Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Boyhood" wins Best Film at BAFTAs

jakeem

"Boyhood," director Richard Linklater's groundbreaking film with a 12-year gestation period, won three major awards -- including Best Film -- at the annual ceremony of the British Academy of Film and Television Arts in London.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/08/europe/baftas-2015/

I did watch a bit of the BAFTAs, before and after Downton Abbey of course.  I'm pleased that Boyhood did so well. Hope the DGA Award is not a harbinger of a Birdman win at the Oscars. Yuck.

I did watch a bit of the BAFTAs, before and after Downton Abbey of course.  I'm pleased that Boyhood did so well. Hope the DGA Award is not a harbinger of a Birdman win at the Oscars. Yuck.

Anything's possible at this point. Since 1948, there have been seven instances in which the winner of the Directors Guild award did not win the Academy Award for Best Director:

1968 -- Anthony Harvey, "The Lion in Winter" (DGA); Sir Carol Reed, "Oliver!" (AA).

1972 -- Francis Ford Coppola, "The Godfather" (DGA); Bob Fosse, "Cabaret" (AA).

1985 -- Steven Spielberg, "The Color Purple" (DGA); Sydney Pollack, "Out of Africa" (AA).

1995 -- Ron Howard, "Apollo 13" (DGA); Mel Gibson, "Braveheart" (AA).

2000 -- Ang Lee, "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" (DGA); Steven Soderbergh, "Traffic" (AA).

2002 -- Rob Marshall, "Chicago" (DGA); Roman Polanski, "The Pianist" (AA).

2012 -- Ben Affleck, "Argo" (DGA); Ang Lee, "Life of Pi" (AA).

It does not look like there is a clear front winner for best pic at this point (Boyhood did seem the favorite a few months ago). Best actor seems a toss up also. Only best actress seems a lock (for Julianne Moore, long overdue for one). Might be some upsets this year...........

It does not look like there is a clear front winner for best pic at this point (Boyhood did seem the favorite a few months ago). Best actor seems a toss up also. Only best actress seems a lock (for Julianne Moore, long overdue for one). Might be some upsets this year...........

The Best Supporting Actor and Best Supporting Actress categories are pretty much locks. Both J.K. Simmons ("Whiplash") and Patricia Arquette ("Boyhood") have won just about every award in sight.

The Best Supporting Actor and Best Supporting Actress categories are pretty much locks. Both J.K. Simmons ("Whiplash") and Patricia Arquette ("Boyhood") have won just about every award in sight.

Yes. But I wasnt including those in my thinking........

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings