with Patricia Heaton. On 'Raymond' I thought she was hot as hell. Now I briefly catch a glimpse of her with that helmet hairdo - looking like the Golem - and I just can't watch any more of 'The Middle'. It breaks my heart to see her so un-hot.

As for 'Modern Family', I watch that. It's a mixed bag of some very funny characters and some very annoying characters, so it's a bit of a love-hate thing with me. But Ty Burrell is so hilarious, his work on that show alone is enough to keep me watching week after week. Ed O'Neil is another standout. I had a bit of an issue initially with Julie Bowen, but have learned to love her. "Claire" is pretty darned funny. And, I find her attractive (which never hurts).

I don't THINK so.....

Sepiatone

Not me. I've been dressing basically the same way for 40 years. Some of the same items, too.

Not me. I've been dressing basically the same way for 40 years. Some of the same items, too.

Yeah it's kind of weird when your t-shirts have a date "1984" on them and you realizer they're 30 years old!

Sweatpants, huh? Also known as Philadelphia chic.

Every time I'm in Philly I marvel that goofy pj's and "under-the-butt" low pants are non-existant. I can't believe they're still doing it here.