Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bikers and hippies!

My wife is watching some kind of recently made Sci-Fi flick on FXX or some such channel.

But, it reminds me of a trend in that genre that's so far been with us for nearly 30 years....

I've never seen so many beards, long hair and metal studded leather since those late '60's American International "Hell's Angels" flicks!

What's UP with that?

Sepiatone

My wife is watching some kind of recently made Sci-Fi flick on FXX or some such channel.

But, it reminds me of a trend in that genre that's so far been with us for nearly 30 years....

I've never seen so many beards, long hair and metal studded leather since those late '60's American International "Hell's Angels" flicks!

What's UP with that?

Sepiatone

Bikers and hippies look the same to you?

Maybe Mick should have hired hippies instead of bikers to provide security at Altamont.

He hired the Hell's Angels. They killed a guy at the base of the state while Mick was playing a song. The guy waved a gun, so they stabbed him and killed him and got away with it.

I was there.

He hired the Hell's Angels. They killed a guy at the base of the state while Mick was playing a song. The guy waved a gun, so they stabbed him and killed him and got away with it.

I was there.

I read about that many years ago. His name was Meredith Hunter. Why would anyone hire the Hell's Angels? The Beatles had a problem with them leaving when George Harrison casually told them to stop in if they were ever in the country.

I read about that many years ago. His name was Meredith Hunter. Why would anyone hire the Hell's Angels? The Beatles had a problem with them leaving when George Harrison casually told them to stop in if they were ever in the country.

They were hired to protect the band and mainly gathered around the bandstand. They did not really act like a full "security" company.

the whole thing was a big fiasco, with the city county and state trying to get in on it and all sorts of rural land onwers wanting to rent the land to the Stones.

Atty. Melvin Belli was on tv for days claiming to act as the Stone's attorney and he claimed on TV he arranged for the Angels to "work as security" for the concert.

The state and counties tried to prevent it. The Stones wanted the publicity to make it bigger than Woodstock.

There were about 300,000 people there, and people were still arriving after the last song had played and the Stones had left. They had arrived and departed by helicopter.

altamontreport.jpg

I read about that many years ago. His name was Meredith Hunter. Why would anyone hire the Hell's Angels?

In the video you see them slap one of the Jefferson Airplane. Then they acted like they wanted to fight the band

There was a festival in the U.K. around that time. They learned their lessons. Tight security, corrugated metal walls around the stadium. No one was getting in without a ticket. And sure enough, the fans began to boo and call the artists greedy. As if the world exists to give hippies everything for free . 

I love their music, listen to it all the time. But, music was/is a business like anything else.

Funny, I'm just reading a biography (2012) of Mick Jagger by Philip Norman.  He states that the Grateful Dead had the idea of using the Hell's Angels, as well as the idea for concert.  British Hell's Angels had successfully acted as security at the Rolling Stones' Hyde Park concert, but they were a different kettle of fish than their American counterparts.  He notes that it was unfair for Mick to take so much blame as he performed a heroic set in dangerous circumstances, while Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young rushed through theirs and took off by helicopter, and the Grateful Dead took one look at the crowd and left without playing.

Apparently Sam Cutler was never paid for emceeing their 1969 tour and staying behind to deal with official queries about Altamont, nor given credit for coming up with "the world's greatest rock 'n' roll band." 

I was there.

You were there--wow!  Was it as hellish as it looked in Gimmie Shelter?  How far were you from the stage? 

Bikers and hippies look the same to you?

Only in that both characteristically had long hair and beards.  At least the bikers I knew( and THAT'S even more than I like to admit).  And the Zulus that hung out on Detroit's Plum Street( Detroit's HAIGHT-ASHBURY) all looked the same(except the BIKERS wore the leather!).

( The ZULUS are (still) one of Detroit's major bike gangs(Yeah, I know----"It's NOT a gang, it's a CLUB!")

Sepiatone

As if the world exists to give hippies everything for free . 

HMMmmmm........

As far as I KNOW, it wasn't "hippies" who started all the downloading  that musical artists objected to not so long ago.... B)

Sepiatone

You were there--wow!  Was it as hellish as it looked in Gimmie Shelter?  How far were you from the stage? 

No it wasn't "hellish".  Only near the stage and about 20 or 30 feet away from the stage was it hectic. Just very crowded up close. Too many people right up close, all stepping on each other.

I arrived late and was way in the back, maybe 100 yards or more from the stage. Nice and peaceful there. :)

Funny, I'm just reading a biography (2012) of Mick Jagger by Philip Norman.  He states that the Grateful Dead had the idea of using the Hell's Angels, as well as the idea for concert.  British Hell's Angels had successfully acted as security at the Rolling Stones' Hyde Park concert, but they were a different kettle of fish than their American counterparts.  He notes that it was unfair for Mick to take so much blame as he performed a heroic set in dangerous circumstances, while Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young rushed through theirs and took off by helicopter, and the Grateful Dead took one look at the crowd and left without playing.

Apparently Sam Cutler was never paid for emceeing their 1969 tour and staying behind to deal with official queries about Altamont, nor given credit for coming up with "the world's greatest rock 'n' roll band." 

I believe that part of the problem was that Altamont was selected at the last minute to be the venue, and that preparations were rushed. Wasn't  Golden Gate Park the original intended venue, but the requisite permits could not be obtained?

Only in that both characteristically had long hair and beards.  At least the bikers I knew( and THAT'S even more than I like to admit).  And the Zulus that hung out on Detroit's Plum Street( Detroit's HAIGHT-ASHBURY) all looked the same(except the BIKERS wore the leather!).

( The ZULUS are (still) one of Detroit's major bike gangs(Yeah, I know----"It's NOT a gang, it's a CLUB!")

Sepiatone

Most bikers had 18 inch biceps. Most hippies had 10 inch biceps.

They were hired to protect the band and mainly gathered around the bandstand. They did not really act like a full "security" company.

the whole thing was a big fiasco, with the city county and state trying to get in on it and all sorts of rural land onwers wanting to rent the land to the Stones.

Atty. Melvin Belli was on tv for days claiming to act as the Stone's attorney and he claimed on TV he arranged for the Angels to "work as security" for the concert.

The state and counties tried to prevent it. The Stones wanted the publicity to make it bigger than Woodstock.

There were about 300,000 people there, and people were still arriving after the last song had played and the Stones had left. They had arrived and departed by helicopter.

altamontreport.jpg

It's impressive to me that you saw The Rolling Stones back in their heyday. I wanted to go see them back in the 80's when "Tattoo You" came out. They were playing in Philly but my Mom said no. I did see The Marshall Tucker Band at Bucknell University and later on Bruce Springsteen at an outdoor concert in Germany. It was a great concert. Plus there was plenty of room and we didn't get pushed at all.

Thank You for all the information. I love The Stones.

It's impressive to me that you saw The Rolling Stones back in their heyday. I wanted to go see them back in the 80's when "Tattoo You" came out. They were playing in Philly but my Mom said no. I did see The Marshall Tucker Band at Bucknell University and later on Bruce Springsteen at an outdoor concert in Germany. It was a great concert. Plus there was plenty of room and we didn't get pushed at all.

I DID see the Stones in Philly in the early '70s. Stevie Wonder was the opening act. It was that exposure that helped Stevie break through with White audiences.

I walked up close to the stage but it was a mess there, and lots of bickering and some danger from the Drunk Angels pushing people around, but just 50 feet away, everything was friendly but very crowded. 100+ feet away people had more room, and the sound system was very good up to 200 yards away.

Those of us in the back were unaware what was going on during the fights, although we heard Mick stop singing and tell everyone to  chill out and cool off, so we figured there might be some fights up near the stage. But then they kept singing and it was very good music. We could "see" them singing and Mick dancing across the stage, but only as tiny dots way in the distance. :)

There were lots of cops in the area but NOT inside the fences at the concert. They knew to stay away from that. They spent their time towing cars that were parked along and ON the interstate highway. One lane on each side of the 4-lane highway had hundred of parked cars on it, and the cops called in fleets of tow-trucks to haul them off.

• Like 2

I walked up close to the stage but it was a mess there, and lots of bickering and some danger from the Drunk Angels pushing people around, but just 50 feet away, everything was friendly but very crowded. 100+ feet away people had more room, and the sound system was very good up to 200 yards away.

Those of us in the back were unaware what was going on during the fights, although we heard Mick stop singing and tell everyone to  chill out and cool off, so we figured there might be some fights up near the stage. But then they kept singing and it was very good music. We could "see" them singing and Mick dancing across the stage, but only as tiny dots way in the distance. :)

There were lots of cops in the area but NOT inside the fences at the concert. They knew to stay away from that. They spent their time towing cars that were parked along and ON the interstate highway. One lane on each side of the 4-lane highway had hundred of parked cars on it, and the cops called in fleets of tow-trucks to haul them off.

The killing actually took place while the Airplane was performing, didn't it?

The killing actually took place while the Airplane was performing, didn't it?

I don't remember, but I think it is in the movie. A friend of mine shot the scene of the guy waving the gun.

I think the Stones were on stage.

See 1 hour and 24 minutes into this video, and look for the still frames during the fight. The gun was obvious on the large bright theatrical print. The guy in the green suit was holding the gun.