Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Silent Sunday Nights...

bhryun

Will Silent Sunday Nights come back after this month is up? I'll be really disappointed if it doesn't. I'm only 18 years old, but I think Silent Films must be some of the most beautiful pieces of art. It will break my poor little heart if it doesn't come back. It's what kept me up EVERY SUNDAY NIGHT SINCE 2003.

Hey, I'm with ya, solitaryrose87, as far as Silent Movie withdrawal pains go during the 'Summer Under The Stars' and '31 Days of Oscar series are aired (although a few silents actually do show up during those months as well). I think it's so cool when younger movie fans like yourself, show enough imagination to give the silent films a try. I can see how they may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I've been literally obsessed with them from the time I saw the 1925 version of THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA on PBS when I was Seven or Eight.

There is a magical quality to these films and if you dare call yourself a movie fan, you definitely owe it to yourself to at the very least, be versed in some of the more important films, simply for historical purposes. These films, along with their stars, Directors, and Producers, are the innovators who paved the way for all that we've seen at the movies ever since. They deserve a considerable measure of gratitude and respect for that alone. So, don't worry, Solitaryrose87, Silent Sunday Nights will be back and I'll be watching right along with you!

...and when it does return, PLEASE show us some new movies! Perhaps something with Norma Shearer, Doug Fairbanks, Sr., Marion Davies (THE RED MILL??), Joan Crawford (SALLY IRENE & MARY)...

I've heard it said here that TCM owns many, many silents, but they don't have scores. Okay, let's pay some college seniors some $$ and get them scored. Please, oh please, don't let them languish in the vaults. Heck even no music would be okay, if we could see something new.

Oh yeah, I adore silents!

I agree with Alix. As long as these silents do exist, why doesn't TCM show them without the scores or use some of those Vitaphone scores from the films with synchronized sound? I'd love to see more Joan Crawford silents!

The big problem with running silent films without scores is that, today, people have a hard time watching completely silent films.

It's a catch-22 in that you might bring in new viewers but the majority of those new viewers won't come back because they can't sit through a film that has no music, no sfx, and they have to read the title cards. And then they'll their friends how awful silent films are.

With music added, it helps the pacing of the film and the emotion of the film and allows the viewer to get caught up in the story.

I enjoy silents with a musical score probably more that just a silent movie, but I'll tell you what makes me want to turn it off--organ scores! I finally had to shut off the sound from CAT & THE CANARY because my version had a weezy sounding organ. I know that many theatres in the 20's actually did have organs, so perhaps I'd enjoy it more if I was there in person.

Organ music lovers--accept my apologies.

I don't think I've ever heard an organ score on TCM.

The main reason people do not like organ soundtracks on silents they watch on tv is that the tv speakers are very tiny and there is no way they can transmit the majesty and allure of a grand theater organ's music. People who go to silent film festivals where a giant organ is accompanying a film on the big screen have an entirely different viewpoint and are usually bowled over. If you hear an organ with many different instrument selections that can improve the quality of your viewing experience too.

I love silent films and am so glad they'll be back Sunday nights! I can understand why some people might not like them, but I think they're amazing. I get more into the silents than the talkies, because with silents you really have to watch so you don't miss any of the title cards or anything. They're almost hypnotizing. I got to watch "Male and Female" on the big screen in Seattle at the Paramount Theatre a last year with the live organ music and it was amazing. It was also fun to experience one of my favorite films with a large audience--like it must have been when the movie first came out!

I think I should seriously get "into" silent films. I need to get beyond the fact that some people look scary in them. I don't think I should even call myself a true film fan if I haven't seen a few silents. That way, I can critique if I like them or not. I will have to watch, if school isn't involved. ;) I now promise myself to watch at least one, just to get my feel for them. The thing is, I'm usually on my computer when I'm watching movies and I won't be able to do that with silent movies! - Gina