Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Best War Movies for each War

What movie (not documentary) do you feel best depicts each of the following conflicts from U.S. history? You can list multiple films for each conflict if you wish, especially if they had many fronts (i.e. the European, African & Pacific campaigns in WWII). Foreign films are acceptable as well. And feel free to add any films for "smaller" conflicts from U.S. history if you can think of any exemplary ones.

French-Indian War

American Revolution

War of 1812

Mexican-American War

American Civil War

Spanish-American War

WWI

WWII

Korean War

Vietnam War

First Gulf War

Second Gulf War

• Like 1

What movie (not documentary) do you feel best depicts each of the following conflicts from U.S. history? You can list multiple films for each conflict if you wish, especially if they had many fronts (i.e. the European, African & Pacific campaigns in WWII). Foreign films are acceptable as well. And feel free to add any films for "smaller" conflicts from U.S. history if you can think of any exemplary ones.

French-Indian War

American Revolution

War of 1812

Mexican-American War

American Civil War

Spanish-American War

WWI

WWII

Korean War

Vietnam War

First Gulf War

Second Gulf War

american revolution - drums along the mohawk

american civil war - the horse soldiers

WWI - the fighting 69th

WWII - sands of iwo jima

korean war - porkchop hill (Peck)

vietnam war - full metal jacket

second gulf war - american sniper :D

I do not know if these movies concerning World War II meet your intent:

Ivan's Childhood (1962) is very powerful movie of a boy's participation. 

Leningrad (2009) is of pivotal battle.

The Cranes are Flying (1957) is of the losses of war which are not represented by statistics.

These movies are very powerful depictions of personal side of war. They are not of strategy and tactics nor of arms and armor. They are of people fighting what war has done to their life. They show that not all casualties are buried.

I question if these will be helpful for your purpose because I have read that America participated in World War II but these movies do not focus on that involvement.

I don't really have any purpose, just trying to generate discussion. I watched Ivans Childhood just last week and was truly impressed with the cinematography.

This topic came to me today as I was watching The Hook (1963). I was trying to think of a definitive Korean War film. I've seen several, like Pork Chop Hill, Steel Helmets, Tae Guk Gi, etc. But none them truly wowed me.

French-Indian War - Northwest Passage, Last of the Mohicans

American Revolution - The Scarlet Coat, Drums Along The Mohawk, John Paul Jones 

War of 1812 - The Bucaneer

Mexican-American War - ?

American Civil War - The Horse Soldiers

Spanish-American War - Santiago

WWI - Hell's Angels, A Farewell To Arms, Paths Of Glory, The Blue Max, Joyeux Noel, A Very Long Engagement

WWII - The Bridge At Remagen, King Rat, The Train, The Americanization Of Emily

Korean War - Steel Helmet, Battle Taxi, Pork Chop Hill

Vietnam War - The Lost Command, Apocalypse Now

I probably  haven't seen more than a few dozen war movies, but here are the ones that ring the truest to me.  The first 3 would probably  be in my top 10 list of all time movies in any subject. Unfortunately TCM has only shown about half of them, and only Kapo among the top 3.

The Human Condition (a trilogy)

Come and See

Kapo

Katyn

Army of Shadows

Letters From Iwo Jima

Open City / Paisan / Germany: Year Zero (Rossellini's war trilogy)

A Woman in Berlin

The Cranes Are Flying

The Steel Helmet

Paths of Glory

Days of Glory (2006)

Sophie Scholl

Stalingrad

One's not mentioned....

"Sergeant York" (1941) and "Lawrence of Arabia" (1962) for WWI

"The Longest Day" (1962) for WWII

Not our war but the movie "Breaker Morant" (1980) deals with the 2nd Boer War (1899-1902). The war is part of the plot in "The Little Princess" (changed it to WWI for the remake)  Like to mention this conflict to today's college students just to see the dazed look on their face...what?? a war on pigs??

breakermorantposter.jpg

WW2:  THE CROSS OF IRON (1977), TWELVE O'CLOCK HIGH (1949), RUN SILENT, RUN DEEP (1958), STALAG 17 (1959), STALINGRAD (1993), SINK THE BISMARCK (1960), THE DESERT FOX (1951)

The Cold War: THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER (1990), THE BEDFORD INCIDENT (1965),  FAIL-SAFE (1964),  SEVEN DAYS IN MAY (1964), ON THE BEACH (1959)

There is no best for each war in my opinion.  The primary purpose of a non-documentary movie is to make money and then to tell a story based on the writer's, producer's and director's concept of what they wish to say.

