Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Paulio

Louis Jourdan has passed away!!

So sad to hear the news! I'll always remember him as a sophisticated Bond villain in "Octopussy" (1983). TCM is showing "Gigi" in the early morning hours of Tuesday, February 17. It's too bad they didn't have it scheduled tomorrow in prime time.

I didnt know he was still alive! (Not saying that to belittle him in any way though- just, wow.)

he was a great singer and a damned handsome man, and a great presence in films.

Also much worth mentioning: "letter from an unknown woman" (1948) and the version of "Dracula" he did for the BBC in 1977.

TCM is showing "Gigi" in the early morning hours of Tuesday, February 17. It's too bad they didn't have it scheduled in prime time on Monday.

actually: no it's not a shame. I'm so sick of "Gigi" rght now I could plotz. It's shown, like a hundred and eighteen times over the last 6 years.

Undt to be honest with you: I really don't even like "Gigi" even one little bit. And I'm sure "Gigi" will get the 8 o'clock time slot for the inevitable tribute

actually: no it's not a shame. I'm so sick of "Gigi" rght now I could plotz. It's shown, like a hundred and eighteen times over the last 6 years.

Undt to be honest with you: I really don't even like "Gigi" even one little bit anymore

and I'm sure it will get the 8 o'clock time slot for the inevitsble tribute.

TCM has shown the short on letterboxing so many times, I pretty much know all the lyrics to "The Night They Invented Champagne"!

TCM has shown the short on letterboxing so many times, I pretty much know all the lyrics to "The Night They Invented Champagne"!

"but since the world began/ no woman or a man/ has ever been as happy as we aaaaaare toooooonight!"

(Bum-dum!)

I'd love to see them air Hitchcock's THE PARADINE CASE, where Louis Jourdan plays a shady character on the witness stand. That's one of my favorite movies of his.

apparently he died on Valentines Day- which for some reason seems particularly apt. (one of the screen's great lovers and all.)

I'm really annoyed, though, that no major news outlets have reported it at all.

It''s pretty shabby the way a lot of these famous movie stars and classic personalities have made absolutely no waves in the news when they passed.

Undt to be honest with you: I really don't even like "Gigi" even one little bit. And I'm sure "Gigi" will get the 8 o'clock time slot for the inevitable tribute

Yes, and, at the risk of sounding cold, but I'm already wondering what will be bumped from the schedule to make room for GIGI on said tribute. 

I hope MADAME BOVARY is aired as part of Jourdan's tribute.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.  One of my favorite actors.  Even though he has been in retirement for sometime, I'll still miss him.

Sorry to hear about Mr. Jourdan.  Irma la Douce, which he narrated, will be shown on TCM on March 22. TCM could keep that as part of a Louis Jourdan tribute, and schedule a few other Jourdan films for that day.  They could move Fanny, which is scheduled after Irma, and replace it with some similar Hollywood French film, like Can-Can. That shouldn't upset anyone, and it would be a nice way to pay tribute. The Happy Time (1952) would be another nice choice.

Btw -- LornaHF -- whenever someone dies, you say you thought they were dead already. Well, I exaggerate, but at least three times!  Maybe you should address your lack of knowledge about the still living but venerable crowd! Retirees do not always keep themselves in the news, after all.

Yes, and, at the risk of sounding cold, but I'm already wondering what will be bumped from the schedule to make room for GIGI on said tribute.

You heartless monster.

Sorry to hear about Mr. Jourdan.

Btw -- LHF -- whenever someone dies, you say you thought they were dead already. Well, I exaggerate, but at least three times! Maybe you should address your lack of knowledge about the living.

I know, right?

What's even worse is that I do it in real life all the time.

When I go to the visitation or the funeral for someone I knew and thought was dead already, and it's time for the receiving line and you have to say something to the family; I'm always like "oh my god: I'm so sorry for your loss but I totally thought he/she had been dead for, like, at least five years. Where's the cake?"

and then they usually ask me to leave before I can find out whether or not there's any cake....

anyway my maxim is: if you haven't seen anyone in a long time, always assume they're dead- that way you're never disappointed.

I don't believe I've ever seen a movie with Louis Jourdan. Would someone be able to suggest a few non-musicals please?

There's "The V.I.P.s" (1963), in which he plays a character who comes between a married couple played by Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor. It's scheduled to be aired on TCM on May 11th. And as I mentioned earlier, he plays a charming villain in the 1983 James Bond movie "Octopussy."

I don't believe I've ever seen a movie with Louis Jourdan. Would someone be able to suggest a few non-musicals please?

Try The Paradine Case (1947). He's got a small part, but the move itself is worth the watch.

On the lighter side.. there's Swamp Thing (1982)

• Like 1

Oh, no, not Gaston!  It's only February!  Anyway, it goes without saying that he had a great talent (that I feel was underused), and I'm going to miss him greatly.  He was a very effortless actor, and I'll never forget that trademark crooked smile with the raised eyebrow, which I find extremely attractive.   I also know that there was some confusion about his actual year of birth; most sources say 1921, but I've also seen 1917 and 1920.  Even though I adored him in Gigi, I loved seeing him in roles that allowed him to stretch his dramatic chops more, like Julie (for all its histrionics), The Swan, The Happy Time, and my personal favorite of his (along with Gigi), Letter From An Unknown Woman, which was probably one of his best roles.  

And with that, I want to leave everyone with his appearance on "What's My Line?", which also happens to be one of the most hilarious.  His accent was perfect, and actually stumped the panel for a time.    

"You explained too much!!!!"  

Oh, I wish I could find that scene so that I could upload it.  But y'all (hopefully) know what I'm referring to.   :D

I also find it very ironic that he passed away on Valentine's Day.

I read somewhere that Louis Jourdan had an affair with Doris Day.  Only one leading man left for Day: Kirk Douglas.