Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

new photo batch: anyone recognize these movie stars?

DickLindsay

Hey Rich, I said it was Adele Mara with Gig Young in 1947, and you said it was Adele Mara with Gilbert Roland in 1959.  It looks like she changed quite a bit in 12 years.  Here she is with John Wayne in that same 1947 movie.

8x10_wake_of_the_red_witch_num2_WA02805_

And here she is with Gilbert Roland and Victor Mature in "The Big Circus".

dfpz63129-1.jpg

And here is her autographed photo.

Adele%20Mara7.jpg

It's amazing what a change of hair color and a few years can do!

Hey Rich, I said it was Adele Mara with Gig Young in 1947, and you said it was Adele Mara with Gilbert Roland in 1959.  It looks like she changed quite a bit in 12 years. 

It's amazing what a change of hair color and a few years can do!

I always liked her better as a brunette. That photo with Roland is odd, because if it is from The Big Circus,  that's not how she wore her hair in the movie. So this is probably just a publicity still from the film.

I'll just throw this out there and see what you think: the woman in the seventh photo with the number 704/12 in the upper right corner reminds me of Rosemary DeCamp in profile. I am not familiar enough with her filmography to know if she appeared in a costume drama other than Yankee Doodle Dandy (1944) . . . perhaps Bowery To Broadway (1944), anyone else have an idea?

I'll just throw this out there and see what you think: the woman in the seventh photo with the number 704/12 in the upper right corner reminds me of Rosemary DeCamp in profile. I am not familiar enough with her filmography to know if she appeared in a costume drama other than Yankee Doodle Dandy (1944) . . . perhaps Bowery To Broadway (1944), anyone else have an idea?

I don't think it is Rosemary DeCamp. I know that is Mark Stevens, so I checked his costume films and came up with Martha Stewart as a possibility, Here is a photo of Stewart. If nothing else, I learned about a new actress. Note the hairstyle similarity:

martha_stewart_8_x_10.jpg

I recognized some, notsomuch on others.

Addressing DickLinsay;

Would you be interested in posting some photos of this quality on the thread "Photo Captioning Fun"?

Smaller picks might work better, and they should be numbered in the sequence that already exists, to aid the responders in Identifying their targets.  I urge you to check out that thread, and see if you would enjoy participating.  Please consider it. //

/flashback 42

Karen, I think that's June Haver in that photo. At first I thought she was in the original still, but it didn't quite look like her, which is why I guessed it was Stewart.

I seem to be all over the map on this one photo, but I'm wondering if the actress with Mark Stevens might not be Miss Stewart. I have only seen June Haver in one film, Love Nest (1948), but I always thought she was more on the side of blonde than brunette. This is probably no grounds for a sound judgment, and not meant to reflect on June Haver (I’m sure she was a lovely person), but the petite brunette next to Mark Stevens seems, well, bubbly, vivacious compared to June Haver's somewhat formal reserve.

8b52030b-cbd1-47e5-abc2-87e7c56e3162_zps

• 3 weeks later...

Just seeing this, so I'll catch up and identify what I can that was left uncertain, and confirm some others.

No.1 - Tim Holt in THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS (1942) - RKO Radio.

No. 2 - This is a Warner Bros. still. Not sure who she is, but the letters KN (or is it KH?) are her initials.

No. 5 - Definitely Gig Young and Adele Mara in WAKE OF THE RED WITCH (1948) - Republic. 

No. 6 - Stephen McNally and Jan Sterling in JOHNNY BELINDA (1948) - Warner Bros.

No. 7 - Definitely June Haver and Mark Stevens in I WONDER WHO'S KISSING HER NOW (1947) - 20th Century-Fox.

No. 8 - Definitely Adele Mara and Gilbert Roland in THE BIG CIRCUS (1959) - Allied Artists.

No. 10 - Esther Howard and Stephen (billed as Alden) Chase in FOOLPROOF (1936) - MGM "Crime Does Not Pay" short.

And, in case anyone was wondering, the signed photo of Adele Mara is from the 1946 republic Picture THE INVISIBLE INFORMER.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings