Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New Dorothy Dell article

drednm

Very tragic and very sad. She was another young starlet just beginning the road to stardom

when she was killed. If not for "Little Miss Marker" she would be all but forgotten today. She had great promise and potential.

How ironic that she dated Russ Columbo who died in a freak gun accident. Carole Lombard

(who also dated Russ) took over Dell's role in "Now And Forever" and was killed in a plane crash

less than eight years later. Three beautiful people with looks and talent all taken away so young.

Very tragic and very sad. She was another young starlet just beginning the road to stardom

when she was killed. If not for "Little Miss Marker" she would be all but forgotten today. She had great promise and potential.

How ironic that she dated Russ Columbo who died in a freak gun accident. Carole Lombard

(who also dated Russ) took over Dell's role in "Now And Forever" and was killed in a plane crash

less than eight years later. Three beautiful people with looks and talent all taken away so young.

A series of bizarre coincidences. Both Dell and Lombard in car accidents, both dating Columbo, Lombard getting Dell's role.  There's a horrible story about Shirley Temple on the set of Now and Forever. She had become very friendly with Dell in the previous movie and was told on the set about her death. As the child burst into tears, the cameras moved in (at Mama's insistence) to get the shot which was used in the film. Ghoulish, if true.

Not too long ago I re-read Shirley Temple's autobiography and, as I recall, she said that she was told of Dorothy Dell's death when her mother, for some reason, had left the set and didn't know anything about it.  She seems to have had a very good relationship with her mother and, both in interviews and her book, sings her praises and gives her credit for her (Shirley) turning out the way she did.  Mrs. Temple appears to have always had Shirley's best interests at heart.

Sorry, but I don't buy it. That may have been Temple's edited memory from the Good Ship Lollipop, but mama Gertrude was first and foremost a stage mother, pushing and managing the kid's career from the age of 3 (or earlier). Mama herself was on the Fox payroll in order to keep the kid in line and working.

Sorry, but I don't buy it. That may have been Temple's edited memory from the Good Ship Lollipop, but mama Gertrude was first and foremost a stage mother, pushing and managing the kid's career from the age of 3 (or earlier). Mama herself was on the Fox payroll in order to keep the kid in line and working.

I also read Temple's autobiography not long ago (last November in fact). And she does go into great detail about how her parents swindled her. They took, and either lost through bad investments-- or kept because of their own greed, most of the money she had made at Fox and while working for Selznick in the 40s. That's why Shirley had to do television in the 50s, when she should have been set for life. Her parents badly mismanaged her career. She was a loyal daughter and loved her parents, but in the book, she does not hide her mother's or her father's human shortcomings.

The Temples did not always have their daughter's best interests at heart. They had their own selfish interests at heart. 

I know we're discussing Dorothy Dell here in the thread but I wanted to mention some of that. As for Dell, we have no way of knowing if she would have lasted long in movies. Not every actress of her generation had lengthy screen careers. In fact, many of them did not.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings