Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anyone Planning to Watch the Saturday Night Live 40th Anniversary Special?

misswonderly3

I am.

I've followed the show, on

and off, for years.

I used to watch it more in the earlier days but like you, I have followed it off and on through the years. I did not know she died. I must live under a rock.

I think I saw her do a Nancy Reagan skit once and the Kathy Lee Gifford segment with the monkey singing about evolution-"I did not come from you"(or something along those lines) to the monkey.

I am more familiar with the shows with Dan Aykroyd, Chevy Chase, Gilda Radner.

I thought the show was pretty good.  I'm still laughing over the 'Celebrity Jeopardy' spoof, especially Sean Connery picking categories like The Rapists (instead of Therapists) and Le **** Now (instead of Let It Snow).  I thought the tribute they did to former cast members and technical personnel was good, and they had plenty of star power either in the audience or on stage.

It was fun, on the whole.

I have no idea why they gave any air time to Miley Cyrus and Kanye West. Neither of them had any kind of history with SNL, other than they'd appeared (once or twice at most) as the musical guest.

The time their performances took up - maybe 10 or 15 minutes altogether?- would have been better used airing clips from old and beloved sketches from the show's 40 year history, which is, after all, what the event was celebrating.

While such clips were shown, it was never in the sketch's entirety, more like a few seconds. I realize they couldn't have nothing but a 3 hour conglomeration of past sketches; much of the show was about acknowledging past and present cast members live.

But, since comedy was and is essentially what Saturday Night Live has always been about, I think it would have behooved them to at least pick one or two of the funniest and most famous sketches from each era - maybe about 5 or 6 altogether - and work them into the show's 3 1/2 hour airing time.

That 40 year "reunion" anniversary "celebration" should have been called "SNL 25".  As it seemed to be more of a "hard sell" approach to try and convince people that the last 25 years of the show WEREN'T as unfunny as they really were.( or, funnier than they were).

It seemed that every now and then someone would remember to throw in a second or two of some clip form the first five-six seasons in "don't blink or you'll miss it" fashion.

And that simple minded "The Californians" sketch appeared to be a reminder of how UNfunny the show had become over the last 30 years!  Even BETTY WHITE couldn't save it!

Plus, I'm also disappointed that they "chickened out" during the "sports on SNL" segment and didn't show any clips from the show that OJ SIMPSON hosted back in the '70's.

Not enough LARAINE NEWMAN.  No mention of how often ELLIOT GOULD hosted the show.  In fact HE hosted the FIRST show when the entire "Not ready For Prime Time Players"  cast was replaced in 1980 (or was it '81?)

Anyway, it would have been better if the show's history had been presented in clips of classic sketches and done chronologically, rather than the "leapfrog" method that kept being played by the casts of the last 20-25 years.  That Chevy Chase-Richard Pryor "Word association test" sketch WAS "classic"  That was when the show didn't aim for the lower common denominators.

Plus, that "film" segment never got around to the irony filled short film by Schiller in which an "old" JOHN BELUSHI, in a fine make-up job, plays the "last surviving member"  visiting the "Not Ready For Prime Time Cemetery"! which ends with HIM, the FIRST cast member to die, dancing on all their graves! 

Of course, this is just MY opinion....

(Just ignore my thread in "General discussions" if you wish...as most of y'all do anyways!)

Sepiatone

Thank you, Sepia, for transferring your original post in the SNL thread you started in General Discussions to this thread.

However, it's made no difference, the SNL thread in GD is off and running.

I must be honest, there's a part of me (the "pay attention to me " part, I suppose) that's experiencing a frustrated, foot-stomping moment about this. And it's not as though those posters on the "General Discussions" SNL thread never come to the "Off Topic Chit Chat" forum.

From now on I think I'll take darkblue's advice and just stick any thread I want to start in General Discussions. (I'm not likely to start a politically focussed thread, but if I did, that's where I'd make the exception and post it here.)

misswonderlytoo, I read where the show was watched by 23 million viewers. Obviously it has fans out there. I think I will go onto netflix and watch SNL reruns. I haven't kept up with it but I love Tina Fey and the other lady (I totally lost track of her name and I just had it!). The later episodes were dissed by many but I'm going to give it a shot. Thank you for bringing this up and stating your opinion about the newer shows. ☺

misswonderlytoo, I read where the show was watched by 23 million viewers. Obviously it has fans out there. I think I will go onto netflix and watch SNL reruns. I haven't kept up with it but I love Tina Fey and the other lady (I totally lost track of her name and I just had it!). The later episodes were dissed by many but I'm going to give it a shot. Thank you for bringing this up and stating your opinion about the newer shows. ☺

Well rumor has it that 15 million of those viewers can to see Miley Cyrus and Kanye West.   

Which answers the question of why there were featured.    :lol:

I came home and tuned in while Miley was singing, but stuck with it.  I agree that her and Kanye West's numbers could have been cut in favor of more clips.  I'd have loved to have seen more of the earlier cast members. One of the funniest lines, I thought, was Mike Myers'  comment about Lorne Michaels, "Sure it got a laugh, but was it the right laugh?" or something like that. 

I wonder if it will be around to celebrate 50 years?