Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Kinda OT: SNL disappointment

Sepiatone

That 40 year "reunion" anniversary "celebration" should have been called "SNL 25".  As it seemed to be more of a "hard sell" approach to try and convince people that the last 25 years of the show WEREN'T as unfunny as they really were.( or, funnier than they were).

It seemed that every now and then someone would remember to throw in a second or two of some clip form the first five-six seasons in "don't blink or you'll miss it" fashion.

And that simple minded "The Californians" sketch appeared to be a reminder of how UNfunny the show had become over the last 30 years!  Even BETTY WHITE couldn't save it!

Plus, I'm also disappointed that they "chickened out" during the "sports on SNL" segment and didn't show any clips from the show that OJ SIMPSON hosted back in the '70's.

Not enough LARAINE NEWMAN.  No mention of how often ELLIOT GOULD hosted the show.  In fact HE hosted the FIRST show when the entire "Not ready For Prime Time Players"  cast was replaced in 1980 (or was it '81?)

Anyway, it would have been better if the show's history had been presented in clips of classic sketches and done chronologically, rather than the "leapfrog" method that kept being played by the casts of the last 20-25 years.  That Chevy Chase-Richard Pryor "Word association test" sketch WAS "classic"  That was when the show didn't aim for the lower common denominators.

Plus, that "film" segment never got around to the irony filled short film by Schiller in which an "old" JOHN BELUSHI, in a fine make-up job, plays the "last surviving member"  visiting the "Not Ready For Prime Time Cemetery"! which ends with HIM, the FIRST cast member to die, dancing on all their graves! 

Of course, this is just MY opinion....

Sepiatone

While I enjoyed it overall, yep Sepia, I think you've made some valid critiques here.

And now, perhaps my favorite moment of the night: Jane Curtin's return to the Weekend Update desk and her line...

"I used to be the only pretty blonde woman reading the fake news, and now there's a whole network devoted to that."

• Like 3

Btw...

Attention Sir Paul: It might be time to EITHER start singing your songs an octave lower, OR maybe just retire your voice completely, ol' boy. Or, as my wife commented while watching you last night..."Gee, what a shame he's butchering my favorite post-Beatles song of his here!"

(...though I gotta say I DID enjoy the OTHER Paul reprising my all time favorite song of HIS for this occasion..."Still Crazy After All These Years")

Not enough LARAINE NEWMAN.  

Sepiatone

Not enough Laraine Newman??.....heck they didn't even acknowledge that she was ever part of SNL that i am aware of,and i watched the whole thing.

Not even in their remembrance of past SNL actors,ie;John Belushi etc. did they ever mention her.

The Only thing i saw concerning her was the photo of John Belushi which showed him sitting beside her,but they never mentioned who she was.

Laraine was with SNL for 5 yrs.bet.1975-1980,but they treated her as though she never existed.

If i'm missing something please let me know cuz i recorded the event and can go back and watch again,but i have no memory of ever seeing or hearing anything about her(except the photo).

Not enough Laraine Newman??.....heck they didn't even acknowledge that she was ever part of SNL that i am aware of,and i watched the whole thing.

Not even in their remembrance of past SNL actors,ie;John Belushi etc. did they ever mention her.

The Only thing i saw concerning her was the photo of John Belushi which showed him sitting beside her,but they never mentioned who she was.

Laraine was with SNL for 5 yrs.bet.1975-1980,but they treated her as though she never existed.

If i'm missing something please let me know cuz i recorded the event and can go back and watch again.

Well jr, maybe because Laraine is now so unrecognizable from her previous self(that nose-job she had years ago perhaps being the prime "culprit" here), maybe THAT'S why you missed seeing her or at least recognizing her in a few of the sketches on last night's telecast?!

(...'cause she was definitely in that lame "The Californians" skit and in another one, as I recall)

unfortunately I was only able to watch the first hour of that snl 40th anniversary special on nbc because of poor cable service all day sunday as a result of the recent overblown storm neptune.
the highlight for me was watching sean connery plague alex trebek during celebrity jeopardy. first he pronounces "who reads" as "**** ads" which has everyone in the place guffawing then later he pronounces "let it snow" as "le **** now" and after that connery and everyone were laughing just as hard as they could at trebek.
then later around midnite the cable goes out big time and even the few channels we were getting all day sunday were off,
terrific.
this morning everything's back on.
I be looking to ID this particular snl skit from either the late 80s or early 90s so maybe one of you geniuses can help me.
the guest host was an original cast member, either chevy chase or bill murray.
the skit: a jungle party runs afoul of a dinosaur. a t-rex grabs one of the party members in it's mouth and for about four or five minutes follows hilarity. the dinosaur keeps roaring and the guy keeps screaming in his mouth. I was laughing so hard I almost hadda go.
so if any of you know what season and ep that skit is from I would be grateful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs48xa0VwHk

This is why people post their new threads in "General Discussions", regardless of the topic. It's where the action is.

The other thread about the SNL special was started a day earlier, but it's in another forum.

I'm not whining, just making a simple statement. Those who insist certain thread topics should be limited to specific forums, this thread and the one in the "Chit Chat" forum are proof that General Discussions is the place to go.

"The Californians" was the reason I never watch SNL any more. It is very UNFUNNY. They gave way to much time to that crap. Not funny at all, Like someone said "Even Betty White" could not save it. They should have play more of the early years when it was funny and well written. Jeopardy was a classic and it's as funny today as when it first aired.

• Like 1

This is why people post their new threads in "General Discussions", regardless of the topic. It's where the action is.

The other thread about the SNL special was started a day earlier, but it's in another forum.

I'm not whining, just making a simple statement. Those who insist certain thread topics should be limited to specific forums, this thread and the one in the "Chit Chat" forum are proof that General Discussions is the place to go.

If one uses the 'view new content' feature the 'action' comes to them.   They don't have to seek it.

Just an idea for those unaware of this feature.

But yea,  since many don't use that feature if one wishes to have their thread seen putting it in General Discussions is the way to go.

Well jr, maybe because Laraine is now so unrecognizable from her previous self(that nose-job she had years ago perhaps being the prime "culprit" here), maybe THAT'S why you missed seeing her or at least recognizing her in a few of the sketches on last night's telecast?!

Well...it is possible that i just didn't recognize her i guess...i have it saved on a HDD so i'll watch it again later this week or maybe next weekend.

Well...it is possible that i just didn't recognize her i guess...i have it saved on a HDD so i'll watch it again later this week or maybe next weekend.

Here's Laraine in last night's "The Californians" skit...seated on the left and in pink.

463535082-pictured-laraine-newman-bill-h

(...yeah, that's right...the woman who NOW one couldn't tell from Stevie Nicks!!!)

Plus, that "film" segment never got around to the irony filled short film by Schiller in which an "old" JOHN BELUSHI, in a fine make-up job, plays the "last surviving member"  visiting the "Not Ready For Prime Time Cemetery"! which ends with HIM, the FIRST cast member to die, dancing on all their graves! 

The film you mention was used as the intro for the tribute to the SNL cast and crew who had died.

If there's a hint of politics (like the one I recently started about Suns News Network going off the air), I'll put it in Off-Topics.

Otherwise, I recommend putting anything else here in GD. Let 'em move it if it bothers 'em.

Here's Laraine in last night's "The Californians" skit...seated on the left and in pink.

463535082-pictured-laraine-newman-bill-h

(...yeah, that's right...the woman who NOW one couldn't tell from Stevie Nicks!!!)

Still cute as a kitty's ears. I was gonna say lookin' like Stella Stevens, but Stevie works too.

"The Californians" was the reason I never watch SNL any more. It is very UNFUNNY. They gave way to much time to that crap. Not funny at all, Like someone said "Even Betty White" could not save it. They should have play more of the early years when it was funny and well written. Jeopardy was a classic and it's as funny today as when it first aired.

The Jeopardy sketches were from the 1990s, right? Wasn't Will Ferrell Alex Trebek?

Still cute as a kitty's ears. I was gonna say lookin' like Stella Stevens. But Stevie works too.

Yeah dark, I suppose Laraine might have a little Stella...STEL-LAAAA(sorry, can't resist doin' my Brando whenever I say that name) Stevens thing goin' on there too.

(...but mostly Stevie, I think)

Bradley Cooper shouldn't have worn that tank top in the Californians sketch.

Not flattering at all.

I would have liked to have seen more of Molly Shannon and Andy Samberg.

At least Samberg had that song with Adam Sandler and, of course, the film montage included the hilarious "d**k in a box" song with Samberg and Justin Timberlake.

you know, it does bother me that when nbc has one of their frequent primetime snl specials lorne michaels or whoever it is insists on throwing alotta stuff with kristen wiig and the newer crappier regulars at us. just how stupid does lorne michaels think we are? kids with their ipads and iphones may be laughin' at some of this newer recent garbage but older fans are most definitely not. I find it insulting they throw scenes of the most recent newer crop of no-talents at us.

the last two regulars who had been carrying the show on life support in recent years had been bill hader and darrell hammond and the others stinkeroo.

snl's current writers have lacked even the fundamental comedic intuition to have had kristen wiig doing the kinda skits cheri oteri was doing ten years before.

wiig has a manic persona that could come off funny if she had been handed the right material but lorne michaels no longer cares who is writing the material for his show now. that's the problem.