Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Stephan55, it's not your bad.

You were correct.

SUNSET BLVD is shown very rarely on TCM.

SUNSET BLVD. has  been available on Netflix for a while, I watched it just last night, Streaming services like that are really shaking up the availability of some movies to cable channels like TCM.  At one time, cable channels were snatching up movies and keeping them away from local broadcast stations, now streaming is doing the same to them.

• Like 1

Gloria Swanson knew that one day a musical will be based on Sunset.  She perused several script concepts before her death and even went as far as trying one out at a reading.  None of them worked out until Andrew Lloyd Weber came along but of course Gloria was long dead by then.

• Like 1

Gloria Swanson knew that one day a musical will be based on Sunset.  She perused several script concepts before her death and even went as far as trying one out at a reading.  None of them worked out until Andrew Lloyd Weber came along but of course Gloria was long dead by then.

There was a score written (or at least some songs) back in the 50s. And I think Gloria even recorded a demo but Paramount wouldnt give the rights, so the project died on the vine........

There was a score written (or at least some songs) back in the 50s. And I think Gloria even recorded a demo but Paramount wouldnt give the rights, so the project died on the vine........

Here's a clip of Gloria Swanson performing one of the songs from the proposed musical adaptation.

Her singing voice is good but the song itself is certainly no "With One Look" or "As If We Never Said Goodbye."    

• Like 2

Here's a clip of Gloria Swanson performing one of the songs from the proposed musical adaptation.

Her singing voice is good but the song itself is certainly no "With One Look" or "As If We Never Said Goodbye."    

Yes, I knew there was a recording out there somewhere!

Yeah, and Bela Lugosi's singing voice there isn't all that bad EITHER!!! ;)

The movie is much better than the TV dinners.

Yep, and thus the very reason OUR family always chose Banquet TV dinners from the frozen food aisle back in the day. ;)

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...
On 2/16/2015 at 7:23 AM, newclassicfilmfan1 said:

"Movies" Network showed Sunset Boulevard a few time last night...  What a great film.  I hadn't seen it in years.   William Holden should have won Best Actor award.   I think Swanson looked a bit older than 50 in the film.    Watching William Holden emerge from the pool was the best scene of all.   I think he must have been the most handsome actor I've seen....and that voice.....they don't make 'em like that anymore.

I think Gloria was around fifty when the film was made and though she did not look decrepit at all, I think women of fifty years now probably look quite a bit more youthful. Holden was quite fetching in the film, and looked good dripping wet. Nobody here turn me in for sexual harrassment or inappropriate sexist language please!

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

I think Gloria was around fifty when the film was made and though she did not look decrepit at all, I think women of fifty years now probably look quite a bit more youthful. Holden was quite fetching in the film, and looked good dripping wet. Nobody here turn me in for sexual harrassment or inappropriate sexist language please!

I can't turn you in when I agree with everything you said about Holden.  :)

Gloria was 53 (according to HALLIWELL'S FILMGOER'S COMPANION).  I think she looked fine and I felt that way at pre-50 years old and post-50 years old.  As Bill Holden tells her, "There's nothing wrong with being 50."  A great movie and one of my all-time favorites.  1950 was an excellent year for films with three of my favorites:  SUNSET BLVD., ALL ABOUT EVE and ASPHALT JUNGLE.  Maybe even better than 1939!

On 2/16/2015 at 10:52 AM, TomJH said:

I think that Sunset Boulevard was the most important film of William Holden's career. It made him a true front ranked star after years of being an actor slogging through a series of largely forgettable films (and performances).

Holden, starting with this film, became one of the great cynical anti-heroes of the movies, Bogart's equal but a far sexier guy. I love his delivery of the voice over narration in Wilder's film. Holden lets you glimpse the potential decency in his character before the corruption sets in. It's a great performance.

Tom, do you have the dvd with the unused footage of the corpse being delivered to the morgue? Billy Wilder's rather cryptic and sardonic nature really came to fruition in that movie for sure, and the monkey funeral is my favorite part, along with of course anything done by good old Erich von Stroheim. If they had remade this film I would have cast Miquel Ferrer in that part and too bad he is gone from us sadly.

2 minutes ago, ChristineHoard said:

I can't turn you in when I agree with everything you said about Holden.  :)

Gloria was 53 (according to HALLIWELL'S FILMGOER'S COMPANION).  I think she looked fine and I felt that way at pre-50 years old and post-50 years old.  As Bill Holden tells her, "There's nothing wrong with being 50."  A great movie and one of my all-time favorites.  1950 was an excellent year for films with three of my favorites:  SUNSET BLVD., ALL ABOUT EVE and ASPHALT JUNGLE.  Maybe even better than 1939!

Thanks, dahling! Don't get me wrong, I think reflecting on how any normal and glamorous woman of 1950 would have looked, that Swanson looks quite nice. It's just that women then did not aspire I think to look like teenyboppers or constantly in their 20's, even when they are much older. Consequently I think Swanson's hairdos and make-up reflect her wish to look attractive but in a mature way appropriate to then styles. Body wise she actually seems to be in great shape. She's marvelous in the part for sure! Hope that clears up any misconceptions I might have caused about her appearance in the film.

6 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

Thanks, dahling! Don't get me wrong, I think reflecting on how any normal and glamorous woman of 1950 would have looked, that Swanson looks quite nice. It's just that women then did not aspire I think to look like teenyboppers or constantly in their 20's, even when they are much older. Consequently I think Swanson's hairdos and make-up reflect her wish to look attractive but in a mature way appropriate to then styles. Body wise she actually seems to be in great shape. She's marvelous in the part for sure! Hope that clears up any misconceptions I might have caused about her appearance in the film.

No problem; no misconceptions.

• Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

Tom, do you have the dvd with the unused footage of the corpse being delivered to the morgue? Billy Wilder's rather cryptic and sardonic nature really came to fruition in that movie for sure, and the monkey funeral is my favorite part, along with of course anything done by good old Erich von Stroheim. If they had remade this film I would have cast Miquel Ferrer in that part and too bad he is gone from us sadly.

I don't know who Miquel Ferrer was but I do know Mel Ferrer and he would have been GREAT as the dead monkey!

Sorry, Ferrer fans out there. Outside of one film (Scaramouche) I'm not a fan.

3 minutes ago, TomJH said:

I don't know who Miquel Ferrer was but I do know Mel Ferrer and he would have been GREAT as the dead monkey!

Sorry, Ferrer fans out there. Outside of one film (Scaramouche) I'm not a fan.

Miquel is Jose Ferrer's son by Rosemary Clooney and played Arnold on the original "Twin Peaks". He is the spitting image of his dad and has a very dry sense of humor. Now I love Jose's work in films but Mel kind of left me cold, so I might have to agree with you here about playing the dead monkey. There was one film he was in that I liked his acting but now I can't remember what it was...boo hoo!

• Thanks 1