Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Brian Williams

NipkowDisc

lies about something that he knew was untrue for 10 YEARS until finally called out about it by military personnel who knew...

and this is a person millions of trusting americans depend upon every night of the week for unvarnished news reporting...

Remarkable. :)

I did not have the slightest inkling of what you were talking about in your posting until I googled the said Brian Williams.  What a liar indeed.  There is however no such thing as "unvarnished news reporting" and never has been.  Everything in print or statement or picture no matter what the source is should always be taken with a grain of salt ESPECIALLY what is said in movies and film claiming insight of supposed historical import.  Williams joins a long list of embellishing celebs and "reporters" and politicians.  I am guilty too as I am always telling people my wife and I meet that I was 6' 5" tall when we got married but my wife beat me down to size in short order (5' 8"). 

I did not have the slightest inkling of what you were talking about in your posting until I googled the said Brian Williams.  What a liar indeed.  There is however no such thing as "unvarnished news reporting" and never has been.  Everything in print or statement or picture no matter what the source is should always be taken with a grain of salt ESPECIALLY what is said in movies and film claiming insight of supposed historical import.  Williams joins a long list of embellishing celebs and "reporters" and politicians.  I am guilty too as I am always telling people my wife and I meet that I was 6' 5" tall when we got married but my wife beat me down to size in short order (5' 8"). 

NO way he can survive this.

No way he should as he repeated the lies over and over again.  Williams should resign immediately and would if he had any personal honor. 

that's exactly right. he should resign. I mean what more does the guy want? ain't it enough that NBC bent over backwards and featured his minimally talented daughter in a primetime 2-hour live presentation?

now the guy's been shown up to be a liar.

that's real nice for somebody who we have trusted to report the news to us accurately.

give it to Lester Holt. he's a good guy.

NBC wants to keep him on? okay. but just how much affirmation is Williams supposed to put into his delivery asserting the accuracy and integrity of whatever he reports? :D

No way he should as he repeated the lies over and over again.  Williams should resign immediately and would if he had any personal honor. 

Credibility is the most important quality of a news anchor. Walter Cronkite was the most trusted man in the U.S. There's no way he regains sufficient credibility to hold on to his post.

lies about something that he knew was untrue for 10 YEARS until finally called out about it by military personnel who knew...

and this is a person millions of trusting americans depend upon every night of the week for unvarnished news reporting...

Remarkable. :)

One simple guideline every reporter and news anchor should follow.  It's a no brainer - not rocket science (directed towards news media)....

Jack-Webb.jpg

Where is John Cameron Swayze when we need him?  I actually prefer news anchors who stick to sitting behind the desk, reading the news, and not going "on location." I know some of the greats -- Cronkite, Severeid -- had long careers in the field before settling down to desk work, but they were special. But once they're behind that desk, I don't want to see them anywhere else!

Where is John Cameron Swayze when we need him?  I actually prefer news anchors who stick to sitting behind the desk, reading the news, and not going "on location." I know some of the greats -- Cronkite, Severeid -- had long careers in the field before settling down to desk work, but they were special. But once they're behind that desk, I don't want to see them anywhere else!

Want the old style non bias news....

logo-aljazeera-america.jpg

src.adapt.480.low.jpg

al-jazeera-america-office.jpg

• Like 1

I understand that Swayze didn't even own a pair of pants.

• Like 2

I never really cared for him (though I do watch him as I care less about the competition), but so stupid to to make up something like that and ruin your career over some stupid lie to make yourself look good. I guess when you start believing your publicity...........seemed so full of himself. Wont be any more.

I am sorry to say that I do not understand how this is major issue.

I believe that: news is reporting of: what, who, when and where. All other things which are said are opinion or propaganda. It is easy to separate these elements because facts are obvious and no analysis is required..

I listened to BBC News from early years until of recent when they changed into sociopolitical mouthpiece. It was the very best because they stated facts and then gave interpretations and explanations only to extent that people in other countries or of other cultures could understand context of events. I feel it is great loss to world that they lost objectivity.

I do not watch any network news except that I will at times turn to Fox News to see if there is important matter at hand. To see that it is talking heads or commercial means that there is no important news and I can with safety turn channel back. I chose Fox News because I found other channels will not preempt commercials during important events and between commercials they place much greater emphasis on presenting their political or social beliefs than on simple reporting of facts.

It is my observation that most people do not realize that news reporting in this age is little news and that majority is opinion and analysis. It is inane to label an opinion or analysis a lie solely because it conflicts with opinion of or analysis by others.

It is my observation also that most people do not realize how news services warp public opinion by careful selection of items to air.

How many here have heard of: Debaltseve where Russian military officers in civilian clothing led attacks which killed hundreds of innocent civilians?

How many here have heard of: Donetsk where Russia-supplied weapons were used to shell hospital and kill civilians?

How many here have heard of: Mariupol where Russian military officers in disguise lead paid fighters armed with Russia-supplied weapons in hopes of destroying important route for food and medicine needed by civilians?

This should be very important war to all because it will determine whether Russia will be able to expand it's use of terrorism and subversion to conquer other sovereign nations. It has been suggested by experts that fall of Ukraine will quickly lead to Poland, Slovakia or Romania being next in Russia's annexation plans and that it is possible that Germany might become target within ten years.

Does America wish to face war in Europe again?

That majority of American news sources report little of it speaks to their subservience to current administration which does not wish its policy of appeasement called into question.

It is my opinion that revelation that liberal was self-aggrandizing liar does not qualify as news sufficiently to warrant air time which could be used to report truly important issues. 

I have used Ukraine as example of a thing of which American public knows little because common news sources here report little of it. There are many other such issues and it is possible that some will have greater or more immediate consequences to Americans. I hope that all here will understand why this one is of particular interest to me and so is uppermost in my mind and so will indulge me.

• Like 1

I am sorry to say that I do not understand how this is major issue.

I believe that: news is reporting of: what, who, when and where. All other things which are said are opinion or propaganda. It is easy to separate these elements because facts are obvious and no analysis is required..

I listened to BBC News from early years until of recent when they changed into sociopolitical mouthpiece. It was the very best because they stated facts and then gave interpretations and explanations only to extent that people in other countries or of other cultures could understand context of events. I feel it is great loss to world that they lost objectivity.

I do not watch any network news except that I will at times turn to Fox News to see if there is important matter at hand. To see that it is talking heads or commercial means that there is no important news and I can with safety turn channel back. I chose Fox News because I found other channels will not preempt commercials during important events and between commercials they place much greater emphasis on presenting their political or social beliefs than on simple reporting of facts.

It is my observation that most people do not realize that news reporting in this age is little news and that majority is opinion and analysis. It is inane to label an opinion or analysis a lie solely because it conflicts with opinion of or analysis by others.

It is my observation also that most people do not realize how news services warp public opinion by careful selection of items to air.

How many here have heard of: Debaltseve where Russian military officers in civilian clothing led attacks which killed hundreds of innocent civilians?

How many here have heard of: Donetsk where Russia-supplied weapons were used to shell hospital and kill civilians?

How many here have heard of: Mariupol where Russian military officers in disguise lead paid fighters armed with Russia-supplied weapons in hopes of destroying important route for food and medicine needed by civilians?

This should be very important war to all because it will determine whether Russia will be able to expand it's use of terrorism and subversion to conquer other sovereign nations. It has been suggested by experts that fall of Ukraine will quickly lead to Poland, Slovakia or Romania being next in Russia's annexation plans and that it is possible that Germany might become target within ten years.

Does America wish to face war in Europe again?

That majority of American news sources report little of it speaks to their subservience to current administration which does not wish its policy of appeasement called into question.

It is my opinion that revelation that liberal was self-aggrandizing liar does not qualify as news sufficiently to warrant air time which could be used to report truly important issues. 

I have used Ukraine as example of a thing of which American public knows little because common news sources here report little of it. There are many other such issues and it is possible that some will have greater or more immediate consequences to Americans. I hope that all here will understand why this one is of particular interest to me and so is uppermost in my mind and so will indulge me.

Fox News is the network making the biggest deal out of the Brian Williams story.   This is because Fox and NBC have been feuding for years now. 

So any dirt one network can get on the other is major news by default.

My main source for news is The Economist.   They cover world news fairly well.   But one can't expect US T.V. news broadcast to go into depth about world events.    There just isn't the market for such news by most US TV viewers. 

I never really cared for him (though I do watch him as I care less about the competition), but so stupid to to make up something like that and ruin your career over some stupid lie to make yourself look good. I guess when you start believing your publicity...........seemed so full of himself. Wont be any more.

Network news anchors are nowhere near the public figures that they were in the days of Cronkite and Huntley and Brinkley. There are so many more competing sources of information. Many people have likely never watched Brian Williams.