However, I do like Go Tell the Spartans for Vietnam.

The Horse Soldiers is definitely NOT an accurate portrayal of the Civil War.  In fact, it is usually classified as a Western.  I like it, but it is a typical entertaining John Wayne movie, not an accurate portrayal of history.

I do like Full Metal Jacket and Platoon for Vietnam, but Apocolypse Now is just confusing BS.

Most WW  II movies were mostly propoganda.  Most new ones are as well.

Best movie for Persian Gulf War (often erroneously referred to as First Gulf War) and the Irag War have not been made yet.

WW2:  THE CROSS OF IRON (1977), TWELVE O'CLOCK HIGH (1949), RUN SILENT, RUN DEEP (1958), STALAG 17 (1959), STALINGRAD (1993), SINK THE BISMARCK (1960), THE DESERT FOX (1951)

The Cold War: THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER (1990), THE BEDFORD INCIDENT (1965),  FAIL-SAFE (1964),  SEVEN DAYS IN MAY (1964), ON THE BEACH (1959)

About the Cold War, are there any factual based films?

About the Cold War, are there any factual based films?

Possibly TINKER, TAILOR, SOLDIER, SPY (2011) which is somewhat factually based on the search for the legendary Cambridge Five spy ring.  A good movie in my estimation. 

Well I just have to put in my 2cents!!!

World War I:

Gallipoli

World War II

In Which We Serve

Twelve O'clock High

GI Joe

Sahara

The Best Years of Our Lives

Korea

The Bridges of Toko Ri

MASH

Vietnam: Apocalypse Now

Cold War: Dr. Strangelove

WWI---

ALL QUIET ON HE WESTERN FRONT

WINGS

WWII---

RUN SILENT, RUN DEEP

BATAAN

HELL IS FOR HEROES

SANDS OF IWO JIMA

TORA! TORA! TORA!

30 SECONDS OVER TOKYO

SINK THE BISMARK

THE LONGEST DAY/SAVING PRIVATE RYAN

STALAG 17

WILLIE AND JOE AT THE FRONT

There was one with Mickey Rooney and Wendell Corey called THE BRAVE AND THE DAMNED, but I'm NOT sure that's the correct title!

CIVIL WAR--

RED BADGE OF COURAGE

GLORY

KOREAN--

PORK CHOP HILL

AW, MAN!  There was one with Robert Mitchum, and Mickey Rooney I can't recall the name of!

I also thing Mitch and ROBERT WAGNER made a KOrean war flick.  Maybe, it's the SAME ONE with ROONEY, TOO!?

Viet Nam--

THE GREEN BERETS

HAMBURGER HILL

FULL METAL JACKET

PLATOON

CASULTIES  OF WAR

The "war" on crime---

THE PUBLIC ENEMY

THE ROARING TWENTIES

SCAREFACE( both of them!)

THE GODFATHER( 1 & 2!)

THE VALACHI PAPERS

THE SUGARLAND EXPRESS

The "war" on DRUGS---

THE FRENCH CONNECTION

PANIC IN NEEDLE PARK

BLOW

(hee-hee!) UP IN SMOKE

Haven't seen anything about DESERT STORM or IRAQ, not saying there ISN'T, just that I haven't SEEN them!

Sepiatone

I don't really have any purpose, just trying to generate discussion. I watched Ivans Childhood just last week and was truly impressed with the cinematography.

This topic came to me today as I was watching The Hook (1963). I was trying to think of a definitive Korean War film. I've seen several, like Pork Chop Hill, Steel Helmets, Tae Guk Gi, etc. But none them truly wowed me.

I find: Ivan's Childhood (1962) to be impressive in many ways. It is perhaps my favorite movie by: Andrei Tarkovsky.

I apologize that it is off-topic from your original request but I wish to take moment to recommend two movies:

Two Comrades were Serving (1968)

The Forty-First (1956)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMmwgEwsPd8&feature=youtu.be

I find them to be very powerful movies speaking of complexities of war and service. I am sorry to say that I find in general that Hollywood movies of war are simplistic and plain. It is for me that they do not capture soul of people in battle.

• Like 1

Korea

The Bridges of Toko Ri

MASH

I was nearly sad when I saw your post because it had come to my mind to speak of: M*A*S*H (1970) and I did believe that I might be first to mention it. I love this movie very much because it shows all sides of characters and how they cope and what truly affects them.

French-Indian War = Unconquered  

American Revolution = George Washington TV Mini Series with Barry Bostwick & Patty Duke

War of 1812 = The Buccaneer

American Civil War = Gone with the Wind & Gods and Generals (Deo Vindice)

WWI = Sgt. York & Dr. Zhivago (depiction of war on the Eastern Front)

WWII = Patton, Destination Tokyo, Tora! Tora! Tora!, Sands of Iwo Jima, Empire of the Sun & Casablanca to name a few.

Korean War = Pork Chop Hill & MacArthur

Vietnam War = Green Berets & We Were Soldiers

2nd Gulf War = American Sniper

Glad you liked it. I made the model of Ft. Duquense that was used in the production here is a birds eye view of it:

Well, Mr. cigarjoe, you never know who is in your midst. You have quite a talent there. Quite an accomplishment to be involved in that TV mini-series. I've always found it interesting that no major studio ever made a movie devoted to George Washington's life that I know of. The George Washington TV mini-series is the best I've ever seen. And gets most of the history right. I own the DVD. Have a great weekend.

Glad you liked it. I made the model of Ft. Duquense that was used in the production here is a birds eye view of it:

bbhcFt.D_zpsut10rg7w.jpg

The genius design of those old fortifications in that anyone attacking it would be forced into multiple choke points and field of fire.

OOPS!  MY BAD!!!

Those Korean war movies I was thinking of ----well, ONE of them, I mistakenly posted that one starred both Robert Mitchum and MiCKEY ROONEY!

Of course, I MEANT the earlier posted "BRIDGES OF TOKO-RI With Mickey Rooney and BILL HOLDEN!  NOT Robert Mitchum!

And the OTHER one WAS with Mitchum and Wagner, and was

THE HUNTERS(1958)

And, that WWII movie with MICKEY ROONEY and WENDELL COREY may have been THE BOLD AND THE BRAVE

But for SOME reason, I recall(when first seeing it when very young on TV one night) that the TV announcer called it:

"THE BRAVE AND THE DAMNED"  because I remember thinking it strange to hear somebody CUSS on TV like that!

Anyway, the thing I remember most about it was---

MICKEY ROONEY stuffing all kinds of cash in his shirt and getting shot, and WENDELL COREY going "one-on-one" with a panzer, and WINNING!

Also, it COULD have been another case of "Movies with two different titles",  like how the KIRK DOUGLAS movie ACE IN THE HOLE was for YEARS shown on the late shows on TV as THE BIG CARNIVAL----and even had OPENING CREDITS with that title emblazoned on them!

Sepiatone

How can we leave out The Dawn Patrol for WWI?  This war has been so romanticized that we forget that it introduced gas warfare to the world as my grandfather could attest to.  It shows the anguish that c/os go through when they must send men into combat knowing some will not return alive.  This was "the war to end all wars" and it's ironic that when the movie was released in 1937 the world was already gearing up for the even more horrible sequel. 

Also Go or Broke needs to be mentioned for WWII. That these young Japanese-American men were willing to fight for our side despite what was being done to their "relocated" families here and having to battle relatives in the "old country" is amazing.  I remember a newsreel where after Pearl Harbor some in California are holding a sign saying 'We are patriotic Americans; 14% of us are in the service" .  It was  like the Blacks who had to fight one war to get into the real one and show what they could do when they could have stayed home and let everyone else do it.  It there's anything good about war, this kind of courage and pride must be a part.