Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Star of the Month Suggestions

Bogie56

Richard Burton would be an interesting choice.

But my personal favourite would be to feature Max von Sydow who has an incredible array of performances in all types of films.  He is someone who deserves a Lifetime achievement Award from the Academy.

Has Sophia Loren ever been the Star of the Month? She's the last living actress ranked in the American Film Institute's 1999 survey of the Top 50 greatest screen legends. It would be nice to see more of her movies besides the same six or seven that TCM usually shows in honor of her birthday on September 20.

It's nice to know that she will attend the TCM Classic Film Festival in March and be interviewed by Robert Osborne for the next  "Live from..." special.

Has Sophia Loren ever been the Star of the Month? She's the last living female star ranked in the American Film Institute's survey of the Top 50 greatest screen legends. It would be nice to see more of her movies instead of the same six or seven that TCM usually shows in honor of her birthday on September 20.

It's nice to know that she will attend the next TCM Classic Film Festival and be interviewed by Robert Osborne for the next  "Live from..." special.

Loren was SOTM in June of 2008.      As for the AFI survey of Top 50 screen legends;    Well at least the AFI didn't call it the top 50 greatest film actresses,  because it is a joke that Olivia DeHavilland didn't make the list.   

Loren was SOTM in June of 2008.      As for the AFI survey of Top 50 screen legends;    Well at least the AFI didn't call it the top 50 greatest film actresses,  because it is a joke that Olivia DeHavilland didn't make the list.   

Actually, there were 25 actresses and 25 actors -- all of whom were making movies before 1950. It wouldn't surprise me if De Havilland makes the list when AFI expands it with another 50 stars who were in films before and after 1950.

Actually, there were 25 actresses and 25 actors -- all of whom were making movies before 1950. It wouldn't surprise me if De Havilland makes the list when AFI expands it with another 50 stars who were in films before and after 1950.

Ok,  that is the same AFI list I feel is a joke.    For De Havilland to not make the top 25 when actresses like Ava Gardner did is a crime.  Hey,  I'm a fan of Ava but she wasn't in the same class as Olivia when it comes to acting chops.    Only a few actresses had the type of run Olivia had after she won her lawsuit against Warner Brothers.  

Ok,  that is the same AFI list I feel is a joke.    For De Havilland to not make the top 25 when actresses like Ava Gardner did is a crime.  Hey,  I'm a fan of Ava but she wasn't in the same class as Olivia when it comes to acting chops.    Only a few actresses had the type of run Olivia had after she won her lawsuit against Warner Brothers.  

Has Ava Gardner ever been Star of the Month? 

• 3 weeks later...

TCM did show some Durbin films after she died in 2013.   TCM has a hard time getting Universal films and most Durbin films are from that studio.

TCM aired one Deanna Durbin picture in late December 2013 when they did the end of the year 'In Memoriam' spotlight. They showed IT STARTED WITH EVE. Before that, it had been several years since they broadcast any Universal-controlled Durbin films.

Sometimes they do schedule IT'S A DATE (an unrestored version of it). MGM bought the rights to this film and remade it as NANCY GOES TO RIO with Jane Powell and Ann Sothern. So it's the only Durbin film in the Turner Library.

• 3 months later...

RICHARD WIDMARK - One of my all-time favorite actors who always comes off real no matter if the material stinks. He's one of the most underrated film actors and I have wanted to see him as Star of the Month or even as one of the actors featured in Summer Under The Stars. Really disappointed not to have seen him represented in Summer of Darkness. There are too many wonderful Richard Widmark films not to have him represented as Star of the Month such as Panic In The Streets, Time Limit, Kiss of Death, Road House, Yellow Sky (I consider it more film noir than western genre), Garden of Evil, Pickup on South Street, No Way Out and The Bedford Incident (two of the films he co-starred with Sidney Poitier), Madigan, Run For The Sun, Warlock, Down To The Sea In Ships, A Prize of Gold, Alvarez Kelly, Death of a Gunfighter, Backlash, The Street With No Name, The Last Wagon. TCM would make me very happy if they featured Richard Widmark as Star of the Month. I hope that they can negotiate with Twentieth Century Fox to obtain more of his films.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Andrews is one of the most underrated actors of his generation.

I agree. I do not think he was the best of his generation, but he was way above average-- and like you say, considerably underrated.

I'm also a fan of his brother Steve Forrest.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings