Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

JOE PALOOKA MONOGRAM FILMS

cody1949

• 3 weeks later...

Just bumping this back up to the top. It's amazing that there aren't any film collectors who have these films. Just as amazing is the fact that any copyright information on these films do not exist anywhere. It's as if they just vanished off the face of the earth and since they were second features,AKA 'B'films,who cares.

Just bumping this back up to the top. It's amazing that there aren't any film collectors who have these films. Just as amazing is the fact that any copyright information on these films do not exist anywhere. It's as if they just vanished off the face of the earth and since they were second features,AKA 'B'films,who cares.

Are you assuming that no film collector has these films because they didn't respond to your post?

Too bad you have no information to add. A question following a question contributes nothing.

Yes, I have nothing to add.  I just wanted to know if you knew for sure that no collector has these films or if you were just assuming that because your thread was ignore.    

Yes, I have nothing to add.  I just wanted to know if you knew for sure that no collector has these films or if you were just assuming that because your thread was ignore.    

Sorry, maybe I took your comment the wrong way.  I subscribe to a monthly newspaper called Classic Images which devotes itself to movies of the past. In the magazine there are sellers of old movies. I have yet to see any offering of a Joe Palooka -Monogram film. I tried to find out from George Feltenstein of the Warner Archive if these films were part of their holdings as other Monogram films are, but there has been no reply.

Sorry, maybe I took your comment the wrong way.  I subscribe to a monthly newspaper called Classic Images which devotes itself to movies of the past. In the magazine there are sellers of old movies. I have yet to see any offering of a Joe Palooka -Monogram film. I tried to find out from George Feltenstein of the Warner Archive if these films were part of their holdings as other Monogram films are, but there has been no reply.

I don't know for sure, but it's likely the films have fallen into public domain and are out of copyright. That might be good, because anybody with a print could make DVDs and legally sell them, but, on the other hand, often the studio that actually has them won't release them because it figure somebody will just make copies of theirs and sell them cheaper. Of course, if there's no prints around, then it's all a mute point.

There's a company, which advertises in Classic Images every month, called oldies.com that sells hundreds of PD titles, you might check with them.

No problem.  I'm hoping that any individuals with the best versions of these films donates them to say UCLA or some other group interested in the preservation of 'old' movies so they can make them available to the general public.

UCLA only makes films available to the public on-site unless the copyright owner distributes a UCLA-restored version.

I have never had any desire to buy any of the PALOOKA prints.  I do have a trailer for one.  Joe Kirkwood Jr. never captivated me as an actor.  His dad ("put somethin' in the pot, boy") was an amusing second banana.

It is VERY possible that Monogram only had limited distribution license for the characters and that the rights reverted to the Ham Fisher estate or comic strip syndicate.  As of 1971 (my earliest BIB book) the series ownership was listed as "?"

The original film, PALOOKA, fell into public domain.  That's a very good picture (Edward Small/UA) with Durante as Knobby Walsh introducing "Inka Dinka Doo."

UCLA only makes films available to the public on-site unless the copyright owner distributes a UCLA-restored version.

I have never had any desire to buy any of the PALOOKA prints.  I do have a trailer for one.  Joe Kirkwood Jr. never captivated me as an actor.  His dad ("put somethin' in the pot, boy") was an amusing second banana.

It is VERY possible that Monogram only had limited distribution license for the characters and that the rights reverted to the Ham Fisher estate or comic strip syndicate.  As of 1971 (my earliest BIB book) the series ownership was listed as "?"

The original film, PALOOKA, fell into public domain.  That's a very good picture (Edward Small/UA) with Durante as Knobby Walsh introducing "Inka Dinka Doo."

Thanks for your information, Ray. As a soundtrack and old movie enthusiast you are well known to me. 

Ray and Cody,

I was thinking too that perhaps it was a rights issue that was keeping the Monogram "Palooka" features from being released officially on DVD (by Warner Archives) or turning up on TCM. But last year Warner Archives released all but the last two of the 1936-37 Vitaphone "Joe Palooka" shorts on DVD. So, evidently there is no problem with the rights that is keeping the Monogram "Palooka" features tied up.

TCM has shown other Monogram series films from the same period (Bowery Boys, Charlie Chan, Bomba) so I wish they would get to the Palooka movies too. I agree with Ray that they're nothing special (I've seen a few of them) but still I'd like to see the rest of them, and anyway, they should not be kept supressed and out of circulation.

Ray and Cody,

I was thinking too that perhaps it was a rights issue that was keeping the Monogram "Palooka" features from being released officially on DVD (by Warner Archives) or turning up on TCM. But last year Warner Archives released all but the last two of the 1936-37 Vitaphone "Joe Palooka" shorts on DVD. So, evidently there is no problem with the rights that is keeping the Monogram "Palooka" features tied up.

TCM has shown other Monogram series films from the same period (Bowery Boys, Charlie Chan, Bomba) so I wish they would get to the Palooka movies too. I agree with Ray that they're nothing special (I've seen a few of them) but still I'd like to see the rest of them, and anyway, they should not be kept supressed and out of circulation.

Thanks musicalnovelty.  If anyone can get through to George Feltenstein at Warner Archive, it would be interesting what he would have to say on the subject.

• 5 months later...

Just want to bring this thread up to date with the latest information I have received from the Warner Archive,"those films are not clear for release at the present time".  Evidentally, as most of us suspected, it is a rights issue.  

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings