Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

That book looks amazing. Maybe I should try to get a copy and you, me and Hibi can form a "That Girl and Phil" book club.

That Girl and Phil  is now awaiting pickup by me at the library.

I'll probably pick it up tomorrow.

Ah man.  My library system doesn't have this book! I'll have to check the other library system of my hometown of Salem to see if they have this book.  Maybe the capital of Oregon can pull through for me.  It's just as well though.  I have 6 other books checked out from the library right now.  I don't know what I was thinking.

Ah man.  My library system doesn't have this book! I'll have to check the other library system of my hometown of Salem to see if they have this book.  Maybe the capital of Oregon can pull through for me.  It's just as well though.  I have 6 other books checked out from the library right now.  I don't know what I was thinking.

Yes, I was reading Vera Capary's novel Laura that was the basis of the movie.

I've read a lot about he book and have read excerpts but have never read the book itself.

I'm thinking That Girl and Phil will take my attention away from Laura for awhile, but That Girl and Phil will probably be a fast read.

My copy came in the mail on Sat. and I devoured it instantly. It's like a train wreck, you cant look away. Each chapter is related to a specific incident (and there are many)  Lots of laughs. Truly incredible how the other half live (and act) I received the paperback version which has added information about stuff that happened during his book tour and after the original book was published. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! :D

A real eye opener for THAT GIRL fans.............

Its easy to read and not too long. You can finish it off in a day or two. And believe me, ITS WORTH THE READ!!!!! :D

Yes, I was reading Vera Capary's novel Laura that was the basis of the movie.

I've read a lot about he book and have read excerpts but have never read the book itself.

I'm thinking That Girl and Phil will take my attention away from Laura for awhile, but That Girl and Phil will probably be a fast read.

Yes, It is. You could finish it off in a day or two. I'm trying to read it slowly as I dont want it to END! Tons of laughs and eyebrow raising behaviour.............

Yes, It is. You could finish it off in a day or two. I'm trying to read it slowly as I dont want it to END! Tons of laughs and eyebrow raising behaviour.............

I just came across this thread - I may have to check this book out myself, Hibi.  I should always consult you on my entertainment choices... ;)

I just came across this thread - I may have to check this book out myself, Hibi.  I should always consult you on my entertainment choices... ;)

LOL. It's tons of fun, if you can find a copy. I paid a dollar for an e-bay copy. Money well spent!!! :D

Try your inter-library loan system. Fill out a form, and your own library serches for the book in other libraries and they can borrow it for you at no cost.

My copy came in the mail on Sat. and I devoured it instantly. It's like a train wreck, you cant look away. Each chapter is related to a specific incident (and there are many)  Lots of laughs. Truly incredible how the other half live (and act) I received the paperback version which has added information about stuff that happened during his book tour and after the original book was published. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! :D

A real eye opener for THAT GIRL fans.............

The copy I have from the library is  a hard cover edition.

I picked it up yesterday.

I had to really suppress a big smile when the person from the circulation desk brought it to me. 

I'm not sure I was that successful.

And, let's not forget that it was I (Holden) who first mentioned this book in this thread.

The front flap of the book jacket alludes to some of the "episodes" detailed in the book:

"The Missing Designer Gown" or "Marlo Acts Like A K-Mart Shopper At A Blue Light Special" 

"The Thankgsgiving Marlo Sent The Turkey Into Orbit"

"The Case of The Not-White-Enough Tulips" 

"The Great Shoe Countdown: Imelda Marcos Meets Her Match"

The back of the book jacket details the "The Many Faces of That Girl":

That Cookie Monster

That Lady of the House

That Employer

The copy I have from the library is  a hard cover edition.

I picked it up yesterday.

I had to really suppress a big smile when the person from the circulation desk brought it to me. 

I'm not sure I was that successful.

And, let's not forget that it was I (Holden) who first mentioned this book in this thread.

The front flap of the book jacket alludes to some of the "episodes" detailed in the book:

"The Missing Designer Gown" or "Marlo Acts Like A K-Mart Shopper At A Blue Light Special" 

"The Thankgsgiving Marlo Sent The Turkey Into Orbit"

"The Case of The Not-White-Enough Tulips" 

"The Great Shoe Countdown: Imelda Marcos Meets Her Match"

The back of the book jacket details the "The Many Faces of That Girl":

That Cookie Monster

That Lady of the House

That Employer

LOL. Yes, you mentioned it first, but I was aware of the book since it came out, just never got around to reading it.I DO thank you for mentioning it again and motivating me to get a hold of it!

I'm glad I got the paperback copy as he added stuff after the book was published that happened (more laughs!)

Sounds like it'd be great to keep in the crapper.

LOL. Easy to put down and pick up again, as you dont have to remember any chronology. The chapters are short too. Just breeze from one incident to the next!

LOL. Easy to put down and pick up again, as you dont have to remember any chronology. The chapters are short too. Just breeze from one incident to the next!

Damn. I'm gonna have to order it now.

Sounds like a better title for TG&P would be:

"That Girl, This ****."

Damn. I'm gonna have to order it now.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the book, LHF, so I hope you either buy the book or get it from the library.

Desmond Atholl (the former Thomas-Donahue majordomo who wrote That Girl and Phil)  does acknowledge in Chapter 1 ("First Meeting") that Marlo Thomas was a very geneous employer, paying her staff "well above the market rate." 

I love this bit from the book jacket flap:

"Desmond Atholl, every milionaire's dream of a household steward, proves that he's also a born storyteller with this sidesplitting account of how he somehow managed to satisfy every whim of the demanding lady of the house with a lot of hard work and little bit of luck (a word that rhymes with Marlo's favorite expletive)."

LOL. And they earned every penny of it. Marlo's favorite phrase to the help seemed to be You F-cker(s)!!!

Makes you wonder how she managed to attract help after the book came out.............

I'm about halfway through.......

For me the most shocking episode so far is the Thanksgiving dinner, when Marlo explodes and lets rip all this foul language in front of her parents. Poor Danny!

• Like 1

do you remember how Marlo recorded that TCM tribute to Loretta Young when she was the SOTM a year or so ago?

remember how close to the end she mentioned Loretta loaned her "her personal dresser Wurley to do my clothes for THAT GIRL"?

Poor guy! I wonder if she just shipped him UPS.

• Like 2

do you remember how Marlo recorded that TCM tribute to Loretta Young when she was the SOTM a year or so ago?

remember how close to the end she mentioned Loretta loaned her "her personal dresser Wurley to do my clothes for THAT GIRL"?

Yes. LOL. They've been running that tribute a lot lately for some reason. I doubt Loretta would approve of Marlo's foul language and behaviour (but she'd make a mint with her swear box if she were still around)......

One thing about Marlo Thomas's tribute to Loretta Young that stood out to me was that Marlo referred to her TV series as THAT GIRL (with the stress on the word "girl").

I always refer to the series as THAT GIRL (stressing the word "that").

What word do you guys stress?