Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Unlikely Romantic Pairings

bhryun

Last night I was watching Bathing Beauty (1944) and thinking, Esther Williams and Red Skelton? What an unlikely couple. Come to think of it, there have been quite a few screen pairings over the years that were, um, unconvincing. A few that come to mind are:

George Arliss and Bette Davis in The Man Who Played God (1932) She was very young, and he looked like a mummy with a bad toupee.

Ann Miller and Jules Munshin in On The Town (1949) Munshin and Sinatra should have swapped roles.

Gene Kelly and Esther Williams in Take Me Out to the Ball Game (1949) Zero chemistry.

John Travolta and Lily Tomlin in Moment by Moment (1978) More zero chemistry. What were they thinking?

Elvis Presley and Mary Tyler Moore in A Change of Habit (1969)

Ditto, ditto.

Can you think of any others?

I know I have noticed a few that would work in this catagory. Unfortunately since the pairing was not working in the film - I did care for the film. Thus out of sight out of mind. I'll try to think of them and come back to this topic. I do remember thinking on several films "wow, these two just do mix"

Although I realize that ultimately these couples were appropriate to the storyline, I found the following three a little odd:

*Jane Fonda and Tony Perkins in "Tall Story"

*Susan Strasberg and Henry Fonda in "Stagestruck"

*Dorothy McGuire and Clifton Webb in "Three Coins In A Fountain"