Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MAY SCHEDULE IS UP

Thank goodness...Sterling Hayden is an interesting actor and for the merry month of May we should see some "Sterling" performances across a wide venue and eras of film performances including my all time favourite: Dr. Strangelove. Next to Casablanca and The Life of Bryan that is one of my most enjoyable movie repeats.

Now I will just have to continue forging along and pushing for a George Sanders SOTM...but not too soon after Sterling Hayden. Two sequential months of cynics in the movies might be too depressing.

Looks like Sterling Hayden is SOTM. Has he been picked before? At least he has an interesting porfolio, I dont mind the choice...

The 1953 version of SO BIG is scheduled as part of Sterling Hayden's tribute.

I've never seen this version but I love the original version directed by William Wellman which starred Barbara Stanwyck.

A few notes on TCM's schedule for May 2015

images11.jpg

The monthly Friday Night Spotlight is going to focus on Orson Welles, since it would have been his 100th birthday. Welles has always been a critics' darling but still to this day is mostly an acquired taste for mainstream audiences. (Don't get me wrong, I love Welles, and I wrote several papers on him in film school.)

The Death Row primetime theme that was replaced by the Rod Taylor memorial tribute in late January has been re-scheduled in early May-- May 4th to be precise.

imgres12.jpg

The May 2015 Star of the Month is a very photogenic Sterling Hayden. For his tribute, there are four evenings designed pretty much by genre. On May 6th, TCM will roll out his crime/noir entries. On May 13th, we get some of his action adventure pictures (including a very good low budget Korean War movie called BATTLE TAXI). Then on the 20th, it's a night of Sterling Hayden westerns. And finally on the 27th, TCM wraps it up with an evening featuring several melodramas he did.

Robert Osborne's monthly picks are set for May 5th, but the selections are TBA. Guess we will have to wait and see what Bob has chosen.

imgres11.jpg

Tony Bennett is guest programmer a week later on the 12th, and his choices are a bit disappointing. Nothing outside the box, and no musicals. I think well-known musicians should pick at least one musical out of their four choices. Just my opinion, of course.

There are five Saturdays in May 2015, which gives us five more pieces to the Sally Field season of Essentials. Those pieces are: NINOTCHKA; I REMEMBER MAMA; THE RED SHOES; FRIENDLY PERSUASION; and TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD.

screen-shot-2015-02-09-at-4-12-09-pm.png

There are three weeks (not a full month) where viewers will be shown a TCM special theme-- Disaster Movies. The first evening focuses on airline disasters; the second evening revolves around fires, floods and earthquakes; and the third evening is on disasters at sea. The great thing about the third evening of this special programming is that while they are airing THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE again, they are immediately following it up with the seldom-seen sequel BEYOND THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE.

images10.jpg?w=300

For die-hard Sally Field fans, that's an extra treat because she's in BEYOND THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE with Michael Caine. Since Sally is co-hosting this year's Essentials, that sort of brings it back around full circle. Don't you think...?

There are three weeks (not a full month) where viewers will be shown a TCM special theme-- Disaster Movies. The first evening focuses on airline disasters; the second evening revolves around fires, floods and earthquakes; and the third evening is on disasters at sea. The great thing about the third evening of this special programming is that while they are airing THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE again, they are immediately following it up with the seldom-seen sequel BEYOND THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE.

JUGGERNAUT is also on the schedule.

I hope it doesn't get bumped this time.

• Like 1

Chimes at Midnight and The Tree of Wooden Clogs:  I'm glad I didn't choose the first to be a movie that TCM would never show for the programming challenge.

I sincerely hope it is the latest version of Chimes at Midnight.  They fixed the sync of all of the dialogue in the first 20 minute reel.  Every print before that had unfitted ADR.

I'm pleased at the opportunity to see the three Orson Welles Shakespeare films, which I've never seen. Same with The Tree of Wooden Clogs, not longer available on Criterion and extremely expensive when offered for sale.

ABBA: the Movie. As opposed to, say, ABBA: the Lunchbox. (Not an original joke, unfortunately). Directed by Lasse Hallstrom, no less. OK, I have to see this. Just as I have to check out The Iron Sheriff where Sterling Hayden's leading lady is apparently . . . Constance Ford???

Laurence Harvey's The Ceremony is back on the schedule.

Special recommendation: Crime Wave. The first half hour, especially, is brilliantly directed by Andre de Toth. A top-notch film noir, with excellent performances and interesting glimpses of the LA area of the 1950s. Of course, if you haven't seen The Killing and The Asphalt Jungle, shown just before Crime Wave, they are amazing films which deserve their high reputation. May 8 has Purple Noon, equally brilliant, and May 15 has The Reckless Moment.

Though it's hard to believe, The Red Shoes has never been shown as an Essential. (I used it once in a programming challenge of obvious choices which had never been picked as an Essential.) Powell's The Tales of Hoffmann doesn't often turn up on TCM, either.

Westbound isn't usually considered as good as the Budd Boetticher/Randolph Scott collaborations written by Burt Kennedy, but that's another movie I want to check out.

Calamity Jane turns up on May 17.

For die-hard Sally Field fans, that's an extra treat because she's in BEYOND THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE with Michael Caine. Since Sally is co-hosting this year's Essentials, that sort of brings it back around full circle. Don't you think...?

Actually, it is my understanding that NORMA RAE (1979) will be airing at some point on the upcoming season of The Essentials, marking the first time a film featuring one of the co-hosts has aired on the program.

• Like 1

ABBA: the Movie. As opposed to, say, ABBA: the Lunchbox. (Not an original joke, unfortunately). Directed by Lasse Hallstrom, no less. OK, I have to see this.

It's a lot of fun. The movie focuses on the group's 1977 tour of Australia, with the framing story of a radio reporter whose job it is to get an interview with the group. But, just like the characters in Luis Buñuel's The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, the guy keeps coming up just short, instead interviewing a lot of regular people along the way. I wonder how many of them were actors; the taxi driver who hates ABBA must have been an actor. But the two little girls had to be real people. One of the girls says that ABBA's outfits look sexy, and both of them start laughing because they used the word "sexy". As for the group themselves, the backstage stuff is really worth seeing.

The schedule isn't showing up for me. I presume TCM didn't include 9 To 5 for the SOTM salute to Hayden?

I'm glad to see Hayden as SOTM, and I'm even more pleased that they're bunching all of his noirs and gangster movies together in the first week.  The highlight there is The Killing, right up front at 8:00, which may not be a TCM premiere but in any case hasn't been shown for at least the past six years.

My only disappointment is that we're not getting Hard Contract, a great hit man movie where Hayden plays a retired hit man who has a contract put out on him by his former boss, Burgess Meredith.  Hayden reminds you of an Amish looking version of the guy on the cover of Confederates in the Attic,

Confederates-in-the-Attic-192x300.jpg

and though he's only on screen for about the last half hour or so, he steals the show.  James Caan and Lee Remick are also terrific as the hired killer and his unexpected love interest.  And Lilli Palmer is the most drop dead gorgeous 55 year old woman I've yet to see in any movie---she's worth the price of admission by herself.  Too bad that it's a Fox movie and not one that would be easily acquired.

Actually, it is my understanding that NORMA RAE (1979) will be airing at some point on the upcoming season of The Essentials, marking the first time a film featuring one of the co-hosts has aired on the program.

Yes, from one of the articles about Sally Field becoming the new co-host it does sound as if NORMA RAE is one of the Essentials she's chosen.

PLACES IN THE HEART (for which Sally Field won her second Oscar and gave her now famous "You like me!" acceptance speech) is also scheduled to air in May on TCM.

Yay!!!!

ROLLER BOOGIE is back.

I missed it when it aired before on TCM.

As I recall speedracer said it was worth seeing.

Lol.  I wouldn't say it was the best movie, but I watched the whole thing because I got hooked at the beginning with the mention of a roller boogie contest.  After Linda Blair started training for said contest, I wanted to see the end result.  The movie was amusing, although, the lead actor was terrible and it's just as well that this is pretty much his only film.  I was disappointed though, because I fell asleep and missed the boogie contest, which was the reason I watched the whole thing in the first place.  I'm happy to see it repeated, so that I can see the contest. 

I wouldn't say it was the best movie, but I watched the whole thing because I got hooked at the beginning with the mention of a roller boogie contest. 

Yeah, some of the most entertaining movies are not great ones.

Certainly a roller boogie contest is enough to peak my interest.

I'm a big fan of the 2007 Broadway stage musical XANADU (adapted from the movie starring Olivia Newton-John). 

I've never seen the movie XANADU, but the stage musical is so much fun.

I'm not familiar with Sterling Hayden at all, so it'll be interesting to see some of his work.  I have heard of him, but I'd never be able to pick him out of a movie or anything. 

I love Orson Welles, so I'm all over him being a Friday Night Spotlight selection.

May 1- Features some pre-code secretary romances.  That could be an interesting marathon of films to watch.

May 2- Ninotchka which I haven't seen. Maybe I'll finally be able to see it and see if I can understand the appeal of Garbo; Roller Boogie, which I'll need to re-watch and see the climactic roller boogie contest that I missed last time around.  I fell asleep before the contest and woke up after the contest; I'm not a big Abba fan, but I do love music documentaries and live concerts.

May 6- Looks like a Nurse theme.  I keep missing Night Nurse every time it airs, so I'll try to catch it again.  The evening of Sterling Hayden crime/suspense films look interesting.  I'm especially interested in The Killing, Crime of Passion and The Asphalt Jungle

May 7- The evening of disaster movies.  Five Came Back is a really good film and features one of my favorites-- Lucille Ball.  I also love the cheesy 70s disaster films.  I've never seen Airport so that'll be fun.

May 8- Mr. Arkadin, an Orson Welles movie I've never heard of, let alone seen.  Journey into Fear, I like the sounds of the cast: Welles, Joseph Cotten, and Agnes Moorehead.

May 9- Irene Dunne films: I Remember Mama and The White Cliffs of Dover, two films I've never seen. 

May 11- An evening of biker gang films, it sounds like an interesting line up. 

May 14- A Day of bad sci-fi films.  The bad ones are really the only ones I enjoy watching.  Earthquake! during the Disaster movie evening.

May 17- The wee-hours airings of Laurel and Hardy films.

May 21- The Poseidon Adventure never gets old to me and I didn't even know there was a sequel, so that looks promising as well.

Memorial Day Marathon of WWII movies.  There are many that look good (Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo, Captains of the Clouds, Twelve O'Clock High, Sahara, Across the Pacific, Action in the North Atlantic)

May 27- The Star with Bette Davis, Sterling Hayden and Natalie Wood; Dr Strangelove...

May 28- Alice Adams. I saw this film once, I'd like to see it again.

May 29- Orson Welles: Tomorrow is Forever and The V.I.P.S