Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Universal--Its time to release SWEET CHARITY on bluray

TODD-AO

I wonder what the cost is to make a film available on Bluray?      To me the only films that should be on Bulray or any format are films where there is enough demand that processing cost can be covered  (at a minimum). 

All films should be on bluray.

All films should be on bluray.

To me it is unreasonable to expect the owners of films to pay to make them available on bluray if these owners can't at least break even.

So to me one shouldn't be disappointed with the owners of these films for not making them available on bluray but instead the general public for not caring if they are on bluray (i.e. NOT willing to pay for a bluray version).

Note as a fan of 50s jazz there is a lot of material I wish was available but sadly due to the lack of interest in this music by the general public I can't expect a for-profit company to make this music available unless there is a legit business reason.

I wonder what the cost is to make a film available on Bluray?      To me the only films that should be on Bulray or any format are films where there is enough demand that processing cost can be covered  (at a minimum). 

There's a lot more to releasing a film on Blu-Ray than just the manufacturing costs.

The legal issues can be almost endless. Does the studio's agreeement with the movie's original producers give them the right to release it? Does the performers' union contracts require that they be paid for it? Are the music rights cleared for a Blu-Ray release? What about the original author, does the studio have the right to "publish" his work in this manner? It goes on and on and can take years to clear.

Often, studios simply feel that the only ones who'll make any money off it are the lawyers and they just let it sit in the vault.

Another consideration is if the film had a previous VHS release. Many times, a film didn't do well on home video and the studio won't take a chance on it again.

I've only scratched the surface. That's why studios have large legal departments.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings