Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

some good films have been on

NipkowDisc

last nite there was twelve o'clock high my favorite war film with the peckster in which he gives a commanding no-nonsense john wayne-like performance then this morning a real favorite of mine, lust for life with the great comedic-obsessive performance by the kirkster and later on this afternoon, the spirit of st. louis with the relaxed somnambulistic performance by a drowsy jimmy stewart.

:)

last nite there was twelve o'clock high my favorite war film with the peckster in which he gives a commanding no-nonsense john wayne-like performance then this morning a real favorite of mine, lust for life with the great comedic-obsessive performance by the kirkster and later on this afternoon, the spirit of st. louis with the relaxed somnambulistic performance by a drowsy jimmy stewart.

:)

It's a good thing the fly pops up in the cockpit so that Stewart as Lindbergh could stay awake!

I watched The Gunfighter for the first time last night.  I liked it.  I think Gregory Peck looks better with a 'stache than without.  I couldn't believe the post-show wrap when Ben Mankiewicz said studio heads at Fox and the general public didn't like seeing Peck that way, even though it was pretty authentic for the time period portrayed in the film.

I watched The Gunfighter for the first time last night.  I liked it.  I think Gregory Peck looks better with a 'stache than without.  I couldn't believe the post-show wrap when Ben Mankiewicz said studio heads at Fox and the general public didn't like seeing Peck that way, even though it was pretty authentic for the time period portrayed in the film.

Totally understandable. Peck played so many men of solid stature, it always was jarring to see him as such less-than-admirable characters as Lewt McCanles in "Duel in the Sun" (1946) and Dr Josef Mengele in "The Boys from Brazil" (1978). Of course, moviegoers always wanted to see Humphrey Bogart, Cary Grant, James Stewart and John Wayne in the best possible light, too.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings