Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sterling Hayden's Der Havarist ?

Bogie56

I noticed on the imdb that Sterling Hayden is credited with the novel for which a German 1984 production is based titled, Der Havarist.

Apaprently he appears in archive footage in this film and he is also portrayed by a german actor.

Does anyone know anything about this one?

I have read two books by Hayden: his autobiography The Wanderer and Voyage.  To my knowledge they are the only one's that he wrote.

Hayden's trip with his children on his schooner to Tahiti (the main subject in The Wanderer) was supposed to be the subject of a documentary that he was making but to my knowledge it was never completed.

Perhaps this footage is part of this film?  If so, I'm not sure why they didn't just call it The Wanderer.  I have been unable to find a translation of Havarist.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Hayden's trip with his children on his schooner to Tahiti (the main subject in The Wanderer) was supposed to be the subject of a documentary that he was making but to my knowledge it was never completed.

Perhaps this footage is part of this film?  If so, I'm not sure why they didn't just call it The Wanderer.  I have been unable to find a translation of Havarist.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

I believe Havarist is a damaged or disabled  ship - or the owner of said ship.

• 3 years later...

An acquaintance/contact of mine, Lee Mandel, has written the definitive (and authorized) biography of Sterling Hayden. Published last year or so; its called 'Sterling Hayden's Wars'. There's chapters on his drinking, his sailing, his hashish use, his HUAC appearance. From him I myself learned that Hayden was an author and penned two books which apparently sold well around the European market. Mandel interviewed family members as well as colleagues; obtained info from both the National Archives and Boston University (where there's an exclusive Sterling Hayden collection).

If anyone has any questions about Hayden, let me know and I'll pass them on gladly.

Amazon link:

https://tinyurl.com/y7p57och

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

An acquaintance/contact of mine, Lee Mandel, has written the definitive (and authorized) biography of Sterling Hayden. Published last year or so; its called 'Sterling Hayden's Wars'. There's chapters on his drinking, his sailing, his hashish use, his HUAC appearance. From him I myself learned that Hayden was an author and penned two books which apparently sold well around the European market. Mandel interviewed family members as well as colleagues; obtained info from both the National Archives and Boston University (where there's an exclusive Sterling Hayden collection).

If anyone has any questions about Hayden, let me know and I'll pass them on gladly.

Amazon link:

https://tinyurl.com/y7p57och

Interesting. I'd like to know what he thought of participating in the CBS miniseries The Blue and the Gray. I believe it turned out to be Hayden's last screen appearance. He plays abolitionist John Brown in the first 20 minutes. It's an extended cameo but has a few noteworthy scenes for him to play.

I'd also like to know more about Hayden's marriage to Madeleine Carroll. Seems like a very unusual pairing. I can't imagine what they would have had in common.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings