Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Name of Cold War era movie with spy at lake

TonyC

Hey everyone, Help!- Trying to remember the name of the cold war era movie in which an older foreign spy or counter-spy traitor tries to elude authorities and hide out incognito as a fisherman complete with red flannel hunting jacket at a lake, (poconos or upper New York State) and visits the bait shop where he runs into a young boy who eventually figures him out and, I think, helps alert a g-man on the hunt.  May not have this all correct nor complete.  I thought I saw it on TCM or then AMC.  Anyone who thinks they remember this one, please respond.  Thanks, Tony

This isn't exactly what you were looking for, but it looks like a potential candidate:

The Whip Hand (1951)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044209/

Matt Corbin, a vacationing magazine writer, takes a fishing trip to Minnesota, and stumbles across a lake, near a ghost-town, where all the fish have mysteriously died. None of the locals care to talk about it but he learns that a group of former-Nazi's-turned-communist have purchased a lodge on an island, in the middle of the fish-killing lake, and have built some kind of laboratory. Never one to pass up a chance to sell a story to a magazine, Matt decides to investigate. His only ally is Janet Keller, the sister of the local doctor who has been caught up into whatever those Commie-Nazis are up to out there in their laboratory on an island lake. What they are up to, with Soviet financing, is the development of diseases to use in bacteriological warfare against the United States of America, starting in Minnesota.

I don't know the movie, but I would think that a communist spy would not be wearing anything red while hiding out.

Rich, in THE WHIP HAND, he was a Nazi Communist, in the 1950s. Anyway, the film was in Black and White. I saw it on TCM. Oh... he had no whip. There was no whip in the movie.

Uh, Yeah- reds- I get it-- maybe he was trying the hide in plain sight thing, I guess.  No, the Whip hand is not it, either, but thanks.  And it could have even been in black and white and the jacket was just plaid, not sure.  Maybe his crime was something else altogether and that was just the way I am remembering it.  Thanks, anyone else with any ideas?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings