Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lesley Gore has died

ElCid

Son of a ****!

This really p!sses me off. I loved Lesley back in the day. She was beautiful (those eyes!!) and a great pop singer.

Anyone remember how cute she was as Catwoman's protégé on 'Batman'?

This sucks.

So sorry to hear this! I met her at a party once (it wasn't her party).  She was so sweet.

Oh my!  My mom is a fan of hers and she passed it on to me; I first heard her "Golden Hits" album (on vinyl) when I was about seven or eight.  I always liked her use of overdubbing.  She  had a pretty extensive catalogue with a variety of songs beyond "It's My Party" that I highly encourage everyone to check out if they get a chance, including the bubbly follow-up song, "Judy's Turn to Cry." 

Oh my!  My mom is a fan of hers and she passed it on to me; I first heard her "Golden Hits" album (on vinyl) when I was about seven or eight.  I always liked her use of overdubbing.  She  had a pretty extensive catalogue with a variety of songs beyond "It's My Party" that I highly encourage everyone to check out if they get a chance, including the bubbly follow-up song, "Judy's Turn to Cry." 

'You Don't Own Me' was a great anthem, ahead of its time by several years.

My own favorite of her hits was the relatively minor one, 'Look of Love'. Such a heartbreaking lyric for such an up tempo. Gets to me every time.

'You Don't Own Me' was a great anthem, ahead of its time by several years.

My own favorite of her hits was the relatively minor one, 'Look of Love'. Such a heartbreaking lyric for such an up tempo. Gets to me every time.

I LOVE "Look of Love". My personal favorites of hers are "That's The Way Boys Are" (even though I feel conflicted each time I listen to it), "Off and Running", "Maybe I Know", "Just Let Me Cry", and the deep, almost heartbreaking "What Am I Gonna So With You?" The latter is so mellow and introspective.

Unlike other pop singers (Johnny Mathis, Cliff Richard, Barry Manilow), Lesley Gore had the courage to come out.

Johnny Mathis has never hidden his sexuality. He has said a number of times that he just believes in privacy, and doesnt want to put all of his personal business out for everyone to scrutinize.

Lesley Gore was the face of Rock and Roll for a while before the British Invasion.   When I was growing up I use to watch her on the "Shindig" and "Hullabaloo" shows.  She was one of the headliners in the T.A.M.I movie in 1966.  It really irks me that the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame committee has never considered her for admission.  

I worked with her back on "The Clay Cole Show" in the mid 60's when I was working at WPIX. Anyone around at that time in N.Y. will remember the early Rock&Roll show. She was on the show a few times and a real sweetheart. So sad to hear.

Just heard about Gary Owens passing away last week. Loved him on "Laugh-In", the classic radio announcer with one hand over his ear. Use to listen to his radio show when I lived  in Hollywood on KMPC. A very funny man....

Gore sang a song or two in  a film which also featured singing by the early Beach Boys. Does anyone know what film this was, and what songs she sang?

She co-starred in a film called "The T.A.M.I. Show" with The Beach Boys, Chuck Berry, Diana Ross and the Supremes, among others. A rock fest in the early 60's. She sang "IT's My Party" and "You Don't Me".....

She co-starred in a film called "The T.A.M.I. Show" with The Beach Boys, Chuck Berry, Diana Ross and the Supremes, among others. A rock fest in the early 60's. She sang "IT's My Party" and "You Don't Me".....

That's not it. This was a movie with college kids, fraternities and sororities, and maybe surfing.

Gore sang a song or two in  a film which also featured singing by the early Beach Boys. Does anyone know what film this was, and what songs she sang?

The Girls On the Beach- I watched this one on TCM a year or 2 ago. Noreen Cocoran ( Bachelor Father) was also in this film. Lesley Gore sang Leave Me Alone and It's Gotta Be You in the film.

Was shocked and devastated to hear this Monday night. As soon as they showed her picture and It's My Party started playing on the news,  I knew it was to announce she died. Much too young. What would the 60's be without Lesley Gore??? She was HUGE in the first half of the decade. Then she left her career behind to go to college. Only 68. :( I have a best of 2 CD set of her hits (she had so many), but dont want to play it now as it will depress me. :(. It's My Party and I'll Cry If I Want To...............Goodbye, Lesley. I think my favorites were Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows, such a fun, upbeat song (an early hit for Marvin Hamlisch) and You Dont Own Me which developed into a feminist anthem later on.....

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings