Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bikers and hippies!

I believe that part of the problem was that Altamont was selected at the last minute to be the venue, and that preparations were rushed. Wasn't  Golden Gate Park the original intended venue, but the requisite permits could not be obtained?

That's right.  Golden Gate Park couldn't be used as a football game was scheduled for that day, the Grateful Dead or their people not checking if it was indeed available.  The second choice was the Sears Point Raceway in the Sonoma Mountains.  Apparently the setting formed a natural amphitheater so a low stage was built for that location, but was way too low for flat Altamont, hence all the stray people on the stage, even a dog crossing by at one point.  They couldn't use the second location as it was owned by a film company who added a rider wanting distribution rights to any film of the concert. They had 48 hours to find another site, dismantle, and rebuild the stage at Altamont.

I walked up close to the stage but it was a mess there, and lots of bickering and some danger from the Drunk Angels pushing people around, but just 50 feet away, everything was friendly but very crowded. 100+ feet away people had more room, and the sound system was very good up to 200 yards away.

Those of us in the back were unaware what was going on during the fights, although we heard Mick stop singing and tell everyone to  chill out and cool off, so we figured there might be some fights up near the stage. But then they kept singing and it was very good music. We could "see" them singing and Mick dancing across the stage, but only as tiny dots way in the distance. :)

There were lots of cops in the area but NOT inside the fences at the concert. They knew to stay away from that. They spent their time towing cars that were parked along and ON the interstate highway. One lane on each side of the 4-lane highway had hundred of parked cars on it, and the cops called in fleets of tow-trucks to haul them off.

Fascinating to hear about it from someone who was there.  I saw them first in 1969, at an indoor sports arena.  It's hazy, but I remember a policeman picking me up and helping me over a barrier.  I can't believe my parents let me go on a school night!

I watched Gimme Shelter the last time it was on TCM a couple of months

ago. Hadn't seen it in a while before then. Hunter was killed during the

Stones' set. I always rememeber the scene where Keith gets quite

angry and points his finger and starts yelling something like It's that

guy there, if he doesn't stop....that was before the stabbing when things

were already getting out of control. Look at some of the Angels as they

watch Jagger dance around in his costume. They really don't like this

guy.

Cutler did go on to manage other big tours after Altamont. He must have

been a bit of a softie. If the Stones had tried to screw Peter Grant, Grant

would have sat on Jagger until he was paid every last penny.

I recorded the Gimme Shelter documentary but have not watched it yet because I wasn't sure if that scene was in there. I just have a hard time with real violence/blood. Would you please let me know if it's graphic?

Fascinating to hear about it from someone who was there. I saw them first in 1969, at an indoor sports arena. It's hazy, but I remember a policeman picking me up and helping me over a barrier. I can't believe my parents let me go on a school night!

Okay, now I'm jealous! Even though it was a little hazy, I bet you had a great time. Thank you for all the information you provided in addition to Fred's. It is so enjoyable to hear everyone's stories.

So, does ANY of this explain WHY characters in modern day SCI-FI movies LOOK like BIKERS and HIPPIES?

Or , does this all OVERTAX all y'alls severely limited attenton spans?

Sepiatone

I think it would help if you would narrow this down to some specific movies. There are modern day fantasy costumer sci-fis where that look fits right in - long hair and beards. I don't watch any of them unless they are on cable - and then when there is absolutely nothing else that interests me.

I watched Battleship a couple months ago and was intrigued by the story, even though it is based on the board game. Everyone there was military so there were no "bikers or hippies" in this modern day sci-fi.

Then there is the AMC Walking Dead series - not a movie, but the conditions support the shaggy looks.

My wife is watching some kind of recently made Sci-Fi flick on FXX or some such channel.

But, it reminds me of a trend in that genre that's so far been with us for nearly 30 years....

I've never seen so many beards, long hair and metal studded leather since those late '60's American International "Hell's Angels" flicks!

What's UP with that?

Sepiatone

Long hair and beards generally aren’t fashionable among young people today, and the people who have long hair and beards now remind fashionable young modern people of guys like the mountain-men hillbillies in DELIVERANCE. IE, frightening looking like outlaw bikers and scary looking like drug-crazed hippies.

Oh, and also notice your local news and what mug shots of your local murderers look like..... usually kinda freaky, and not well dressed like John Dillinger. :)

Long hair and beards generally aren’t fashionable among young people today, and the people who have long hair and beards now remind fashionable young modern people of guys like the mountain-men hillbillies in DELIVERANCE. IE, frightening looking like outlaw bikers and scary looking like drug-crazed hippies.

Oh, and also notice your local news and what mug shots of your local murderers look like..... usually kinda freaky, and not well dressed like John Dillinger. :)

The first person I think of with long hair and a beard is Charles Manson. 'Nuff said.

The longer the beard, the more likely you are to think of the person?..... I 'm not sure who he is. Didn't he used to do Gillette commercials?

:lol:

Yeah. I think he fits right in here.

He's a film score composer and James Taylor's bassist (among other's). He does film and tv soundtracks.

And he's one hairy dude. I'll wager he owns a Harley.

The first person I think of with long hair and a beard is Charles Manson. 'Nuff said.

It's disturbing that you'd first conjur up Charlie, and NOT  SANTA CLAUS! :o

OR......JESUS!  :huh:

Sepiatone ( who ALSO at one time had long hair and a beard!  STILL has the beard, but, the HAIR thinned out a bit ) :P

• Like 1

In my teens and early twenties, I had hair down to my waist and a not-so-long beard - about down to my top shirt button. Kept my hair in a ponytail. Gave it all up when I bought my third convertible, as I made many trips to the beach with the top down and wanted no more to do with the (en)tanglements of long hair anywhere on my body.