Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Edward Dmytryk film featured on Svengoolie

NipkowDisc

Glad this will be on tonight. I've been confused about three films (i.e. which is which): Weird Woman, Captive Wild Woman, and the one about the woman from Pittsburgh who's turned into a monster by a mad doctor in the African jungle. Weird Woman was on a couple of weeks ago, so I'm clear on that one; tonight I'll be reminded of which one Captive Wild Woman is; so it'll just be the title of the third one I need to figure out.

Captive Wild Woman with Aquanetta.

mad scientist john carradine turns a female gorilla into a babe. :)

Directed by Edward Dmytryk. :D

Could be true, or could be "urban legend" that Carradine's "mad scientist" role in this movie is what made WOODY ALLEN want him as the mad scientist in a segment of his EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT SEX(but were afraid to ask) parody.

Now, THERE'S a "Book-to-film" adaptation that's never( to my knowledge) been mentioned in any thread on the topic!

Also, what amuses me is that both MY MOTHER and EX WIFE used to use a HAIR SPRAY called "AQUA NET"  :lol:

Sepiatone

Glad this will be on tonight. I've been confused about three films (i.e. which is which): Weird Woman, Captive Wild Woman, and the one about the woman from Pittsburgh who's turned into a monster by a mad doctor in the African jungle. Weird Woman was on a couple of weeks ago, so I'm clear on that one; tonight I'll be reminded of which one Captive Wild Woman is; so it'll just be the title of the third one I need to figure out.

There was a sequel to Captive Wild Woman with Aquanetta called Jungle Woman and I believe the third film you're thinking of has to be that awful Voodoo Woman with Tom Conway aka. the falcon as the mad scientist.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051174/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

There was a sequel to Captive Wild Woman with Aquanetta called Jungle Woman and I believe the third film you're thinking of has to be that awful Voodoo Woman with Tom Conway aka. the falcon as the mad scientist.

Yes -- thanks! Voodoo Woman is indeed the film about the greedy, mean woman from Pittsburgh who goes to the African jungle in search of gold and ends up being the victim of an experiment. She's turned into a monster by the mad doctor, and there is that famous "?" at the end of the film. Haven't seen it in years! Marla English is the woman. Btw, in the context of these lovable movies, I don't think Voodoo Woman is so bad! 

• Like 1

did not care too much for captive wild woman. no, not at all. why did nurse strand hafta argue with evil doctor carradine?
she shoulda just gone to the cops. and all that clyde beatty lion tamer stuff really got tiresome. female gorilla shuffles back to the circus to carry doc adams out of a cage? why did he hafta go back in anyways? let the lions and tigers kill each other for magilla's sake. obviously Dmytryk does much better with vanilla ice cream and frozen strawberries than he does with gorillas.

next week is a real winner, the monolith monsters

a favorite of mine for decades. first saw it in 1973 on WOR Channel 9's four o'clock movie outta nyc.
I have loved the southwest ever since.
starts out real nice. dusky-voiced lola albright as a sweet schoolteacher drives her class out of town for some rock collecting.

the opening narration by paul frees is nice too. to me this has always represented the archetypical late 1950s american science fiction film.

the movie opens with a guy pouring water into his gas guzzling big ol' woody station wagon's radiator. then once back in town he immediately has to have a glass of water to rehydrate from the day's heat. ah, life in a southwestern town circa 1957.

no salt just water please. :D

I agree. I only caught the last half hour.  However I must admit that I'm actually beginning to like Svengoolie. I thought that "April Showers" song was fun!

I liked his comments about the casting of Milburn Stone in CAPTIVE WILD WOMAN. I always learn something from him when I watch his commentary. Svengoolie is easily the best classic movie host-- valuable information/trivia and charming shtick/entertainment value.

I liked his comments about the casting of Milburn Stone in CAPTIVE WILD WOMAN. I always learn something from him when I watch his commentary. Svengoolie is easily the best classic movie host-- valuable information/trivia and charming shtick/entertainment value.

yeah, the person in the gorilla suit wacking him in the face was fun too. :D

I too have been watching Svengoolie...and was shocked, I tell you shocked to know that Dmytryk directed this and never would have believed that Milburn Stone was in anything but Gunsmoke.

The movie is schlocky...there is no question but I love it just the same as I realize that the movies were made for the times...no TV and only radio and WWII blazing away. Who wouldn't have enjoyed an afternoon of the Ape Woman along with tigers and lions and a large ape.

Nice of Svengoolie to introduce us to the man behind the ape...and what his other credits are when it comes to disguises. Svengoolie reminds me of my childhood and seeing TV as it is was produced in the 50's on local stations.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings