Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who is this actor?

mglenpaddock

Judging by the look of the photo, the style of dress, and compared to some of the interesting photo questions on the other subforum, I would think might be a silent film star.  All the photos I have seen from the era of the stars suggested so far look much more contemporary than this photo.  But I have been wrong before.

This guy looks more like Robert Donat - with a haircut. It's difficult to find other photos of Donat's toothy smile to make comparisons, but there is more than a glancing resemblance.

that's who I was thinking of when I said Lew Ayres. I couldn't place the name. that's imo Robert Donat. :)

In the bottom right corner is a pair of initials, plus the number 6.  They are too small to see here, but if the OP could post the initials, which should be the actor's, it might help ID him. 

That's almost certainly an ID number put there by the photographer for his records

Yeah, it might be.  It's just that I've seen many photos from the 40s that have much better contrast, far better resolution, etc - as were often taken of stars.  So I'd say it could be either.  But since he is so unknown...

BTW I'd say he looks the most like Lew Ayers out of all the suggestions so far no match.

Yeah, it might be.  It's just that I've seen many photos from the 40s that have much better contrast, far better resolution, etc - as were often taken of stars.  So I'd say it could be either.  But since he is so unknown...

BTW I'd say he looks the most like Lew Ayers out of all the suggestions so far no match.

Its character actor Edward Brophy who appeared in many WB films in the 30s and 40s..  Disney also used his voice in the classic animated film DUMBO. 

Actually, I think the guy looks a lot more like band leader Harry James than he does either Lew Ayers or Robert Donat.

(...but I doubt it's Betty Grable's ex-husband, either)

Are you talking about the original photo that starts this thread?     Of course the avatar of moviecollectoroh is Edward Brophy,  but that fine character actor doesn't appear to be the guy in the original photo. 

Its character actor Edward Brophy who appeared in many WB films in the 30s and 40s..  Disney also used his voice in the classic animated film DUMBO. 

Ah HA! So EdgeCliffe here has seemed to figured out this guy's identity while I was posting my "Harry James" line.

(...good work, Edgy!)

It's not Donat, it's not Ayers, it's not Brophy, it's not James, it's not Dana Andrew's twin brother (that comparison is extremely weird). And it sure as hell ain't René Descartes.

I think it's just some guy whose picture was used in newly purchased wallets around 1940 ... or maybe not.

I know well what every actor looks like suggested in this thread so far and, believe me folks, that actor in the photo doesn't look like any of them. Lew Ayres? Robert Preston? Dana Andrews' twin brother? Yikes!! And I doubt that Betty Grable ever hugged that guy.

Unfortunately, though, outside of telling everyone nice try but you're wrong, I can't bring anything more to this party either because I don't have a clue who that actor is in the photo since I've never seen him before.

Maybe he was just a guy who sent his picture to Hollywood agents a lot. If so, it sure didn't appear to have done him much good. ;)

It's not Donat, it's not Ayers, it's not Brophy, it's not James, it's not Dana Andrew's twin brother (that comparison is extremely weird). And it sure as hell ain't René Descartes.

I think it's just some guy whose picture was used in newly purchased wallets around 1940 ... or maybe not.

No Donat.. I'll bet you wouldn't say that to your local constable.

Interesting. He looks like a cross between either:

Robert Donat/David Niven/Dana Andrews

Or:

(a skinnier) Russ Tamblyn/Tim Holt

It looks like a studio publicity photo, but you dont know which one he worked for.

Have you tried Google Image Search? If you upload the photo digitally, you can select it, drop it into the search engine, and see what pops up.

Have you tried Google Image Search? If you upload the photo digitally, you can select it, drop it into the search engine, and see what pops up.

For the technically challenged like myself, could you or someone else explain exactly, step-by-step, how to do this. Is it actually possible to upload a pix off your computer hard drive onto Google Images? Or am I misinterpreting these comments?

Archived