Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've never seen GOLDEN BOY, LHF, and based on your comments posted elsewhere in this thread I don't think I want to.

Based on the photo posted of William Holden (the one without the cleft in his chin), I think he looks right age-wise for GOLDEN BOY. 

I like SUNSET BOULEVARD, but from the first time I saw it I thought that the age difference between his Joe and Swanson's Norma didn't appear to be that much.

I see that she was 51 and he was 32 when the movie was released, but I think she looks her age and that he looks older than his age in the movie. 

Holden aged so much between GOLDEN BOY AND SUNSET that it almost looks like two different actors.

Like somebody said in an earlier post,Bill Holden was on the verge of losing the title role in Golden Boy,Stanwyck made pressure to keep him on the film,as for his aging over the years,Bill was a very heavy boozer from almost day one,he was lacking confidence, 10-12 years later in Stalag 17 it was starting to show,it grew worse in the early 60's he looked really older in Counterfeit Traitor in  1961 and in Network in 76-77 he looked at least 12-15 years older than he really was.Do not forget he died at only 63 but looked much more and the way he died is really sad,he was one of my favorite actors.

Gloria Swanson always looked fantastic,she was breathtaking in the late 20's- if you have a chance have a look in Sadie Thompson.She is my choice with Hedy Lamarr as the most beautiful actress in the first 50 years of the silver screen,as for her looks in Sunset Boulevard she was simply a stunning 'Cougar' i might say,a perfect one,beautiful,cultured and rich,too bad Holden's character did not appreciate her,she might acted differently in the film! She should have win an Oscar that year fo her performance

Sunset Boulevard is a great film, one of my favourites by Billie Wilder (actually, one of my favourite films, period.)

I don't agree with the poster who said they disliked the ending. It's a perfect ending; any  kind of happier ending would seriously diminish and trivialize everything in the story that had gone before.

This movie has everything (hey, I sound like SNL's Stefan); a clever, cynical screenplay - not one wrong word, nor one word too many -, an intriguing, weird, gothic story, fabulous noir lighting and mise en scene, unforgettable performances by Holden and Swanson.

It's at once sad, funny, cynical, bizarre, suspenseful, wise, and hugely entertaining.

edit: Aargh, idiotic mistake...should of course be BILLY Wilder.

• Like 4

i like the movie as it is personnally,but if i remember well,Wilder made a sneak preview in a theater after the preview,he changed the beginning which was Holden  in a morgue talking to the other bodies .Explaining why he is there,the audience laughed too much and Wilder changed the beginning,i do not remember if the ending was altered though .

i like the movie as it is personnally,but if i remember well,Wilder made a sneak preview in a theater after the preview,he changed the beginning which was Holden  in a morgue talking to the other bodies .Explaining why he is there,the audience laughed too much and Wilder changed the beginning,i do not remember if the ending was altered though .

Yes, it was good that he did. The beginning of the final edit I'm sure works better.......

I've never seen GOLDEN BOY, LHF, and based on your comments posted elsewhere in this thread I don't think I want to.

Based on the photo posted of William Holden (the one without the cleft in his chin), I think he looks right age-wise for GOLDEN BOY. 

I like SUNSET BOULEVARD, but from the first time I saw it I thought that the age difference between his Joe and Swanson's Norma didn't appear to be that much.

I see that she was 51 and he was 32 when the movie was released, but I think she looks her age and that he looks older than his age in the movie. 

I think maybe Holden looks older in SB is becasue of the contrast between him and Nancy Olsen? His character is very cynical and world-weary and she's all fresh-faced and idealistic. She pretends to be a worldly working woman, professional and realistic, but she's not at all--she's very young and very shiny and new.

As for Swanson, Ive read that she actually didn;t look 50 and they had to "age" her up a bit with harsh makeup and lighting.

I think maybe Holden looks older in SB is because of the contrast between him and Nancy Olsen? .

That and the gallons of vodka he'd consumed since 1939. That might've had something to do with it.

by the time of "the Wild Bunch" he looks like one of the trees from "The Wizard of Oz."

• Like 1

I think maybe Holden looks older in SB is becasue of the contrast between him and Nancy Olsen?

As for Swanson, Ive read that she actually didn;t look 50 and they had to "age" her up a bit with harsh makeup and lighting.

That and the gallons of vodka he'd consumed since 1939. That might've had something to do with it.

I think it's a combination of William Holden looking older than his age (and his heavy drinking was a major reason for it) and Gloria Swanson looking younger than her age (even with lighting and make-up used to "age 'her). 

William Holden looks at least 40 in SUNSET BOULEVARD.

I just noticed, I spelt Billy Wilder's name incorrectly on my earlier post here, (I spelt it "Billie", like it was Billie Holiday or something.)

I'm embarrassed that I made such a dumb and obvious mistake (if at all in doubt, I usually look it up), and surprised others didn't point it out to me.

BillY Wilder. Billy. Not Billie.

I just noticed, I spelt Billy Wilder's name incorrectly on my earlier post here, (I spelt it "Billie", like it was Billie Holiday or something.)

I'm embarrassed that I made such a dumb and obvious mistake (if at all in doubt, I usually look it up), and surprised others didn't point it out to me.

The spelling police has been on hiatus.

See if you can get paid for it.

I just looked up Sunset Boulevard on the TCM database to see if it's airing anytime soon.

It isn't, but I did find out a couple of interesting, albeit trivial things.

1) I always thought the film's title was spelled out in full- ie, "Sunset Boulevard". But in the database, you won't find it that way. They have it as "Sunset Blvd."

Not an important distinction, I suppose, but now I'm wondering how the title reads in the actual movie credits. I'll have to check it out next time I watch it.

2) The TCM database says that the alternative title for "Sunset Boulevard" (or "Blvd.") was "A Can of Beans".

Really? Or was that some kind of in-joke between Wilder and the producers/crew/cast ??

See if you can get paid for it.

I just looked up Sunset Boulevard on the TCM database to see if it's airing anytime soon.

It isn't, but I did find out a couple of interesting, albeit trivial things.

1) I always thought the film's title was spelled out in full- ie, "Sunset Boulevard". But in the database, you won't find it that way. They have it as "Sunset Blvd."

Not an important distinction, I suppose, but now I'm wondering how the title reads in the actual movie credits. I'll have to check it out next time I watch it.

2) The TCM database says that the alternative title for "Sunset Boulevard" (or "Blvd.") was "A Can of Beans".

Really? Or was that some kind of in-joke between Wilder and the producers/crew/cast ??

I always thought it was "BLVD".

I think it's called "Sunset Blvd." per the opening shot in the film:

28umfed.jpg

This movie is on the Netflix Instant Queue right now for anyone that has Netflix and wants to watch it. 

My husband and I are in the process of buying a house and I am definitely going to get this Sunset Boulevard poster for our movie theater room we're going to put in.

21nqi5g.jpg

• Like 2

Maybe you were confusing him with Billie Dawn, the Oscar-winning role in another movie that year.

I think it's called "Sunset Blvd." per the opening shot in the film:

28umfed.jpg

Yes, the title is stylized onscreen as "SUNSET BLVD." in the opening shot of the curb, but it was always denoted as "SUNSET BOULEVARD" on the movie posters and in press releases: 

sunset-boulevard-movie-poster-1950-10201

poster-sunset-boulevard_04.jpg