Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TheCid

Lesley Gore has died

So sorry to hear this! I met her at a party once (it wasn't her party).  She was so sweet.

Really? When was this?

Lesley Gore was the face of Rock and Roll for a while before the British Invasion.   When I was growing up I use to watch her on the "Shindig" and "Hullabaloo" shows.  She was one of the headliners in the T.A.M.I movie in 1966.  It really irks me that the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame committee has never considered her for admission.  

Now that is sickening to hear. What class. (NOT!)

That's not it. This was a movie with college kids, fraternities and sororities, and maybe surfing.

She was also in some skiing college movie. I remember her singing, Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows on a bus. (LOL)...

That would be the 1965 American International release, "Ski Party" starring Frankie Avalon, Dawyne Hickman and Deborah Walley.

That would be the 1965 American International release, "Ski Party" starring Frankie Avalon, Dawyne Hickman and Deborah Walley.

Yeah, that's it!

Lesley Gore was the face of Rock and Roll for a while before the British Invasion. When I was growing up I use to watch her on the "Shindig" and "Hullabaloo" shows. She was one of the headliners in the T.A.M.I movie in 1966. It really irks me that the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame committee has never considered her for admission.

Lesley Gore was a proponent of the Girl Group sound (and one of the few successful solo artists in that field; others include Mary Wells and Little Eva); this sound kept the spirit of rock and roll alive in the early 60s, between the decline of the 50s rock n rollers.and the arrival of thr Beatles and start of the British Invasion. She and her talent will truly be missed.

I believe the T.A.M.I. Show was taped in late (December?) 1964, and was released in 1965. It had many top acts from the prevailing trends: American Girl Groups, Surf Bands, Soul and early Motown; and the British Invasion. An amazing lineup.

Lesley Gore was a proponent of the Girl Group sound (and one of the few successful solo artists in that field; others include Mary Wells and Little Eva); this sound kept the spirit of rock and roll alive in the early 60s, between the decline of the 50s rock n rollers.and the arrival of thr Beatles and start of the British Invasion. She and her talent will truly be missed.

I believe the T.A.M.I. Show was taped in late (December?) 1964, and was released in 1965. It had many top acts from the prevailing trends: American Girl Groups, Surf Bands, Soul and early Motown; and the British Invasion. An amazing lineup.

Little Eva? I am not exactly a novice in this area, and the only song I know of by her is "The Locomotion". I can name at least ten songs by Mary Wells.

Little Eva? I am not exactly a novice in this area, and the only song I know of by her is "The Locomotion". I can name at least ten songs by Mary Wells.

Well she didn't have a long career in the charts, but she was no One Hit Wonder. She had several Top 40 hits, after her chart topping debut. Thr only titles I can recall are "Keep Your Hands Off My Baby" (which the Beatles covered), and "Let's Turkey Trot". Incidentally, she was originally Carole King's babysitter, if I remember what it said for The Locomotion in my book of Billboard Number One Hits (sadly misplaced).

Well she didn't have a long career in the charts, but she was no One Hit Wonder. She had several Top 40 hits, after her chart topping debut. Thr only titles I can recall are "Keep Your Hands Off My Baby" (which the Beatles covered), and "Let's Turkey Trot". Incidentally, she was originally Carole King's babysitter, if I remember what it said for The Locomotion in my book of Billboard Number One Hits (sadly misplaced).

Yeah, that story is really true!

Let's see. I want to be a star. Maybe what I should is to apply for a babysitting job with a number of stars....Sort of reminds me that Evelyn 'Champagne" King ("Shame", etc.) was discovered while working as a cleaning woman at Philadelphia International Records. I guess she sang while she cleaned. Good strategy.

Wow! I hadn't known there was a Carole King connection. Carole wrote many hits - perhaps some of her talent rubbed off on Lesley.

Wow! I hadn't known there was a Carole King connection. Carole wrote many hits - perhaps some of her talent rubbed off on Lesley.

Another Carole King connection...... The "Carol" in Neil Sedaka's hit, "Oh, Carol" was Carole King, a Sedaka girlfriend when they were both teenagers.

• Like 1

Let's see. I want to be a star. Maybe what I should is to apply for a babysitting job with a number of stars....Sort of reminds me that Evelyn 'Champagne" King ("Shame", etc.) was discovered while working as a cleaning woman at Philadelphia International Records. I guess she sang while she cleaned. Good strategy.

LOL. Whatever works............

OR, you can just hope that Spielberg will one day walk into a certain spin class in a certain Philly gym, and that he'll be lookin' to cast some guy in his next project that calls for the character to be in his sixties BUT still in great shape and with a BMI of say somethin' like only 3%.

And THEN next stop will be HOLLYWOOD for ya, DGF!

(...and once you're back in sunny L.A. but THIS time rich and famous, you'll be able to afford ALL the jaywalking tickets the LAPD will ever issue you...just don't make that cardinal sin of ever asking the officers while they're writin' ya up, "Don't you know who I am?!", 'cause that NEVER plays well in the media later on, ya know!!!)  ;)

Well,.Carole.wrote Little Eva's first two hits (along with her partner Jerry Goffin), "The Locomotion" and "Keep Your Hands Off My Baby".

• Like 1

OR, you can just hope that Spielberg will one day walk into a certain spin class in a certain Philly gym, and that he'll be lookin' to cast some guy in his next project that calls for the character to be in his sixties BUT still in great shape and with a BMI of say somethin' like only 3%.

And THEN next stop will be HOLLYWOOD for ya, DGF!

(...and once you're back in sunny L.A. but THIS time rich and famous, you'll be able to afford ALL the jaywalking tickets the LAPD will ever issue you...just don't make that cardinal sin of ever asking the officers while they're writin' ya up, "Don't you know who I am?!", 'cause that NEVER plays well in the media later on, ya know!!!)  ;)

I'll bet Spielberg gets away with jaywalking all he wants. In fact, on days he has nothing to do, he often spends the day jaywalking, knowing that any cop that writes him up will be looking for a job as a security guard by the next day.