Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Interesting...Senior VP of TCM Charles Tabesh...

JakeHolman

Yes very interesting.  Thanks for posting that.  This illustrates why I like to watch TCM, and Tabesh is obviously part of that.  Old films ARE historical documents, as they are intended for period audiences.  While many of them never get old, others are dated, but are still an important historical document.  And historical documents should be preserved.

since it is in the public domain tcm should not show it.

we don't want tcm's programming dept. to wind up with a nervous complex.

there are far too many showings of GWTW and lawrence of arabia that we must be blessed with.

it ain't like we have seen those two a thousand times...

yet.

:lol:

since it is in the public domain tcm should not show it.

we don't want tcm's programming dept. to wind up with a nervous complex.

there are far too many showings of GWTW and lawrence of arabia that we must be blessed with.

it ain't like we have seen those two a thousand times...

yet.

:lol:

A bit off-topic, but you remind me of an interesting point, and that is that TCM does do an amazing job of finding the best copies of public domain movies.  I can't count how many times I have replaced DVDs I have purchased, either from fellow collectors, or even store-bought versions, with the airings from TCM.

Yes very interesting.  Thanks for posting that.  This illustrates why I like to watch TCM, and Tabesh is obviously part of that.  Old films ARE historical documents, as they are intended for period audiences.  While many of them never get old, others are dated, but are still an important historical document.  And historical documents should be preserved.

Agreed. And history tells us the Directors Guild of America awarded a D.W. Griffith Award for lifetime achievement, but dropped the prize in 1999. Political Correctness. The article points out Orson Welles and Stanley Kubrick and others revered Griffith.

Have a great evening... 

The article points out that Orson Welles and Stanley Kubrick and others revered Griffith.

What a surprise! How many signficant black characters did Welles and Kubrick ever have in their movies? I can think of Woody Strode in "Spartacus," James Earl Jones in "Dr. Strangelove," Scatman Crothers in "The Shining," and Dorian Harewood and a few black extras in "Full Metal Jacket." As for Kubrick's visionary "2001: A Space Odyssey," was he intimating that blacks had no future at all?

What's on tap next? The 70th anniversary of "Song of the South" in November 2016?

What a surprise! How many signficant black characters did Welles and Kubrick ever have in their movies? I can think of Woody Strode in "Spartacus," James Earl Jones in "Dr. Strangelove," Scatman Crothers in "The Shining," and Dorian Harewood and a few black extras in "Full Metal Jacket." As for Kubrick's visionary "2001: A Space Odyssey," was he intimating that blacks had no future at all?

What's on tap next? The 70th anniversary of "Song of the South" in November 2016?

Funny but I was going to make the complete opposite point you appear to be making.

My point being that a director can respect the work of another director but that doesn't mean that they respect other things about that person, like their political views.

You appear to be saying that if a director like Welles respected the work and talent of Griffith that means it is because Welles has similar political view.      Isn't that a very large leap of faith?

No. But then African-American filmmakers have enough trouble getting movies made about life on Earth.

I’m talking about African film makers.... they inhabit and control an entire continent which is much bigger than the US.

They're even constructing a space shuttle.

_54831585_rocket466.jpg

I’m talking about African film makers.... they inhabit and control an entire continent which is much bigger than the US.

Sorry, I just thought you were typing too fast! As far as I can tell -- and from what I learned from Mark Cousins' documentary "The Story of Film" -- African filmmakers are still dealing with this planet and the after-effects of colonialism.

Why not? You have a wise & kind old black man in a time many seem to want to erase from the collective memory. Political Correctness.

Have a great day.

Why not? You have a wise & kind old black man in a time many seem to want to erase from the collective memory. Political Correctness.

Have a great day.

You, too! I have to admit the "wise & kind old black man" is more palatable than the glorification of the Ku Klux_Klan.

Archived