Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Big Question

NipkowDisc

with cable networks like MOVIES! picking up the slack should tcm be expected to expand their film coffer (only seems to be one) beyond the mgm library?

tonite..again...GWTW. :wub:

why can't they use a pleasure cruise to start a procurement fund? :lol:

What's the cable network MOVIES! about?

Is it a premium channel one has to pay extra to watch?

Are the movies broadcast uncut? Are there commercial interruptions during the films?

Are there onscreen identifications or advertisements during the movies?

Is there supportive programming around the movies - before or after comments or discussions, movie-related documentaries and such?

I'm just wondering if it's comparative to TCM to begin with.

• Like 1

It's not available around here, but from what I understand it's just another commercial-loaded movie channel that runs the same edited versions that other channels run.

So just another AMC?

Hardly seems worth talking about, let alone provoking any "big question".

So just another AMC?

Hardly seems worth talking about, let alone provoking any "big question".

One good thing MOVIES does is they don't edit to fit a time slot.   But yea,  lots of commercials and they do edit for content (but by blocking out the content instead of cutting out the content).      But since they broadcast over the air they censor content that even AMC doesn't censor. 

One good thing MOVIES does is they don't edit to fit a time slot.   But yea,  lots of commercials and they do edit for content (but by blocking out the content instead of cutting out the content).      But since they broadcast over the air they censor content that even AMC doesn't censor. 

Which begs the question - why would I care what they show?

It's not a station I would ever watch. I get AMC in my cable package and don't ever watch any movies on it.

What's the cable network MOVIES! about?

Is it a premium channel one has to pay extra to watch?

Are the movies broadcast uncut? Are there commercial interruptions during the films?

Are there onscreen identifications or advertisements during the movies?

Is there supportive programming around the movies - before or after comments or discussions, movie-related documentaries and such?

I'm just wondering if it's comparative to TCM to begin with.

No it's not a premium channel. It does show many Fox films that aren't seen very often. An example is LUCY GALLANT. It was on MOVIES last week, and hasn't been seen on basic tv stations in many years.  I'm in the middle of a battle with Comcast about the Movies station. Some fool programmed the guide incorrectly so that it says it's only braodcast in HD. Not so. Older cable boxes are unable to overide what the idiot did when he programmed the guide incorrectly, so I haven't been able to access the station. It's a basic station that's shown in SD.

This has been an ongoing problem since Jan 1. Suppose to be fixed by tomorrow, let you know how worthwhile the station is.

No it's not a premium channel. It does show many Fox films that aren't seen very often. An example is LUCY GALLANT. It was on MOVIES last week, and hasn't been seen on basic tv stations in many years.  I'm in the middle of a battle with Comcast about the Movies station. Some fool programmed the guide incorrectly so that it says it's only braodcast in HD. Not so. Older cable boxes are unable to overide what the idiot did when he programmed the guide incorrectly, so I haven't been able to access the station. It's a basic station that's shown in SD.

This has been an ongoing problem since Jan 1. Suppose to be fixed by tomorrow, let you know how worthwhile the station is.

Thanks, lavender.

You're Welcome db :) It appears that Sat night- Night and The City, Boomarang and Johnny Allegro are on back to back. They seem to show some Mr Moto, Charlie Chan movies during the week-end during the day and noirs at night on Sat. I see that The Burglar is on the schedule and some more really good noirs.The schedule looks like a mixed bag, noirs, westerns, dramas, etc. There are 1970 and 1980's 1990's films on the schedule. Many of the films on their schedule are seen on TCM and of course no comparision to TCM since MOVIES has commercials. We'll see if it was worth all the fuss and aggreviation I went thru since Jan 1 to get the station. No matter what, TCM is still the primo station for classic films

After reading this thread, I checked my channel lineup. I do get "Movies," though it seems to be called WNYWDT2 on my onscreen channel guide. But the movies match the Movies! website.

Not terribly impressive at first glance, lots of commercials, movies that seem to have been on recently. Lots of Shirley Temple next week, so I guess it may be a bit Fox-heavy. Leadbelly (1976) is on now. Who said there are no 70s movies on television?

Come Back to the 5&Dime Jimmy Dean is being advertised, but it doesn't say when it will be on.

Edit: Their website says it will be on February 15, 16, and 20.

Which begs the question - why would I care what they show?

It's not a station I would ever watch. I get AMC in my cable package and don't ever watch any movies on it.

Well the only reason I watch MOVIES is because they do show movies no other station I receive from my cable service shows.

If MOVIES was to show 70s movies you like, that other stations are not showing,  would you watch MOVIES?  

So to me it is a trade off; I'm seeing a movie I want to see,  but with a compromised viewing experience.    But sometimes, when I see content blocked out or I'm watching commercials,  I find myself saying that there must be a better option. 

If MOVIES was to show 70s movies you like, that other stations are not showing,  would you watch MOVIES?  

No.

I don't watch AMC, so I can't imagine I'd watch MOVIES! either.

I'll just keep searching for the unedited versions on dvd, on TCM, online.

There was yet another channel, don't know if it was mentioned yet, called Epix Drive In, or EPXDVN I think.  It was turned on for free during one weekend, back when we had cable, and they played some fun 70s movies.  Now I don't even have the option to get it since I have Directv.  Not worth keeping the cable over that though, in my opinion.

There was yet another channel, don't know if it was mentioned yet, called Epix Drive In, or EPXDVN I think.  It was turned on for free during one weekend, back when we had cable, and they played some fun 70s movies.  Now I don't even have the option to get it since I have Directv.  Not worth keeping the cable over that though, in my opinion.

I now get 'Get-TV' and I find myself watching that from time to time.   Last night I saw Lone Wolf Spy Hunt with Warren William, Ida Lupino, Rita Hayworth, and Ginny Weidler.     Funny and entertaining movie.   This was 1939 and Rita wasn't Rita yet, so she didn't have a lot to do.    The banter between William and Lupino was great and how Lupino didn't like the Rita character (one doesn't have to guess why!).

Before that I saw The Lady and the Mob.   This also had Lupino and was made in 1939 (they were featuring her this night).   Only an OK movie but it was fun to see the great character actor Fay Banter playing silly and having a lot of fun.     These were Columbia films made before Lupino went to Warners and became a star. 

Yea, the commercial breaks are a drag.    Since there were some NBA games on, when Get-TV goes to a break I switch to those games.    But that is a hassle.

my real point is why is it such an impossibility for tcm to get a hold of some more movies?

I mean are we to be beaten over the head with GWTW, Lawrence of Arabia, Doctor Zhivago, 2001 and Ice Station Zebra forever???

Anthony Quinn is SOTM in april. are we to be beaten over the head with all the familiar fare like Barrabas, The Guns of Navarone, Zorba the Greek and maybe even Requiem for a Heavyweight?

What about Carlo Ponti's vintage peplum Attila from 1954 with a young and piping hot Sophia Loren in her ancient babe attire and regalia. who wouldn't wanna see that?

what about the oft-mentioned, by me, Hot Spell from 1958? ten years ago tcm was showing regularly.

what's the story with that film? the distributor ask for their print back and tcm hasn't been able to get it since? :huh:

2uiu2vk.jpg

my real point is why is it such an impossibility for tcm to get a hold of some more movies?

I mean are we to be beaten over the head with GWTW, Lawrence of Arabia, Doctor Zhivago, 2001 and Ice Station Zebra forever???

Anthony Quinn is SOTM in april. are we to be beaten over the head with all the familiar fare like Barrabas, The Guns of Navarone, Zorba the Greek and maybe even Requiem for a Heavyweight?

What about Carlo Ponti's vintage peplum Attila from 1954 with a young and piping hot Sophia Loen in her ancient babe attire and regalia. who wouldn't wanna see that?

what about the oft-mentioned, by me, Hot Spell from 1958? ten years ago tcm was showing regularly.

what's the story with that film? the distributor ask for their print back and tcm hasn't been able to get it since? :huh:

Come on,  you know the answers,  you just refuse to accept them.

Either the studio that has the rights to the films has already leased them under an exclusive leasing agreement  OR

The studio has its own network or affiliates and leasing to TCM would just allow competition with their own network \ affiliate  OR

The studio's price is 'unreasonable' for TCM to fit into their budget (because stations that have commercials can pay more).

YES;  If one wishes to say the last reason means TCM is too cheap,  hey, I get that and there is truth there.   But I wouldn't want the alterative to be TCM having commercials just so we get those films.

• Like 2

Come on,  you know the answers,  you just refuse to accept them.

Either the studio that has the rights to the films has already leased them under an exclusive leasing agreement  OR

The studio has its own network or affiliates and leasing to TCM would just allow competition with their own network \ affiliate  OR

The studio's price is 'unreasonable' for TCM to fit into their budget (because stations that have commercials can pay more).

YES;  If one wishes to say the last reason means TCM is too cheap,  hey, I get that and there is truth there.   But I wouldn't want the alterative to be TCM having commercials just so we get those films.

all I know is that they were showing it years ago and now they are not...

but if tcm were to show Hot Spell again, would it be introduced by osborne or manckiewicz as a tcm premiere?

I suppose considering all the years that have passed since they last shown it, in a very real sense it would be. :D

The  "big answer"  is that NO channel is ever going to have access to all films at any given point in time.  Films are owned by companies that control what is available and at what  price. In recent years we see more channels being created that show old films and/or television programming. Most of these channels are owned by (or closely affiliated to )  the companies that own the films. This is a situation that isn't going away, if anything it will get even more segregated. TCM is one of the very few channels that do not use commercial breaks to get revenue (except pay channels like Showtime or HBO) , although  in between films they promote some of their own product. TCM still shows the widest variety of films including many films (silent, foreign, old independent studios) that would never see the light of day on the other channels.   TCM may show NORTH BY NORTHWEST a dozen times in a year (that is probably a slight exaggeration) but watch other channels like MOVIES!. GET TV,  etc and you may see the same film a dozen times in a month.  For us viewers the only answer is to get access  to as many of these  stations as possible.  But that opens up other issues like what services (cable, satellite, etc) are available, what do they offer, and what do they charge (gouge) us to get those channels.

