Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

One thing about Marlo Thomas's tribute to Loretta Young that stood out to me was that Marlo referred to her TV series as THAT GIRL (with the stress on the word "girl").

I always refer to the series as THAT GIRL (stressing the word "that').

What word do you guys stress?

THAT!

Yes. LOL. They've been running that tribute a lot lately for some reason. I doubt Loretta would approve of Marlo's foul language and behaviour (but she'd make a mint with her swear box if she were still around)......

Ha!

Twenty million in rolls of quarters and dimes.

One thing about Marlo Thomas's tribute to Loretta Young that stood out to me was that Marlo referred to her TV series as THAT GIRL (with the stress on the word "girl").

I always refer to the series as THAT GIRL (stressing the word "that").

I think you're stressing too much.

• Like 2

One thing about Marlo Thomas's tribute to Loretta Young that stood out to me was that Marlo referred to her TV series as THAT GIRL (with the stress on the word "girl").

I always refer to the series as THAT GIRL (stressing the word "that").

I have always gone with THAT Girl. In the series intro, both are emphasized.. though I feel GIRL may have been so in order to facilitate the melody of the show's theme song. So I'm sticking with THAT Girl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YqbWb2hRH0

I have always gone with THAT Girl. In the series intro, both are emphasized.. though I feel GIRL may have been so in order to facilitate the melody of the show's theme song. So I'm sticking with THAT Girl.

I always preferred the THAT GIRL openings that were instrumental (without lyrics).

I think the lyrics were added for the final season.

Lyrics were also added to ROSEANNE theme for the final season.

LOL. Maybe Marlo sent Loretta a check after the book came out...........

from page 124, That Girl and Phil-

"I had just finished setting the new tulips in the new flutes for the newly rescheduled and relocated luncheon when I heard the unmistakeable roar of Marlo emanating from the other side of the pantry door:

' You know what, Loretta? F*** you and f*** your f***ing swear jar...You can f***ing take it and you can f***ing sit on it and you can f***ing spin until, everyf***ingwhere you go, you sound like a G**D*** coin purse someone left in the washer."

This was followed by Marlo's heels on the hardwood fast approaching. I hurried to fill the last of the flutes as there was a sudden pause right before I expected her to come bursting in. Clearly turning to Judy, I heard her say:

'By the way, what they say about Gable being your dad? It's f***ing true.' "

• Like 2

I ordered the Marlo book on amazon and I'm waiting for it to come in the mail.  The thread made me do it.  ;)

LOL! Cant wait to hear your impressions.......

"I had just finished setting the new tulips in the new flutes for the newly rescheduled and relocated luncheon when I heard the unmistakeable roar of Marlo emanating from the other side of the pantry door:

' You know what, Loretta? F*** you and f*** your f***ing swear jar...You can f***ing take it and you can f***ing sit on it and you can f***ing spin until, everyf***ingwhere you go, you sound like a G**D*** coin purse someone left in the washer."

This was followed by Marlo's heels on the hardwood fast approaching. I hurried to fill the last of the flutes as there was a sudden pause right before I expected her to come bursting in. Clearly turning to Judy, I heard her say:

LMREO!!!!

Wasn't Donahue some.kind of.therapist? I wonder.if.he ever.worked.on her, from.a.clinical point of view. I get the impression he didn't. Although, from just the little I've gleaned.of this book, I have a feeling this tell-all was his form of therapy.

Wasn't Donahue some.kind of.therapist? I wonder.if.he ever.worked.on her, from.a.clinical point of view. I get the impression he didn't. Although, from just the little I've gleaned.of this book, I have a feeling this tell-all was his form of therapy.

I'm not sure about Donahue's clinical background, but the book was written by a former servant/assistant of the couple's, not Phil .

There was a very itneresting review on amazon.com about how Marlo fired a chinese laundress who worked for her because she got pregnant, only she didn't want to make it seem like she fired her for getting pregnant. The spurned woman got in touch with Phil- who just happened to be doing a show that afternoon after gender discrimination in the workplace and he went ballistic.

(the book does make Phil look good, from the concensus I'd gotten...)

I'm not sure about Donahue's clinical background, but the book was written by a former servant/assistant of the couple's, not Phil .

There was a very itneresting review on amazon.com about how Marlo fired a chinese laundress who worked for her because she got pregnant, only she didn't want to make it seem like she fired her for getting pregnant. The spurned woman got in touch with Phil- who just happened to be doing a show that afternoon after gender discrimination in the workplace and he went ballistic.

Well Arnold, the gov of CA,  had a similar problem but in that case,,,  his wife had reasons to be upset!   

I read this review the other day, and it really peaked my interest to read the book...

Yes, Phil comes off ok in the book so far. He's not mentioned that much and seems a laid back kind of guy, the opposite of Marlo....

Yes, Phil comes off ok in the book so far. He's not mentioned that much and seems a laid back kind of guy, the opposite of Marlo....

Still, on another note, you have to wonder why he would put up with behavior like that, even if she left him alone...

Still, on another note, you have to wonder why he would put up with behavior like that, even if she left him alone...

Yeah, that part is not explained. Not to mention the gazillions of dollars she spends on upkeep, renovations etc. The floral bills alone must be around the budget of a third world country..........

is it just awful that the first thing that came to my mind on reading the annecdote about the fired Chinese laundress was "oh god that's just my luck, my fired, pregnant Chinese laundress would just manage to get past security on the day that my husband was just happening to tape a show on gender discrimination in the workplace. The timing of it all! "

So any reactions from book club members? (THAT Girl and Phil) Are you reading it?

I've only read the introductions and the first 2 chapters so far ("The First Meeting" and the chapter about the futile and EXPENSIVE quest for the pure white tulips (since cream/off-white tulips were apparently gosh and/or passé).

In the first meeting chapter, it was interesting that Desmond didn't wear his fur coat for fear of possibly offending Marlo's sensibilities, but his cashmere ended up being "devoured" (Desmond's word) by the animal skins in the Thomas-Donahue closet.

As to the question about Phil Donahue's clinical background. The book describes that he was a reporter/broadcaster from the Midwest, not a psychologist. He started his talk show at a station in Dayton OH then moved to the larger Chicago market where his show eventually became nationally syndicated. The show eventually moved its operations to New York.

(The book doesn't mention this ----or hasn't so far---- but I think Oprah Winfrey's popularity was a factor that drove Donahue out of Chicago. Visitors were flocking to her tapings rather than to his.)     

I've only read the introductions and the first 2 chapters so far ("The First Meeting" and the chapter about the futile and EXPENSIVE quest for the pure white tulips (since cream/off-white tulips were apparently gosh and/or passé).

In the first meeting chapter, it was interesting that Desmond didn't wear his fur coat for fear of possibly offending Marlo's sensibilities, but his cashmere ended up being "devoured" (Desmond's word) by the animal skins in the Thomas-Donahue closet.

As to the question about Phil Donahue's clinical background. The book describes that he was a reporter/broadcaster from the Midwest, not a psychologist. He started his talk show at a station in Dayton OH then moved to the larger Chicago market where his show eventually became nationally syndicated. The show eventually moved its operations to New York.

(The book doesn't mention this ----or hasn't so far---- but I think Oprah Winfrey's popularity was a factor that drove Donahue out of Chicago. Visitors were flocking to her tapings rather than to his.)     

Yes, I remember Phil from his Dayton Ohio days before he branched out. And it was Oprah's popularity that eased Phil out. Towards the end he lost his NYC outlet and saw the writing on the wall. Think he retired soon after..