Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I haven't been able to read much of That Girl and Phil this week, but I will say that I do like the book's short chapters.

Today I was able to read Chapter 3 ("Dressing Phil"), which desribes how Marlo enlisted Desmond's help to overhaul Phil's wardrobe while Donahue was away in London recording some shows.

His entire home and work wardrobe was removed and replaced with items that Marlo found more appropriate. Desmond notes that he was pleased with the choices he made for Phil but that Marlo took all the credit since she was the "star" and he was the "help." According to Desmond, Phil went along because he wasn't concerned much about his appearance one way or the other.

One of Desmond's comments from the "First Meeting" chapter that I didn't like was his remarks about Marlo's secretary. According to Desmond, although she was "professional,"  the secretary lacked "certain social skills." Desmond, however, does not elaborate on what skills that she lacked. Without giving the reader any specifics, that klnd of remark comes off as a personal jab (the backhanded "professional" compliment notwithstanding). 

Yes, I've been too busy to read the book this week as well. There's a lot more better stuff ahead! LOL. I'm half way through...........I plan to read more this wknd.

I haven't been able to read much of That Girl and Phil this week, but I will say that I do like the book's short chapters.

Today I was able to read Chapter 3 ("Dressing Phil"), which desribes how Marlo enlisted Desmond's help to overhaul Phil's wardrobe while Donahue was away in London recording some shows.

His entire home and work wardrobe was removed and replaced with items that Marlo found more appropriate. Desmond notes that he was pleased with the choices he made for Phil but that Marlo took all the credit since she was the "star" and he was the "help." According to Desmond, Phil went along because he wasn't concerned much about his appearance one way or the other.

One of Desmond's comments from the "First Meeting" chapter that I didn't like was his remarks about Marlo's secretary. According to Desmond, although she was "professional,"  the secretary lacked "certain social skills." Desmond, however, does not elaborate on what skills that she lacked. Without giving the reader any specifics, that klnd of remark comes off as a personal jab (the backhanded "professional" compliment notwithstanding). 

Coincidentally, Stevie Wonder's "That Girl" came up on my ipod this morning.

Gaaaa... I really want to read this thread in detail but I don't want to spoil my enjoyment of the book, if it ever gets to my mailbox!!

I dont think itll ruin anything for you to read the thread. I dont think anyone reveals that- in the end- Marlo rips off the rubber mask and its Gayle King, sent on a mission from Oprah to take out Phil.

Oops.

• Like 2

I dont think itll ruin anything for you to read the thread. I dont think anyone reveals that- in the end- Marlo rips off the rubber mask and its Gayle King, sent on a mission from Oprah to take out Phil.

Oops.

LMREO!!!

The author doesnt name drop much. It's all about Marlo.

It's interesting that Desmond says he wasn't familiar with Marlo Thomas before he started working with her while he was aware of Phil Donahue.

Desmond knew there was a famous florist in the NYC area named Marlo so he though perhaps "Marlo Thomas" was the Marlo from Flowers By Marlo.

He says THAT GIRL to his knowledge did not air in the UK (where he grew up).     

LOL. too bad there wasnt a sequel. I wonder what happened in that household in the ensuing years! Think Desmond only worked there 3-4 years. And that was decades ago! Doubt the atmosphere improved. :D

Okay - I finally got the Marlo book in the mail last night.  I'm already about halfway done!!  It's terrific - entertaining and even well-written.  I'm on the section past the Christmas "celebrations", up to the part with the laundress.

Hm.  She is certainly "That" girl, alright...

Okay - I finally got the Marlo book in the mail last night.  I'm already about halfway done!!  It's terrific - entertaining and even well-written.  I'm on the section past the Christmas "celebrations", up to the part with the laundress.

Hm.  She is certainly "That" girl, alright...

LOL. I'm a little ahead of you. Nothing too exciting right now, but he's always funny! When you think he only worked there 3-4 years. Makes you wonder what happened AFTER he left! Never a dull moment in THAT place! :D

LOL. I'm a little ahead of you. Nothing too exciting right now, but he's always funny! When you think he only worked there 3-4 years. Makes you wonder what happened AFTER he left! Never a dull moment in THAT place! :D

Last night I was all set to watch an old movie, too, but once I got started with the book, my plans were set until I went to bed for the night.  ;)

Interesting takes on her mother.  At the one dinner, Marlo throws a fit and everyone feels bad but her mother sits there enjoying the meal and smiling.  I don't think she had a hearing problem - I guess she condones her daughter's behavior.

By the way, another good "dish" book is called "The Best of Friends: Martha and Me", about Martha Stewart.  Another witch on wheels with a lot of money.  Not to detract from Marlo, but as they say, there's more where that came from...

Last night I was all set to watch an old movie, too, but once I got started with the book, my plans were set until I went to bed for the night.  ;)

Interesting takes on her mother.  At the one dinner, Marlo throws a fit and everyone feels bad but her mother sits there enjoying the meal and smiling.  I don't think she had a hearing problem - I guess she condones her daughter's behavior.

By the way, another good "dish" book is called "The Best of Friends: Martha and Me", about Martha Stewart.  Another witch on wheels with a lot of money.  Not to detract from Marlo, but as they say, there's more where that came from...

LOL. Thanks for the recommendation. It's a hard book to put down, so I'm trying to space it out as I dont have dishy replacement waiting in the wings! Now I do! :D

LOL. Thanks for the recommendation. It's a hard book to put down, so I'm trying to space it out as I dont have dishy replacement waiting in the wings! Now I do! :D

Another true 'can't miss' book is called "Trumped" about Donald Trump.  It was written by his former employee.  That one is much better than the Martha book, although it's out of print.  I came across it by accident at someone's house one day, and as soon as I started to read I couldn't let go of it.  I hadn't finished it, and I had to give it back, so when I got back home I ordered it on amazon, lol...

Another true 'can't miss' book is called "Trumped" about Donald Trump.  It was written by his former employee.  That one is much better than the Martha book, although it's out of print.  I came across it by accident at someone's house one day, and as soon as I started to read I couldn't let go of it.  I hadn't finished it, and I had to give it back, so when I got back home I ordered it on amazon, lol...

LOL. Unsure if I could stomach reading about The Donald, but I'll keep it in mind. Thankfully, my local library does have the Martha book, so I didnt have to buy it (like Marlo) and its on its way!!! :D

LOL. Unsure if I could stomach reading about The Donald, but I'll keep it in mind. Thankfully, my local library does have the Martha book, so I didnt have to buy it (like Marlo) and its on its way!!! :D

I paid one cent for the Marlo book on amazon.  It was a good investment.

The Donald book is laughable, really.  It's worth trying to stomach.  It's good to read up on him now that he's thrown his hat in the ring to run for President (as of yesterday)...

The Donald book is laughable, really.  It's worth trying to stomach.  It's good to read up on him now that he's thrown his hat in the ring to run for President (as of yesterday)...

Yeah, I paid a buck for Marlo (plus shipping!) Well worth it. Maybe I can stomach it (LOL) if I find it cheap enough. Hopefully my local library has it.........

It won't be so laughable if he's elected.