Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

NxNW query....

Sepiatone

I've been meaning to ask this for a while.

In NORTH BY NORTHWEST,  Cary Grant is overseen at the police station after getting stopped for drunk driving after being force-fed a bottle of bourbon, by an officer named EMILE KLINGER.

Now, wasn't JAMIE FARR'S M*A*S*H character's name the SAME?  I know it was KLINGER, and I THOUGHT at a few points the FIRST name EMIL, or EMILE was also mentioned.

So, IF this is true, then I wonder, was it just COINCIDENCE, or did the writers of M*A*S*H "borrow" the nme from the movie?  'Cause they liked it?

Sepiatone

I've been meaning to ask this for a while.

In NORTH BY NORTHWEST,  Cary Grant is overseen at the police station after getting stopped for drunk driving after being force-fed a bottle of bourbon, by an officer named EMILE KLINGER.

Now, wasn't JAMIE FARR'S M*A*S*H character's name the SAME?  I know it was KLINGER, and I THOUGHT at a few points the FIRST name EMIL, or EMILE was also mentioned.

So, IF this is true, then I wonder, was it just COINCIDENCE, or did the writers of M*A*S*H "borrow" the nme from the movie?  'Cause they liked it?

Sepiatone

Farr's character was MAX Klinger. Incredibly, I had a distant uncle whose name was Max Klinger. Maybe they got Farr's character's name from HIM.

Farr's character was MAX Klinger. Incredibly, I had a distant uncle whose name was Max Klinger. Maybe they got Farr's character's name from HIM.

Sorry, my mistake then.  I thought I had heard him referred to as EMIL on the show a few times.

But then-----Farr might have done that on his own for some reason....like to imply his CHARACTER changed it to MAX for some reason...I don't know, But, I DO know....

I knew a guy in Jr. high we all knew as "MORRIE".  Some of us wondered if his name "Morrie" was derived from "Morton".  It turned out his ACTUAL first name was MARIEN!  After some great-grandfather from FRANCE or something...  HE chose the spelling "Morrie",  thinking it more masculine.  Actually, we didn't blame him when you consider how cruel KIDS are at that age!

Sepiatone

Actor John Bernadino portrayed the uncredited character of Glen Cove Police Sergeant Emile Klinger in North By Northwest.

Bernadino is often mentioned as having appeared in the silent Our Gang comedies as a child actor but has not been identified as having appeared in any of those existing films. After attending college at USC where he played baseball, he went on to have a distinguished career playing second base and short stop for the St. Louis Browns, the Cleveland Indians, and the Pittsburgh Pirates. His baseball career was interrupted by serving in our armed forces during WWII.

After injuring his leg during 1952 while playing for the Pirates, he retired from baseball and took up acting again. Throughout the 1950's and early 1960's he appeared in many movies and television series often as a supporting character actor type of role. In 1963 he was offered the role of Dr. Steve Hardy in the daytime soap opera, General Hospital where he stayed until his death of cancer in 1996.

I knew a guy in Jr. high we all knew as "MORRIE".  Some of us wondered if his name "Morrie" was derived from "Morton".  It turned out his ACTUAL first name was MARIEN!  After some great-grandfather from FRANCE or something...  HE chose the spelling "Morrie",  thinking it more masculine. 

NFL Hall of Famer Marion Motley:

z9Xpff0.jpg

I knew a guy in Jr. high we all knew as "MORRIE". Some of us wondered if his name "Morrie" was derived from "Morton". It turned out his ACTUAL first name was MARIEN! After some great-grandfather from FRANCE or something... HE chose the spelling "Morrie", thinking it more masculine.

Marion Morrison might have something to say about that.

And Marian is a Czech/Slovak man's name, as in hockey player Marian Hossa.