Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

1001 Movies to See Before You Die

LawrenceA

Has anyone else tasked themselves with watching all the film's listed in these books? I started about 8 years ago, adding the new titles added with each new edition. I have seen approx. 2/3rds so far, taping new titles when they're shown on one of the various movie channels or buying dvds or vhs tapes when I run across them. There are also several available via YouTube which is nice, especially for the short films.

I was well versed on the American films and genre films before I started, but the books have really pointed me toward the best in foreign and art house films that otherwise may have gone unnoticed.

There are only 2 silents on the list left for me to see: Napolean '27 and The Docks of New York '28.

3 left from the 30's: La Chienne '31, Land without Bread '33 and The Bakers Wife '38.

And only one left from the 40's: The Man in the Grey Suit '43

After the 40's though the number unseen grows much larger, mainly foreign films from the 60's through the 80's.

• Like 1

Has anyone else tasked themselves with watching all the film's listed in these books? I started about 8 years ago, adding the new titles added with each new edition. I have seen approx. 2/3rds so far, taping new titles when they're shown on one of the various movie channels or buying dvds or vhs tapes when I run across them. There are also several available via YouTube which is nice, especially for the short films.

I was well versed on the American films and genre films before I started, but the books have really pointed me toward the best in foreign and art house films that otherwise may have gone unnoticed.

There are only 2 silents on the list left for me to see: Napolean '27 and The Docks of New York '28.

3 left from the 30's: La Chienne '31, Land without Bread '33 and The Bakers Wife '38.

After the 40's though the number unseen grows much larger, mainly foreign films from the 60's through the 80's.

*** 1001 MOVIES TO SEE BEFORE YOU DIE ***

If I had a Bucket list, it won't include watching movies.

Several years ago, my uncle gave me a book called 501 Movies to See Before You Die (or something like that). I made it a point to see as many as possible because he got such a kick out of hearing how many I was up to! (Incidently, I was on about 421 when he died. I will likely finish in his memory :) )

• Like 1

This is a very worthy cause you have taken upon yourself. If anything, it will be and has been a history lesson of viewing many movies that probably would have gone unseen by you. There are plenty of movie books out there that explore which films are the best, most and least appreciated, movies for men, movies for women, kid's movies, and so on. Then as it is here on the message boards under the Genre Forum you have separate categories for all of the film genre's. Have you visited any of those genre forum's?

Lots of discussions on each about a myriad of subjects for each category. You should check them out, there are really a lot of great discussions there.

But it does sound as if you have seen quite a few films and have enjoyed them as well. Good for you.

Many of us here on the message boards have our own video libraries where we can access favorites at anytime. My library used to be well over 1,000 films but last summer I decided to sell three volumes of 100 titled film collections. Never had enough time to watch them all. So I sold them to other interested parties. Hopefully they will get a kick out of seeing them.

Since I am out of work right now I have placed a moratorium on my purchasing ANY movie to add to my collection, at least until I am gainfully employed again. When I first started collecting back in the 1980's obviously I collected VHS movies. And almost all of the films I purchased were high quality releases. And then the DVD revolution happened and I started to purchase DVD's. I still have about 200 VHS tapes, both bought new and then taped off of movie channels.

At one time I had well over 800 VHS tapes. Almost all of them have been replaced by DVD's. But I have decided that in the future most of my purchases will be of the titles I still have on VHS. After that I can then add other more worthwhile films to my collection. It has been fun and at times frustrating.

You should check out my LISTS thread and FrankGrimes Torture thread over on the Favorites Forum. You will find pages upon pages of lists created by many people and on FrankGrimes thread many lists followed by detailed and elaborate discussions. You may be able to find some unseen gems there as well to add to your movie watching pleasure.

Good luck with your continued movie schedule and welcome to the boards!

Fxreyman

I'll accept having that much TIME left for ANYTHING! (considering each movie runs an average of two hours, how MANY hurs is THAT?  2002 hours?  

Or, just HOW much time, allowing for 8 hours of sleep each night, IS that?

Sepiatone

Several years ago, my uncle gave me a book called 501 Movies to See Before You Die (or something like that). I made it a point to see as many as possible because he got such a kick out of hearing how many I was up to! (Incidently, I was on about 421 when he died. I will likely finish in his memory :) )

Great story tracey!  

I think 501, though, or even 1001, is just a microscopic tip of the proverbial iceberg. 

In 1928 alone, there were 219 films produced in Hollywood (and we're not counting international films). In the 1930s, studios were turning a lot more than that. So you can see that if you limited yourself to just a thousand films you would only cover a five year period of every film produced by Hollywood. Out of decades of Hollywood films.

To be realistic, I don't even think 10,001 films would cover a sizable chunk of films made by studios during the golden age of Hollywood.

I'll accept having that much TIME left for ANYTHING! (considering each movie runs an average of two hours, how MANY hurs is THAT?  2002 hours?  

Or, just HOW much time, allowing for 8 hours of sleep each night, IS that?

Sepiatone

I've found the average movie runtime to be about 100 minutes. There are many short films (less than an hour) on the list, but a few 3+ hour epics too. I have talked to some people that have seen them all, and they were all younger than me. One guy was under 30 I would bet. Some people have more time on their hands and different priorities.

I have seen this book, and I have been systematically watching the movies on it.  When I first saw it in 2005 or 2006 I'd only seen a quarter of them.  There was a website called listsofbests.com where you could systematically check off lists of things you wanted to go through.  Before the website ended last year, I had managed to see more than 90% of the movies.

I think about seven or eight years ago, I had an idea I was going to watch every film in what was then the newest edition of the series. I dutifully made my way through all those D.W. Griffith films and the foreign silents (be warned: LES VAMPIRES was serialized; the whole thing is like 10 hours long). I hit a roadblock with WITHIN OUR GATES. I just couldn't find it anywhere. I put it on the Suggested Titles list at my local video store, and eight years later, they still haven't followed my suggestion. Since then, it has aired on TCM at least twice that I noticed, but both times were like 2 a.m., and I didn't stay up for it. I never resumed my chronological viewing of the list after that.

Anyway, it's a certainly a respectable list, both wide-reaching but also intentionally auteur-specific. Some might grouse there is too much focus on individual directors at the expense of other films. I think there are like 15 Hitchcock films, and the likes of Ford, Hawks, Huston, Wyler, Minelli, Godard, Bergman, Fellini, Bunuel and Scorsese are also well-represented.

My concern is they update the thing about every two or three years: there are a number of editions out there now. If they keep the number at 1,001 and add eight or twelve films for a new edition from the past two or three years, I always wonder what gets knocked out of the list from cinema's past. One should be cautious about what's being added to so iconic I list, I think. The most recent edition I own has ATONEMENT, for example, which I would call a three, maybe three-and-a-half star movie, but worthy of being on the list of the 1,000 must-be-watched movies of all time? Ditto releases like ARGO, THE KING'S SPEECH, THE QUEEN, THE READER and THE ARTIST. I think I sat down with two different editions one time and tried to figure that out but got distracted.

Actually, I generally think the earlier sections of the book are pretty set in stone. So, if you add 10 films from 2010 to now, the ones that get dropped I think are mostly post-1995 or so, ones that were added to recent editions and within just a few years are being revealed that they're maybe not going to stand the test of time after all.

OK, so it's clear nobody KNOWS how much time it would take.

SEWHITE, BOTH "Blockbuster" video stores, AND three others in my area have all CLOSED DOWN and went out of business Eight yeas ago, so, YOUR video outlet is doing OK!  Seeing as it seems they're STILL in business!

Sepiatone

Think of all the films on nitrate that died in the vaults in puffs of smoke.  I had a neighbor in Maine who had been collecting ancient films for years and would actually lend them to the AFI for copying, since they didn't have them.  He had a theatre in his house in another state, with popcorn machines and a box office.

I'm pretty selective so I'll never manage to do the list.  I don't want to.  There are movies I wouldn't go to for a million dollars hard cash.  I won't watch torture films or kidnapping films or wrong-man-convicted-by-the-lynch-mob films.  I go only for enjoyment, and I don't enjoy those.  My great love is Netflix, because it caters to my tastes so well. 

As for the TV series available, at the moment I'm watching "Grantchester" with James Norton as the vicar, on "Mystery!".  Good, interesting, no agony or deep thinking.  It's on tomorrow night.  My great problem is that I never forget anything, and once a movie has sunk into my brain it never leaves.  I'm still remembering horror movies I saw in my nonselective youth, before I caught on that I could choose and didn't have to see everything everyone else saw.  "Grantchester" is on PBS, I don't have to pay for it, and I don't have to drive 40 miles to a theater.  And I can pop my own popcorn in the microwave and it doesn't cost me a fortune.  So I'm a philistine.

I think about seven or eight years ago, I had an idea I was going to watch every film in what was then the newest edition of the series. I dutifully made my way through all those D.W. Griffith films and the foreign silents (be warned: LES VAMPIRES was serialized; the whole thing is like 10 hours long). I hit a roadblock with WITHIN OUR GATES. I just couldn't find it anywhere. I put it on the Suggested Titles list at my local video store, and eight years later, they still haven't followed my suggestion. Since then, it has aired on TCM at least twice that I noticed, but both times were like 2 a.m., and I didn't stay up for it. I never resumed my chronological viewing of the list after that.

Anyway, it's a certainly a respectable list, both wide-reaching but also intentionally auteur-specific. Some might grouse there is too much focus on individual directors at the expense of other films. I think there are like 15 Hitchcock films, and the likes of Ford, Hawks, Huston, Wyler, Minelli, Godard, Bergman, Fellini, Bunuel and Scorsese are also well-represented.

My concern is they update the thing about every two or three years: there are a number of editions out there now. If they keep the number at 1,001 and add eight or twelve films for a new edition from the past two or three years, I always wonder what gets knocked out of the list from cinema's past. One should be cautious about what's being added to so iconic I list, I think. The most recent edition I own has ATONEMENT, for example, which I would call a three, maybe three-and-a-half star movie, but worthy of being on the list of the 1,000 must-be-watched movies of all time? Ditto releases like ARGO, THE KING'S SPEECH, THE QUEEN, THE READER and THE ARTIST. I think I sat down with two different editions one time and tried to figure that out but got distracted.

Actually, I generally think the earlier sections of the book are pretty set in stone. So, if you add 10 films from 2010 to now, the ones that get dropped I think are mostly post-1995 or so, ones that were added to recent editions and within just a few years are being revealed that they're maybe not going to stand the test of time after all.

There are websites that list additions from all of the subsequent editions. I keep that as a printout in the book. All told, there's an additional 161 titles. Usually they are from the recent years, but the last new edition added several from throughout the decades.

This thread did get me thinking about how many movies I have seen in my life.   I really have no idea,  but if I had seen a unique movie every 2 weeks,  in the last 30 years that is 780 movies.   So I might be near 1000 for a lifetime.

A few years ago I decided to rate all the movies I've seen on imdb, using my written lists as a reference. As of this evening after watching "Soldier in the Rain", my total is up to 11,923!

I think its  good because you get to see a wide range of films this way. I figure if I watch 5 a week, that's 250. If I watch 250 films a year, I would get to that 1,000 in just four years.

Problem is, I like a lot of b movies, spaghetti westerns, shlocky type of stuff. Anything that tries to break rules because I hate censorship. And I guarantee those films are not on any list !

And most slavery/concentration camp type stuff I will never see. I like to be entertained  by films. Taken to another place and time. A fantasy that can't come true but, is fun to think about for 90 mins.

I use those lists as a guide. I started with AFI's 100. Then I'll get to some others. I do like lists though.

Problem is, I like a lot of b movies, spaghetti westerns, shlocky type of stuff. Anything that tries to break rules because I hate censorship. And I guarantee those films are not on any list !

Yeah, something tells me 'I Spit On Your Grave' or 'Ilsa: She-Wolf of the SS' won't be on the list.

Yeah, something tells me 'I Spit On Your Grave' or 'Ilsa: She-Wolf of the SS' won't be on the list.

Sad to say,  Ilsa and others like her actually existed. She was called The **** of Buchenwald. Too bad the producers had to turn the topic into a sexploitation film

article-0-05E56B430000044D-248_468x356.j

Ilse-Koch.png