• Like 1

The  "big answer"  is that NO channel is ever going to have access to all films at any given point in time.  Films are owned by companies that control what is available and at what  price. In recent years we see more channels being created that show old films and/or television programming. Most of these channels are owned by (or closely affiliated to )  the companies that own the films. This is a situation that isn't going away, if anything it will get even more segregated. TCM is one of the very few channels that do not use commercial breaks to get revenue (except pay channels like Showtime or HBO) , although  in between films they promote some of their own product. TCM still shows the widest variety of films including many films (silent, foreign, old independent studios) that would never see the light of day on the other channels.   TCM may show NORTH BY NORTHWEST a dozen times in a year (that is probably a slight exaggeration) but watch other channels like MOVIES!. GET TV,  etc and you may see the same film a dozen times in a month.  For us viewers the only answer is to get access  to as many of these  stations as possible.  But that opens up other issues like what services (cable, satellite, etc) are available, what do they offer, and what do they charge (gouge) us to get those channels.

tcm has been showing their fixed catalog of films far too much and for far too long. it's a simple as that. at some point minor consideration for the afflicted oughta kick in. :)

No.

I don't watch AMC, so I can't imagine I'd watch MOVIES! either.

I'll just keep searching for the unedited versions on dvd, on TCM, online.

That's a good idea.  But actually, since both MOVIES and AMC have commercial breaks, to me, it seems the AMOUNT of commercials in each break is LESS on MOVIES than on AMC, and that makes the breaks shorter.  The only thing AMC seems to offer that MOVIES doesn't is their "genre" offerings, like "COWBOYS" on Saturday mornings(except yesterday) where there's usually a morning full of "Rifleman" episodes, followed by some western or other.  But MOVIES sometimes gets into a "subject" groove, like the nights they offered THE BUDDY HOLLY STORY followed by LA BAMBA. ( and let's not forget AMC's "original productions", such as MAD MEN, BREAKING BAD and WALKING DEAD, which WOULD be better when you get the season's box sets, with no commercials!)

I'll check in on them from time to time, and they don't ALWAYS have on something I'd like to see, but often they do...and they TOO have those films they'll show with some level of frequency...but....

I don't think we'll see NORTH BY NORTHWEST, LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, or CITIZEN KANE with the same amount of frequency as we see on TCM!

And TCM didn't INVENT the whole "frequency" thing.  For example, there WAS a stretch of years, mostly though the 1970's, when REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE could be seen quite OFTEN on local TV station's "Late, Late" shows!

Sepiatone

Afflicted, huh? And you get how many stations?

a lot but hey, it's mostly 1990s and 2000s sitcoms on most of the independent stations.

lets see, I got antenna tv, This, inspire, ME TV, of course and Cozi TV but no Get TV. I got one of the lower tier basic deals.

also have esquire tv as well as BBC America. :)

That's a good idea.  But actually, since both MOVIES and AMC have commercial breaks, to me, it seems the AMOUNT of commercials in each break is LESS on MOVIES than on AMC, and that makes the breaks shorter.  The only thing AMC seems to offer that MOVIES doesn't is their "genre" offerings, like "COWBOYS" on Saturday mornings(except yesterday) where there's usually a morning full of "Rifleman" episodes, followed by some western or other.  But MOVIES sometimes gets into a "subject" groove, like the nights they offered THE BUDDY HOLLY STORY followed by LA BAMBA. ( and let's not forget AMC's "original productions", such as MAD MEN, BREAKING BAD and WALKING DEAD, which WOULD be better when you get the season's box sets, with no commercials!)

I'll check in on them from time to time, and they don't ALWAYS have on something I'd like to see, but often they do...and they TOO have those films they'll show with some level of frequency...but....

I don't think we'll see NORTH BY NORTHWEST, LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, or CITIZEN KANE with the same amount of frequency as we see on TCM!

And TCM didn't INVENT the whole "frequency" thing.  For example, there WAS a stretch of years, mostly though the 1970's, when REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE could be seen quite OFTEN on local TV station's "Late, Late" shows!

Sepiatone

MOVIES has genre offerings;  Saturday night is noir night: 3 noir movies in a row and Sunday morning is Mystery movies;  Charlie Chan, Mr. Moto and other detective \ mystery fair.  

Get-TV features stars,  like Friday night with Ida Lupino.  

Well the only reason I watch MOVIES is because they do show movies no other station I receive from my cable service shows.

So to me it is a trade off; I'm seeing a movie I want to see,  but with a compromised viewing experience.    But sometimes, when I see content blocked out or I'm watching commercials,  I find myself saying that there must be a better option. 

Yea this ^ it's also a good way to sample a film you never saw to see if it's worth a buy on DVD, DVDr, or VHS tape. 

I grew up watching Million Dollar Movie, I learned to love the classics I saw on broadcast TV despite the commercials. I'm glad that Movies! and GetTV offer some variety when TCM is showing same ol' same ol'. We should get off our high horses and be happy we have some alternatives out there besides reality TV crapola. 

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings