Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I paid one cent for the Marlo book on amazon.  It was a good investment.

The Donald book is laughable, really.  It's worth trying to stomach.  It's good to read up on him now that he's thrown his hat in the ring to run for President (as of yesterday)...

Will definitely provide a lot of laughs and fodder for late night comedians!

I finished the Marlo Thomas book last night.  Great read.  Even though it "dishes on a star", I could tell that it wasn't malicious gossip for its own sake.  The message was, "Be nice to the people who make you look good." (Or even, just be nice to people in general!)

Barbara Walters doesn't come out smelling like a rose, either...

I loved it when the majordomo got angry enough to shout back at Marlo, "Who are you, a two-bit television actress, to speak like that to me!"  Lol...  But Marlo knew how to manipulate in just the right way and put on her contrite little girl act, complete with tears, to wear people down.  Gross...

(Er, I'm not sure what all of this had to do with Gloria Swanson and Sunset Boulevard, but that must have been 9 pages ago...)

I finished the Marlo Thomas book last night.  Great read.  Even though it "dishes on a star", I could tell that it wasn't malicious gossip for its own sake.  The message was, "Be nice to the people who make you look good." (Or even, just be nice to people in general!)

I loved it when the majordomo got angry enough to shout back at Marlo, "Who are you, a two-bit television actress, to speak like that to me!"  Lol...  But Marlo knew how to manipulate in just the right way and put on her contrite little girl act, complete with tears, to wear people down.  Gross...

(Er, I'm not sure what all of this had to do with Gloria Swanson and Sunset Boulevard, but that must have been 9 pages ago...)

Marlo Thomas is the Norma Desmond of the television world. She lives in a Marlo-centric world and everyone else is just living in it. Phil Donahue is her butler/husband who keeps the facade up that she's still relevant. Lol.

There, I brought it all back to Sunset Boulevard.

• Like 1

Marlo Thomas is the Norma Desmond of the television world. She lives in a Marlo-centric world and everyone else is just living in it. Phil Donahue is her butler/husband who keeps the facade up that she's still relevant. Lol.

That tidies things, thank you!

Oh, and the majordomo's name is Desmond!  Riiiiight.....

LOL. We have digressed a bit. But I think there is a little of Norma in Marlo. LOL! Yeah, I read that bit about Walters!  I AGREE. he just lays it on the line. This is how it was. What's sad about it all, is I doubt Marlo has changed since then, she just makes her revolving door servants sign confidentially agreements now!!!

LOL!!!

LOL. We have digressed a bit. But I think there is a little of Norma in Marlo. LOL! Yeah, I read that bit about Walters!  I AGREE. he just lays it on the line. This is how it was. What's sad about it all, is I doubt Marlo has changed since then, she just makes her revolving door servants sign confidentially agreements now!!!

I wonder whether she can do spit-takes as well as her dad.

Haven't read this entire thread, does anyone know if SUNSET BLVD (1950) is going to be aired as an "Essential" sometime this year?

They keep showing excerpts from it in the Essentials previews, and I can't remember the last time (if ever) TCM has shown it, so it certainly looks like its overdue for a showing?

Haven't read this entire thread, does anyone know if SUNSET BLVD (1950) is going to be aired as an "Essential" sometime this year?

They keep showing excerpts from it in the Essentials previews, and I can't remember the last time (if ever) TCM has shown it, so it certainly looks like its overdue for a showing?

It's been shown many times by TCM, possibly even as an Essential.

SUNSET BLVD is airing on TCM as an Essential on December 5.

It's a been quite awhile since this movie has aired on TCM.

I think it was last aired as part of the Essentials when Alec Baldwin was the co-host.

• Like 1

That tidies things, thank you!

Oh, and the majordomo's name is Desmond!  Riiiiight.....

Did you read the paperback version, Eugenia? He had a bunch of funny anecdotes about incidents that happened after the book came out. Cant believe Marlo and her servants would call and pester him about stuff months after he left the job! And he'd keep getting calls when the security alarms went off for 6 months! He finally called Phil and he got him off the call list. UNREAL.

It's interesting that neitrher Marlo or Phil ever sued Desmond for libel.

I wonder if his name was still on the "call ist" when the book came out.

You only have a solid cause of action for libel if what they said is not true.

SUNSET BLVD is airing on TCM as an Essential on December 5.

I think it was last aired as part of the Essentials when Alec Baldwin was the co-host.

Id love to see it as one of the Fathom Big Screen events. I love those! This year they've done/will do Rear Window, Jaws, Double Indemnity, Grease (meh), Psycho, Dracula (1931), Roamn Holiday and Miracle on 34th St. 

It's interesting that neitrher Marlo or Phil ever sued Desmond for libel.

I wonder if his name was still on the "call ist" when the book came out.

LOL. Am sure they didnt want more dirty laundry aired in court.

Given the details I saw with regard to Marlo and the discharged, pregnant laundress, it might quite possibly be just that, and in the most literal sense of the term.

I'd forgotten about that. LMREO!

SUNSET BLVD is airing on TCM as an Essential on December 5 (2015).

My (2015) addition to the above

Thank you very much Holden for that input.

I really like this movie, another great one from Billy Wilder, and likewise, another great performance by William Holden, and all others.

It always amazes me how Wilder, a native Austrian, was able to write such right-on American dialogue in his scripts.

But, maybe I shouldn't be surprized, at that. Being from somewhere else sometimes allows a person to better focus on little nuances and inflections that others overlook, or take for granted.

Regardless, sure don't want to wait another 4-5 years before TCM shows it again.

DGF said:

Okay, my bad, I see that it was aired on TCM in Februray 2011, over 4 years ago.

And maybe before 2008. So I guess that must be a lot.... for some.

• Like 1

Thank you very much Holden for that input.

I really like this movie, another great one from Billy Wilder, and likewise, another great performance by William Holden, and all others.

It always amazes me how Wilder, a native Austrian, was able to write such right-on American dialogue in his scripts.

But, maybe I shouldn't be surprized, at that. Being from somewhere else sometimes allows a person to better focus on little nuances and inflections that others overlook, or take for granted.

Regardless, sure don't want to wait another 4-5 years before TCM shows it again.

DGF said:

Okay, my bad, I see that it was aired on TCM in Februray 2011, over 4 years ago.

And maybe before 2008. So I guess that must be a lot.... for some.

Stephan55, it's not your bad.

You were correct.

SUNSET BLVD is shown very rarely on TCM.

• Like 1